Live Emerald Princess Panama Canal LA to Ft. Lauderdale 2/16 to 3/3

pmallen

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

pmallen was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Day 0

I've really enjoyed and learned a lot from the various live blogs I've read here, so I thought I'd do my part and contribute. I'll share the usual stuff, but if you have questions, fire away.

We had an uneventful (albeit delayed) flight from PDX to LAX on Alaska. Our pre-cruise stay is at the Doubletree San Pedro. It's a lovely hotel.  We have a marina view room, and got to watch the Crown Princess depart this  afternoon. The hotel has a free shuttle to the cruise terminal every half hour, but reservations are required. 

We had dinner at the 22nd St Landing Seafood Grill and Bar, about a 10-15 min walk around the marina from the hotel. They were a little short staffed and had a large group, so service was a bit.slow, but the food was very good.

About us: we're from the Portland area, though in the process of moving to New Mexico for a new job. I'm 60, and DW celebrates her 60th on the cruise. Kids are grown, which gives us some new flexibility for travel. This is our 5th cruise, though they've been spread out, with our first being exactly 30 years ago. All have been on Princess, including two on the old Crown, one each on the Star and the Ruby, and this one on the Emerald.

We're looking forward to starting the fun tomorrow!

• Like 4

Hoping your voyage is a smooth one. We’ll sail the PC route on the emerald on the opposite direction in April so I’ll likely follow your “live from” thread.

Were there any covid vaccination or testing requirements in your required pre-boarding docs? I’m thinking Columbia may have some still but our voyage doesn’t show them yet. 
Thanks

Just now, gottagocit said:

Hoping your voyage is a smooth one. We’ll sail the PC route on the emerald on the opposite direction in April so I’ll likely follow your “live from” thread.

Were there any covid vaccination or testing requirements in your required pre-boarding docs? I’m thinking Columbia may have some still but our voyage doesn’t show them yet. 
Thanks

Yes. We needed to upload vaccine documentation or evidence of a negative test.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pmallen said:

Yes. We needed to upload vaccine documentation or evidence of a negative test.

Okay thanks for that. Not unexpected I suppose although I’ve heard from some who said they were not required to do so. We will plan on doing so. 

We just did B2B from LA on the Emerald in Dec/Jan and had a great time but it was hot and humid.  I was told that there were 2 sloths in the small park like area that you have to go thru in Caragena; I walked around there for an hour looking up into the trees but never did see them, lots of beautiful birds though.  Hope you have a great cruise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gottagocit said:

Thanks

Vaccinated passengers need proof of vaccination only. Unvaccinated need to have a medical observed test for any cruise stopping in Colombia 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Couple of tips:

The Doubletree in San Pedro has Amazon lockers. Judging by empty boxes in the hallways this morning, looks like a good way to send stuff you need but don't want to lug through the airport. 

Also, DW came up with this packing tape alternative to staples or a tag holder.

20230216_092131.jpg

20230216_085456.jpg

• Like 1

Couple of tips:

The Doubletree in San Pedro has Amazon lockers. Judging by empty boxes in the hallways this morning, looks like a good way to send stuff you need but don't want to lug through the airport. 

Also, DW came up with this packing tape alternative to staples or a tag holder.

I assume you’ve had a busy day boarding and getting settled today. I have a question and hoping someone on your voyage can help.

We are sailing on the emerald in April and we’re about to add a coffee card to my FIL’s booking but the card appears to no longer be available for pre-cruise purchase. Now I’m seeing a thread on the Princess board where others are reporting the same problem. Have you been able to purchase them since boarding? Also were you able to still exchange your elite cabin bar setup for coffee cards?  
Growing a little concerned Princes may be preparing to eliminate the card or roll in exclusively under the premium drink program or something crazy like that. 
thanks 

I'll give a full rundown of embarkation day first thing in the morning.

Meanwhile, during the late show tonight, the Captain came on to announce a crew member had a medical emergency, and we are turning around back toward San Diego.   NOT sure if the crew member is being airlifted or taken by boat. Hope all ends well in any case.

Day 1: Embarkation.

