Carry on size, restrictions or recommendations?

TravelingCircusof5

Just my opinion but while we usually have at least 1 carry on bag flying down to cruises we usually just carry a back back or small carry bag boarding and check the rest with the porters. We just put valuables in the back pack and pool stuff if we are going to the pool. Why drag a suitcase around for 2 hours waiting for the cabin.  Unlike a plan it is not like they are going to lose it 

Edited by volk904
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, volk904 said:

Just my opinion but while we usually have at least 1 carry on bag flying down to cruises we usually just carry a back back or small carry bag boarding and check the rest with the porters. We just put valuables in the back pack and pool stuff if we are going to the pool. Why drag a suitcase around for 2 hours waiting for the cabin.  Unlike a plan it is not like they are going to lose it 

Not true at all. Suitcases do get lost, dumped in the water, set aside etc... or otherwise go astray after giving them to the porters.

4 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Not true at all. Suitcases do get lost, dumped in the water, set aside etc... or otherwise go astray after giving them to the porters.

That's why AirTags are popular. 

Edited by C-Dragons

20 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

And honestly how often does this happen at the port with properly tagged luggage? The answer is very, very rarely. We always cross pack our suitcases, but if everyone felt the need to drag hordes of luggage onboard checkin and security would take hours. Not to mention that Celebrity cruisers tend to be of older age (as am I for the record) and frankly can't handle schlepping that much luggage around,  especially when packing for longer cruises. Have seen this happen tons of times on disembarkation day when they attempt to do walkoff.  It's a mess.

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

And in another part of the website, as well as the cruise documentation itself, it says a reasonable amount of luggage. Never had an issue and we take long cruises so bring quite a bit of luggage. 

Yup, a porter isn't going to enforce it and I can't imagine anyone in the terminal will say anything

58 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Unlikely it would ever be necessary since there is no room. If you can't fit it under t bed, you will be tripping over it unless you are in a roomy suite.

No you will not. Your room steward can take extra and store it for you until you need it for the trip home 

22 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

And honestly how often does this happen at the port with properly tagged luggage? The answer is very, very rarely.

The answer is one time for me. That was enough to change my luggage behavior permanently.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RichYak said:

The answer is one time for me. That was enough to change my luggage behavior permanently.

I hear that! One time is one time too many...

Was it found eventually??  (Lost on plane? I'm kinda assuming it was the ship...)

43 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

And honestly how often does this happen at the port with properly tagged luggage? The answer is very, very rarely. We always cross pack our suitcases, but if everyone felt the need to drag hordes of luggage onboard checkin and security would take hours. Not to mention that Celebrity cruisers tend to be of older age (as am I for the record) and frankly can't handle schlepping that much luggage around,  especially when packing for longer cruises. Have seen this happen tons of times on disembarkation day when they attempt to do walkoff.  It's a mess.

which is why it simply makes sense to have all necessities, plus a chg of clothes and several pairs undies in a carry-on

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dlh015 said:

I hear that! One time is one time too many...

Was it found eventually??  (Lost on plane? I'm kinda assuming it was the ship...)

Took a Celebrity transfer from the airport to the pier. Went to guest services in the evening to inquire about the "delayed" luggage and recognized everyone from the same transfer bus on line. That's when my heart sank. Somehow the driver dropped us off at one terminal and our luggage at a different one.

This was with my wife and three, at the time, pre-teen daughters, so imagine my fun. We wore Celebrity T-shirts to formal night. The luggage chased us around the Caribbean arriving at various ports. I think we got the last bag on day 4. We spent our port day in Old San Juan buying clothes and personal items.

• Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

No need on Celebrity anyway: cabins are available for passengers to drop off luggage when they board.

since when?  Couple months ago we had to wait a few hours between boarding and the cabin becoming available (even just for drop-off).

1 minute ago, Guppy99 said:

Room key was at the door when they allowed us to go to the cabins

I don't understand. You were roaming the ship for hours with no sea pass cards? They don't stop you from going to your cabin right away anymore. They ask that you don't stay there but you can grab your card and drop your luggage. This goes back to even pre-covid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I don't understand. You were roaming the ship for hours with no sea pass cards? They don't stop you from going to your cabin right away anymore. They ask that you don't stay there but you can grab your card and drop your luggage. This goes back to even pre-covid.

This was the case for me last month...dropped luggage in stateroom, went exploring...

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Yup, a porter isn't going to enforce it and I can't imagine anyone in the terminal will say anything

How many people are bringing on 200 lbs of luggage ? 
But some of those new millennial moms , they really do bring to much stuff for a 1/2 day visit so I can imagine on a week cruise it could be 500 lbs of stuff 🤣

2 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

How many people are bringing on 200 lbs of luggage ? 
But some of those new millennial moms , they really do bring to much stuff for a 1/2 day visit so I can imagine on a week cruise it could be 500 lbs of stuff 🤣

With all these rumors that you'll need to soon make fitness center reservations, fight back by bringing your own dumbbells!  BYODB 😅