Carry on size, restrictions or recommendations?

TravelingCircusof5

23 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I don't remember when it changed, but this procedure has been in place for at least 4 years. I think @Guppy99 just misunderstood the stateroom access.

It first started with Revolutionized ships pre-covid but all ships since the restart have the seapass cards at the door at embarkation time.  You are free to put valuables in the safe and leave your carry on in the room and then leave the room until the 1-1:30 announcement. 

• Thanks 1

We were on a TA on Constellation about 10 years ago and we had a young couple at our dinner table who were obviously a bit confused about cruising.  He spoke French but she started talking to us in English.   Turns out she did foreign study abroad, they met and got married and lived in France for several years.   They were in the process of moving to the US and found the cruise to be much less expensive than flying and shipping their things.  They said when they were dropped off at the port in Barcelona with 14 suitcases in a trailer the porters looked at them and asked if they knew how small the cabins were?  They were in an inside cabin.   Of course we told them the stateroom attendant could find somewhere to store their excess luggage but they said they had it all tucked away in their room.

There were 2 other ladies from NJ traveling together who joined our table and the 4 of us tried to take them under our wing and help them out with sharing wine, giving them internet minutes from our CC allotment etc as they were traveling on a real shoestring budget.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

I don't understand. You were roaming the ship for hours with no sea pass cards? They don't stop you from going to your cabin right away anymore. They ask that you don't stay there but you can grab your card and drop your luggage. This goes back to even pre-covid.

shrug....  maybe it was a one time thing

9 minutes ago, TravelingCircusof5 said:

When/ where do you get the luggage tags? 

30 days prior to your sail date in your Cruise Planner under "Your Documents", "View and Print eDocs. The luggage tags are on the last page. You don't need to print all the eDocs, unless you want to. 

23 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

since when?  Couple months ago we had to wait a few hours between boarding and the cabin becoming available (even just for drop-off).

On what ship? Have cruised on Summit, Equinox,  Solstice, Eclipse, Constellation,  and Apex in the past year. Could always drop off in the cabin.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 4:29 PM, RichYak said:

Took a Celebrity transfer from the airport to the pier. Went to guest services in the evening to inquire about the "delayed" luggage and recognized everyone from the same transfer bus on line. That's when my heart sank. Somehow the driver dropped us off at one terminal and our luggage at a different one.

This was with my wife and three, at the time, pre-teen daughters, so imagine my fun. We wore Celebrity T-shirts to formal night. The luggage chased us around the Caribbean arriving at various ports. I think we got the last bag on day 4. We spent our port day in Old San Juan buying clothes and personal items.

That might change my thoughts as well, but in fairness I think handing it to a porter, properly tagged, at the port is a safer situation than using a transfer. Granted it shouldn't happen regardless. 

23 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Can you imagine if more than a few people did this? It would be untenable.

It is very rare that it won't fit under the bed. This is my 71st Celebrity cruise of lengths as long as 21 days plus pre-cruise so I generally have quite a bit of luggage. Never had an issue with underbed storage. So yes, it would be a mess but that is extremely unlikely to occur.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

That might change my thoughts as well, but in fairness I think handing it to a porter, properly tagged, at the port is a safer situation than using a transfer. Granted it shouldn't happen regardless. 

This unfortunate event took place 15 years ago when I was a cruising neophyte. I've learned much since then.

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

LOL just before Covid I boarded ship in Bayonne. I looked overboard and saw 4 suitcases floating/sinking...  

• Haha 1