COVID after lovely cruise

Springbones

My husband and I had a lovely cruise around the Caribbean on Arvia. We arrived home last Saturday 2nd February and my husband tested positive for Covid on Monday 4th and I tested positive on 10th February. Obviously I don’t know how we contracted it but one night in the MDR there was a gentleman coughing & spluttering in the table behind my husband. The man didn’t look well and didn’t have anything to eat so why was he there and putting everyone at risk? Can I respectfully request if you are unwell please consider your fellow guests who like myself are immunocompromised.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Springbones said:

My husband and I had a lovely cruise around the Caribbean on Arvia. We arrived home last Saturday 2nd February and my husband tested positive for Covid on Monday 4th and I tested positive on 10th February. Obviously I don’t know how we contracted it but one night in the MDR there was a gentleman coughing & spluttering in the table behind my husband. The man didn’t look well and didn’t have anything to eat so why was he there and putting everyone at risk? Can I respectfully request if you are unwell please consider your fellow guests who like myself are immunocompromised.

Sorry to hear that - and hope you make a quick recovery.  I'm very much in the same boat, with a compromised immune system, so I fully appreciate your concerns.  Are you able to access one of the treatments, such as Paxlovid, via the system that's been set upi?

• Like 1

I presume you mean Sat 4th. We were due on Arvia the day you left but both tested positive three days beforehand so cancelled. We now face the usual battle to get a refund from our Insurance who have no clear guidelines on 'proof' - needless to say they will without doubt argue the toss.   

We could easily have ignored the symptoms as I guess many people do. As a matter of fact we even had family and friends questioning our decision to cancel they thought we were mad !. As it transpires we had a double whammy with a close family member getting admitted to hospital so it was probably a blessing in disguise.

There's a massive grey area at the moment however my advice for anyone who is immunocompromised to avoid cruising for the forseeable . My wife caught covid after our July cruise (with strict pre testing in place) its just a breeding ground for the virus. 

Sorry but it might not have been Covid he had. Who knows he might have the dreaded cabin cough from the air conditioning, maybe he had gone for a meal else where but was joining friends or something.

The mentality now is that it is a cold we never tested before for a cold so why do it now... A lot of colleagues I work with and myself feel the same. 

Myself would still go to a restaurant over a cough and make sure I cover my mouth when I am going to. I no when I am ill. If I am to the point I feel really bad then I do stay in the cabin.  

• Like 2

I cough a lot but that’s due to having COPD not Covid. I do get annoyed at having to explain this when people treat me like a leper. Not all coughs are covid and due to my risk of chest infections I wear a mask and do home testing before cruising.  I would never lie about a test and don’t agree with people that do. 
On a lighter note I wish they would invent a mask that filters out perfume/aftershave on black tie nights 😷

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Totally agree.  If you have a cold/cough that is not Covid, would you not go to work?  In all my years of cruising, the first day aboard you can hear people coughing and sneezing.  Just because they cough, doesn't mean they have Covid.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

Sorry but it might not have been Covid he had. Who knows he might have the dreaded cabin cough from the air conditioning, maybe he had gone for a meal else where but was joining friends or something.

The mentality now is that it is a cold we never tested before for a cold so why do it now... A lot of colleagues I work with and myself feel the same. 

Myself would still go to a restaurant over a cough and make sure I cover my mouth when I am going to. I no when I am ill. If I am to the point I feel really bad then I do stay in the cabin.  

Unfortunately that’s just common sense in a world without any. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dobbers said:

I cough a lot but that’s due to having COPD not Covid. I do get annoyed at having to explain this when people treat me like a leper. Not all coughs are covid
😷

This resonates...

Michelle wants to have a T shirt printed with 'It's OK, it's not Covid, it's Cancer'... 

Andy

• Like 11

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Totally agree.  If you have a cold/cough that is not Covid, would you not go to work?  In all my years of cruising, the first day aboard you can hear people coughing and sneezing.  Just because they cough, doesn't mean they have Covid.

I wouldn’t go to work with a cough or cold, wouldn’t want to give it to my colleagues. Where I used to work we were told to stay at home if we had a bad cough or cold so as not to spread it. If I went down with anything, I would work from home, which I did 2 days a week anyway. 

• Like 2

We are on Iona next Saturday, I have had a runny nose and been sneezing a bit. After reading this topic, I thought I had better get a COVID test done. Thankfully it was negative, Strangely enough I think it might be early hay fever as I have spent a lot of time tidying the garden this week. I knew I had to do the test but both me and my husband were quite concerned we would be cancelling our cruise after looking forward to it so much.

• Like 2

I think we have went a bit off piste here. On a cruise we are in close proximity to others which, yes, creates a nice holiday atmosphere but also helps viruses etc spread like wildfire. So now, to many, COVID may feel like a simple cold but can have serious implications for others such as those immunocompromised, COPD, Asthmatics (who I know can cough a lot, was not having a dig) and diabetics. Just spare a thought for your fellow cruisers please.

• Like 1