Tamarind

Gsel

On 2/27/2023 at 7:31 AM, Real NHDOC said:

We were recently on Zuiderdam for a South Pacific cruise and it had several pop up Tamarind nights in the Pinnacle. I was so disappointed by the first one we cancelled our reservation for the later ones. The menus were limited to just a few of the usual Tamarind items and weren’t as well prepared. Combine that with paying full price (no mariner discount) made it a no brainer to pass on any future pop ups.

Based upon my experience I would not get too excited about those dinners. Unless you’re on a ship with a real Tamarind (Pinnacle or Signature Class) you may be as disappointed as we were with the offerings.  Nothing compares to the real Tamarind. 

As was reported above, they appear to be doing it a bit differently on Westerdam in Asia -- not a pop-up in Pinnacle but an actual "changeover" in Canaletto for a number of days.

At any rate, with nearly a month onboard, I think it will be a welcome change even if it is only tried once.

I have no Mariner discount, so that part matters little to me.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 11:46 AM, wdw1972 said:

They also don't do pop up dinners any more, except on Grand voyages.

Sue/WDW1972

Not true.  They did 3 Tamarind popups on my South Pacific trip on Zuiderdam in Oct/Nov '22, not a Grand voyage.  Perhaps they have changed since then but...

Edited by GHCruiser7

On 2/18/2023 at 11:51 AM, OlsSalt said:

Good catch, the HAL website shows the Tamarind listed under "Dining" on both the Zuiderdam and the Westerdam, but not the other two Vista ships.

Is it a "pop up" and shares space with Canaletto or some other venue? Or as you suggest, a website glitch.

From reports on the Westerdam, the Canaletto is being converted for a couple of nights each cruise for a paired down Tamarind menu. From what I read this is being tried out this year to see if HAL wants to go fleetwide in the future. I hope they make that decision as Tamarind is one of our favorite specialty restaurants on any cruise line.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

From reports on the Westerdam, the Canaletto is being converted for a couple of nights each cruise for a paired down Tamarind menu. From what I read this is being tried out this year to see if HAL wants to go fleetwide in the future. I hope they make that decision as Tamarind is one of our favorite specialty restaurants on any cruise line.

I used to love the tamarind.  Now I find it so so as they did away with things that I really liked.  The desserts are mediocre too.  I really love Canaletto now, but that menu is getting changed and things I like removed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I used to love the tamarind.  Now I find it so so as they did away with things that I really liked.  The desserts are mediocre too.  I really love Canaletto now, but that menu is getting changed and things I like removed.

I still love Tamarind, but haven't gotten a dessert there in years.  There's nothing on the dessert menu anyone in my party would want to eat!  In the old days the giant fortune cookie was fun, and they had a tamarind chocolate mousse in a chocolate cup.  Now it's all weird (to me) stuff!

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

I still love Tamarind, but haven't gotten a dessert there in years.  There's nothing on the dessert menu anyone in my party would want to eat!  In the old days the giant fortune cookie was fun, and they had a tamarind chocolate mousse in a chocolate cup.  Now it's all weird (to me) stuff!

Sue/WDW1972

I’m not a fan of mousse but I loved that tamarind chocolate.  I also loved the mini doughnuts they had.  The fortune cookie was really good too.  The thing they now pretend is cheesecake just isn’t.  I used to love a lamb stir fry they did a few years back.  That was my favourite entree.