Dietary requirements on Celebrity

Trixie21

I read that Celebrity are changing their menus in maybe a similar way to Royal Caribbean. 

It won't bother me - I can always find something to eat.

My wife is celiac and has other dietary requirements due to medical conditions. 

Has anyone with dietary requirements of whatever type cruised on any of the Celebrity ships since the menus have changed and can you confirm that your requirements for a meal in the MDR or buffet  were met without any issue?

For information we have cruised quite a lot with Royal Caribbean and my wife never had an issue getting basically whatever she wanted (within reason) prepared. We are taking our first celebrity cruise from Southampton in August this year on Silhouette and I want to be confident my wife's needs will be accommodated. She is not asking for the complex dishes to be prepared- most often simple things like plain grilled salmon with some type of potato is what she orders.

I am not aware of any significant changes to Celebrity's MDR menus.  There have been some complaints about certain dishes disappearing but they did not do a full revamp like Royal recently did.  The only changes Celebrity has made to the buffet have been to the dinner buffet.

I am allergic to dairy and Celebrity has always taken very good care of me.  My last Celebrity cruise was November.  I'll be back on Celebrity in May and am not worried.  I have also cruised Royal since they revamped their menus last month and they did an amazing job making me foods I could eat.  I do try to eat in the MDR as much as possible because I know they have a lot more options for modifying foods there than the buffet.

• Thanks 1

I am allergic to shellfish and have never had an issue on Celebrity, including our most recent two cruises in the past eight months. The wait staff have been careful BUT I'm extra cautious in the buffet and steer clear of a lot of the serving stations because for me, the biggest risk is cross contamination and people don't think twice about using the same tongs for everything on the table. 

The wait staff will ask but you absolutely have to be your own best advocate. Ask and ask again if something doesn't seem right. Volunteer the info every time you're placing an order if necessary. I always carry my EpiPen & Benadryl with me because you just never know. 

I will say that there seem to be a lot more gluten free offerings, certainly more than in 2019. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies..

All sounds good.

We usually do traditional early seating with Royal because it means we have the same waitstaff each night and don't have to keep repeating the dietary thing.

I assume the dining setup is similar on Celebrity?

6 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

Thanks for the replies..

All sounds good.

We usually do traditional early seating with Royal because it means we have the same waitstaff each night and don't have to keep repeating the dietary thing.

I assume the dining setup is similar on Celebrity?

On the Silhouette, yes.  Celebrity offers both fixed (early/late) or anytime dining.  If you choose fixed dining, you get the same table and waitstaff each night.  

28 minutes ago, prmssk said:

On the Silhouette, yes.  Celebrity offers both fixed (early/late) or anytime dining.  If you choose fixed dining, you get the same table and waitstaff each night.  

Thanks - that's what we will go for i think.

3 minutes ago, TravelingCircusof5 said:

I have celiac as well. Just today I have been looking for where to tell them of my needs. I thought that i read that a month or so beforehand they would send me something to fill out… ? But only a few weeks away now and I have seen nowhere to note it.  Advice? 

I use this e-mail address to let them know ahead of time about my dietary restrictions:  special_needs@rccl.com  The same Access Department handles both Celebrity and Royal.

• Thanks 2

My husband has a wheat allergy, so is on a gluten free diet.   There was always meals to choose.     However, cross contamination is not an issue for him.   

As others have said, get the same waiter and they will let you choose your meal the night before. 

Just a heads up though, Celebrity's variety of breads is somewhat limited and others have posted that they even have brought some GF items on board (e.g. bagels, crackers, snacks).  Not necessary of course but be prepared for toasted raisin bread being offered some nights.  Eek.  

15 hours ago, TravelingCircusof5 said:

I have celiac as well. Just today I have been looking for where to tell them of my needs. I thought that i read that a month or so beforehand they would send me something to fill out… ? But only a few weeks away now and I have seen nowhere to note it.  Advice? 

Contact special needs. On the website it at the bottom of the web page under contact us

18 hours ago, Trixie21 said:

I read that Celebrity are changing their menus in maybe a similar way to Royal Caribbean. 

It won't bother me - I can always find something to eat.

My wife is celiac and has other dietary requirements due to medical conditions. 

Has anyone with dietary requirements of whatever type cruised on any of the Celebrity ships since the menus have changed and can you confirm that your requirements for a meal in the MDR or buffet  were met without any issue?

For information we have cruised quite a lot with Royal Caribbean and my wife never had an issue getting basically whatever she wanted (within reason) prepared. We are taking our first celebrity cruise from Southampton in August this year on Silhouette and I want to be confident my wife's needs will be accommodated. She is not asking for the complex dishes to be prepared- most often simple things like plain grilled salmon with some type of potato is what she orders.

Rest assured, Celebrity will take care of any of your needs.  Contact Celebrity via e-mail ahead of time and let them know of your special needs; in addition, when on board, inform the wait staff and the Maitre'D of your needs; you'll be fine. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2023 at 5:06 PM, TravelingCircusof5 said:

Call Celebrity and ask that your dietary needs be noted on your reservation.     

My husband is celiac. We used to contact special needs but a couple of times they told us we didn't need to because the ships are prepared.  My husband sees the menus the night before and orders his next day's meal at that time if it's something that needs modification.  They will tell you if something can't be modified.  We met someone on a cruise once who said she was allergic to capsicums (peppers?) and she said Celebrity was taking good care of her.  They seem to be very accommodating with respect to dietary restrictions.

We do anytime dining, but if we like our waiter on the first night we just ask to be in his/her section going forward and then we don't have to do all the explaining every night.