Yacht Club Service Fee

Nashna

On the MSC website they state that the automatic tipping charge is $14.50 per person, per day.  Is there an additional charge for passengers sailing in the Yacht Club or is it just assumed we would voluntarily tip extra?

MSC has mandatory Daily (Hotel) Service charge per passenger in all of their Experiences (booking classes) including YC.

Daily Service Charge is no tipping fee.

..from MSC USA website..

During your cruise, you will meet staff throughout the ship who provide you with excellent service. They are supported by just as many staff and crew who work hard behind the scenes to ensure you enjoy every moment on board. For your convenience, MSC Cruises will automatically add a daily Hotel Service Charge to your shipboard account, based on your chosen itinerary and the number of days for which the services are actually provided.

The Hotel Service charge serves to ensure we maintain the highest quality standards of service to our guests. The daily amounts below have been calculated with this in mind and cannot be modified. However, should you wish to remove any of the daily Hotel Service Charge in the unlikely event that you do not receive satisfactory service, you may do so by contacting the Guest Relations Manager onboard. If you wish, the daily Service Charge for your cruise can be added to the price of your cruise at the time of booking, rather than added to your onboard account during the cruise. Please let your booking agent know if you would like to add the Service Charge to your cruise price.

TIPS: MSC does not recommend tipping individual members of staff.

VALID UP TO SUMMER 2024

On 2/6/2023 at 3:27 PM, Nashna said:

Is there an additional charge for passengers sailing in the Yacht Club or is it just assumed we would voluntarily tip extra?

There are no other charges. We did pay extra $48 each to upgrade to streaming wifi for the week.

Just a word to the wise. It is better to be discreet in ones tipping so as not to embarrass the more thrifty gentry sharing the same venue. We novice bumpkins are not entitled to more attention that we receive in response to our largesse.

On our most recent cruise I met with the maitre d' to express my desires and then asked him if he was going to be our maitre d' for the entire cruise. He assured me he was and to 'express' my 'appreciation' that everything would be as I requested, I tipped him. Just at the moment of his hand and mine clasping an officer approached and witnessed the act. I asked the officer if he had anything to do with the dedicated restaurant and he said he was the manager of all the restaurants. I proceeded to go into my pocket again for another tip 'in kind' when the officer stopped me and said for him it is not necessary. The maitre d' chimed in and said "whenever you feel the urge to tip my boss to give it to me. I will make sure he gets it."

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Haha 2

We had sailed in the Yacht Club on Divina in January 2020.  I do know the service was excellent and we rewarded our waiter, Maitre de, the Concierge, butler and his assistant over the standard amount.     

• Like 3

We've sailed several times in YC and tip extra to those who give us exceptional and personal service. We have always recognized our server and assistant in the YC restaurant and our butler and assistant in our stateroom. We've also tipped the YC restaurant maitre de, chef and hostess(es) at times, as well as particular Top Sail butlers and bartenders, and the YC concierges. Envelopes are available via the YC concierges and they are also especially helpful with spelling people's names or helping us identify people who we only know by sight (they have images of all the crew on their computer and that has saved us more than once when we have someone whose name we never are able to catch from their badge).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Best Cat Mom said:

We've sailed several times in YC and tip extra to those who give us exceptional and personal service. We have always recognized our server and assistant in the YC restaurant and our butler and assistant in our stateroom. We've also tipped the YC restaurant maitre de, chef and hostess(es) at times, as well as particular Top Sail butlers and bartenders, and the YC concierges. Envelopes are available via the YC concierges and they are also especially helpful with spelling people's names or helping us identify people who we only know by sight (they have images of all the crew on their computer and that has saved us more than once when we have someone whose name we never are able to catch from their badge).

That's good to know.  I like the idea of the envelope rather than just the cash.  

• Like 1

Can someone provide YC tipping “guidelines”, please?  My April cruise will be my 75th cruise overall, second time on MSC but first time in YC (or similar category). I usually tip my stateroom attendant and waiter in cash (above and beyond DSC) but am stumped when it comes to butler, concierge, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Liz