Reporting on Celebrity Penthouse Suite vs HAL Pinnacle Suite

goldsmip115

By way of background, I will become 5 star mariner on HAL on my upcoming 14 night back to back cruise.  Most of my HAL cruising is because of charters and I have only sailed in Neptune or Pinnacle Suites.  In 2013 I booked a cruise in the Penthouse suite on the Summit out of Bayonne to Bermuda.  I never looked back!  I have only sailed in Penthouse Suites on the M class ships and have 9 cruises with Celebrity.  I have absolutely loved each cruise and especially the wonderful crew!  My last cruise with Celebrity was last May on Millenium in the PS.   

I am absolutely not interested in getting any nasty or snarky comments about my sailings in suites.  What I wonder is if anyone is interested in a comparison of the 2 top suites.  I am only going back to HAL because it is a back to back charter on the NA.  Otherwise I would not. I already know that there is no comparison with respect to the amenities and service and included items on HAL suites vs Celebrity suites.  However, I have noted a very valid concern about the skyrocketing prices of Celebrity suites.  As I look to book future the prices are staggering and there seems to be significant cuts in various areas.

I sail a week from Sunday for 14 nights. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Trish,

I've been waiting to read your comparison ever since I last heard from you.

I've always found your live posts and reviews both objective and informative.   Many of us that travel in upper suites understand that the experience are  not be the same as someone that is a lower classification but are interested in comparisons across shipping lines.    Like you - due to many issues we are looking at other alternatives to Celebrity and I'm sure we will find your report both entertaining as well  as informative.

Hope you also have the opportunity and time to post some good pictures.

• Like 2

Thank you, Jim_lain,

if time permits I will also post the costs that I have had to pay in advance of this cruise that are all included on Celebrity.  Stay tuned.  I recall that it is nearly $4,000 for the two weeks, all of which would have been included in a RS or a PS on Celebrity.

I would be very interested in the comparison.  We only book suites, never the very top suites yet, usually RS, but the price increase on Celebrity is making us look around, but I’m not sure what all is included on other cruise lines.  One of the things we really like is having a separate restaurant and lounge and being able to eat at all the specialty restaurants.  Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and the extra costs of things not included.

- April

1 hour ago, goldsmip115 said:

Thank you, Jim_lain,

if time permits I will also post the costs that I have had to pay in advance of this cruise that are all included on Celebrity.  Stay tuned.  I recall that it is nearly $4,000 for the two weeks, all of which would have been included in a RS or a PS on Celebrity.

Great - really curious of your thoughts once aboard.    I took a look on CruiseDeckPlans - I'm guessing your on Nieuw Amsterdam which is a little smaller than Millennium.

My first impression - purely me and just looking at pictures,but wasn't as awed as the first time I walked into the Penthouse on Millennium.    I can only assume you will really miss the Millennium Class largest deck of any ships. 

Your getting me excited.   LOL - doesn't take much while I'm sitting in my living room.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

Thank you, Jim_lain,

That would be great!  Thanks so much!!

43 minutes ago, goldsmip115 said:

OMG, will we ever miss that huge aft facing deck!  That and the 2 full baths….. and all of the other retreat amenities.  

We did penthouse on edge it was edge second sailing after Covid.( move up) totally amazing, totally separate second bedroom and bathroom , that is nicer than most cabins . Huge living room . Bathroom was bigger than most cabins. Outdoor retreat is fantastic. I didn’t like the balcony, no sun , wife liked it . Next month we are in royal suite on summit love that balcony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

OMG, will we ever miss that huge aft facing deck!  That and the 2 full baths….. and all of the other retreat amenities.  

Keep an open mind and consider it an adventure.   I'm anxious to hear of some of the positive that HAL has over Celebrity.   I'm sure you will find some and if not we will all be happy that you took one for the team

• Like 3

I’m very interested in reading your comparison.    The Retreat pricing on Celebrity is getting a bit too high for me.  My next 2 Celebrity cruises are in RS (March and April) but I have no other Celebrity cruises booked due to the outrageous Retreat pricing.  I do, however, have an MSC Yacht Club suite booked for a September sailing from NYC.  I haven’t sailed HAL in years so I’m very interested in your experience.  Thanks for posting.

@goldsmip115on another subject…would you happen to know what ship Gede (from Luminae) is currently working on?  I know he’s one of your favorites and he’s also one of mine.  Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcpc said:

I’m very interested in reading your comparison.    The Retreat pricing on Celebrity is getting a bit too high for me.  My next 2 Celebrity cruises are in RS (March and April) but I have no other Celebrity cruises booked due to the outrageous Retreat pricing.  I do, however, have an MSC Yacht Club suite booked for a September sailing from NYC.  I haven’t sailed HAL in years so I’m very interested in your experience.  Thanks for posting.

@goldsmip115on another subject…would you happen to know what ship Gede (from Luminae) is currently working on?  I know he’s one of your favorites and he’s also one of mine.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, jcpc said:

Gede is our favorite waiter form all of our cruises!!!

I'd be very interested in your thoughts.

Like many, the current X pricing on upper suites is prompting us to look at other options. I even set up a spreadsheet yesterday in an attempt to compare X with equivalent suites on the smaller luxury lines - still a work in progress, any suggestions gratefully accepted.

I find that everytime I start this exercise I conclude that the "look and feel" of these ships is not to our taste. We've yet to sail on Edge class but like the look of them but not the prices! 

Thank you for taking the time to do this.

13 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

Gede is no longer sailing. He is at home with his family. We email one another occasionally. He is the best of the best!

13 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

Gede is no longer sailing. He is at home with his family. We email one another occasionally. He is the best of the best!

T

Thanks for the update on Gede.  He indirectly indicated to us when we last saw him that he would likely be heading home permanently.