We left the Doubletree on the 9:30 shuttle (reserve the night before). That's a little early, but with Emerald and Discovery leaving at the same time, we sensed the potential for a cluster leaving later.

That put us at the terminal at about 10. We had boarding group B, which is 11:30, but as has been observed, that's a guideline that's not ever check for on arrival.

They opened the doors for all in line at 11. We went through checking, where you need your medallion OR your QR code on the app, and your passport. YOU ALSO NEED YOUR PAPER VACCINE RECORD for Colombia, even if you've uploaded it previously. 

We were then assigned a boarding number, and they began boarding with platinum/elites about 11:20. We were on by about 11:40, and headed up to the Sanctuary, where we were #9, and got some of the last loungers (surprisingly, many B2B on this cruise).

DaVinci dining room was open for a lovely lunch. We had access to rooms about 12:30, but our luggage didn't arrive until around 2.

Departure was very cool, with both ships leaving in tandem around 3. Discovery's horn plays the Love Boat Theme, which is pretty cool the first 3-4 times.

We wandered around the ship, took naps, ate a late dinner, and saw thfievening's

show, a comedian. That's where they announced the medical diversion. No more on that, but we're back on course, and traveling may speed, looks like.

Great first day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We just left the ship yesterday, had the FLL to LA trip.  Very rough seas our last day, 4-5 meter swells and cold 58 degrees.  Ship very well maintained and lovely.  A few issues with beverage stocking at the lounges.  No Bailey’s the first three days, ran out of Grey Goose vodka, Belvedere vodka and Margarita mix.  We thought the food was very good during the trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Travelw said:

We just left the ship yesterday, had the FLL to LA trip.  Very rough seas our last day, 4-5 meter swells and cold 58 degrees.  Ship very well maintained and lovely.  A few issues with beverage stocking at the lounges.  No Bailey’s the first three days, ran out of Grey Goose vodka, Belvedere vodka and Margarita mix.  We thought the food was very good during the trip.

We've done the Mexican Riviera cruise a couple times, and the return is always a bit rough, sailing into the current and the prevailing season. That's one of the benefits of this route, I think: down only, no back.

• Like 1

Day 2: At Sea

We had a great night's sleep. More on our cabin later, but our mattress is very comfortable. 

Began our day relatively early (after a one hour time change) with some time in the gym, followed by a couple laps of the full wrap-around Promonade Deck (2.5 laps to the mole). The fitness center is nice, with lots of equipment and several classes. One pro tip: I noticed I seemed to be racking up mileage awfully fast on my walk, when it dawned on me: my watch was using GPS to track my distance. So, not only was I getting the distance of my walk, I was also getting the ship's movement over the surface of the earth! That explains the 20' avg strides.

We had breakfast in the buffet, which was very well stocked with fresh fruit, American and English breakfast staples, an omlette station, and more.

There was a poker tournament at 10, but we didn't have the 8 players needed to start, so the players who were there started a cash game. After getting started, several of us helped new.palyers figure out how to get started, and how the electronic table works. Which was funny, since the 12.5% rake doesn't actually get you a dealer or anything.

Later we spent time in the Sanctuary, but at about 55 degrees, even with blankets, it was a bit chilly. OK, it was cold! We did stay long enough to try two of the bento box lunches. They were excellent.

We had another nice dinner (more on food in general later), but didn't go to the show, in favor of time in Crooners listening to a great piano player who's the headliner in the Theater tomorrow.

Losing another hour tonigt, so that's it for now. 

20230217_191058.jpg

20230217_191103.jpg

Thanks for the “live” review - hoping to be on the Emerald in November. 

I do have a question for you - can you tell me where in the Princess Theater is the reserved seating (Premier Pkg)? Is it reserved by your name/cabin, so you can show up 10 minutes before showtime & have a seat or is it a group of seats & you have to arrive 30-40 minutes before showtime? thanks & Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by smelmel

On 2/17/2023 at 9:04 AM, pmallen said:

Day 1: Embarkation.

We left the Doubletree on the 9:30 shuttle (reserve the night before). That's a little early, but with Emerald and Discovery leaving at the same time, we sensed the potential for a cluster leaving later.

That put us at the terminal at about 10. We had boarding group B, which is 11:30, but as has been observed, that's a guideline that's not ever check for on arrival.

They opened the doors for all in line at 11. We went through checking, where you need your medallion OR your QR code on the app, and your passport. YOU ALSO NEED YOUR PAPER VACCINE RECORD for Colombia, even if you've uploaded it previously. 

We were then assigned a boarding number, and they began boarding with platinum/elites about 11:20. We were on by about 11:40, and headed up to the Sanctuary, where we were #9, and got some of the last loungers (surprisingly, many B2B on this cruise).

DaVinci dining room was open for a lovely lunch. We had access to rooms about 12:30, but our luggage didn't arrive until around 2.

Departure was very cool, with both ships leaving in tandem around 3. Discovery's horn plays the Love Boat Theme, which is pretty cool the first 3-4 times.

We wandered around the ship, took naps, ate a late dinner, and saw thfievening's

show, a comedian. That's where they announced the medical diversion. No more on that, but we're back on course, and traveling may speed, looks like.

Great first day!

You say paper copy if vac. Our las few cruises we have shown our electronic vac records with no problem. Our paper copies died quite awhile ago due to use and our CVP has told us that the electronic version in our phones are fine for this cruise. Can you elaborate?

4 hours ago, memoak said:

You say paper copy if vac. Our las few cruises we have shown our electronic vac records with no problem. Our paper copies died quite awhile ago due to use and our CVP has told us that the electronic version in our phones are fine for this cruise. Can you elaborate?

Well, good point. They asked for documentation, and we had paper. Didn't try electronic. We were just surprised that uploading documentation appeared to serve no purpose at all on check in.

5 hours ago, smelmel said:

Thanks for the “live” review - hoping to be on the Emerald in November. 

I do have a question for you - can you tell me where in the Princess Theater is the reserved seating (Premier Pkg)? Is it reserved by your name/cabin, so you can show up 10 minutes before showtime & have a seat or is it a group of seats & you have to arrive 30-40 minutes before showtime? thanks & Enjoy your cruise!

No idea, but I'll try to check.

Day 3: At Sea (Formal  night #1)

We contimue to bust along at top speed headed down the coast of Baja California. Very calm seas.

The weather finally cleared out a bit, and we spent the afternoon on deck in the Sanctuary. They bring afternoon to up, no need to go to the MDR for it. Finger sandwiches, desserts, and scones with clotted.cream and jam. And, of course, tea.

This evening, the ship was crawling with photographers for formal night. People were significantly more dressed up than not, with quite a few tuxes, though by no means a majority.

The champagne waterfall was held as it had been "before," and drew a nice crowd.

Tonight's show was Kevin Brando, who is usually in Crooners late, doing Elton John and Billy Joel covers. Very.good show. Then, after the late show, we caught the very late show, with comedian Daran Howard. Definitely a better venue for ever so slightly edgy (that is, "edgy" if you're still bitter they canceled Lawrence Welk) humor. Much better show than in the theater the first night.

About our cabin: it's very nice. We have a Dolphin (deck 9) minisuite almost to the stern. It has a bit larger, though uncovered balcony, compared to the ones on Emerald just above us, which are deeper, and partially covered. I've included a picture below to give some idea.

The beds are great, and everything is in good condition. No worn carpet, furniture dings, or what not. The old shelf for TVs between the bed and sitting area has outlets on either side, and makes a great charging station. There are ample hangars, and the tub and shower give the bathroom just a bit more room.

For those of the CPAP persuasion, there is a UK plug (just one) under the bed. I brought a UK/US adapter, and a non-surge protected power strip, so I'm good to go. Pro Tip: if I had.really been on the ball, I'd have brought a US/UK adapter, as well, and I could have plugged the light on the nightstand into the strip. Next time.

Anyway, after some reviews that make Emerald sound like a tub, we've been very happy with the ship's overall condition. It's 16 years old, or so, and is lacking some up to the minute features, but is well-maintained, and has some hard find spaces, like the wrap around balcony.

And yes, I'm pretty much a day behind. I'm on vacation!

20230219_160031.jpg

20230219_160038.jpg