Haven cabin decision

mickeysgal

We currently have a forward facing Haven cabin down on deck 10. For the same price we have the ability to switch to a courtyard cabin with a regular balcony (not the large one). Haven experts- would you stay in the forward facing one or switch to inside the courtyard? 

13 minutes ago, mickeysgal said:

We currently have a forward facing Haven cabin down on deck 10. For the same price we have the ability to switch to a courtyard cabin with a regular balcony (not the large one). Haven experts- would you stay in the forward facing one or switch to inside the courtyard? 

This depends, wife and I value the space over the location in the Haven. The forward facing has a great bedroom living area hige bathroom the only downside is the balcony is very small. You’re all the way forward so quick elevator ride and you’re in the haven complex. Our next cruise we are staying in an aft facing haven suite and can’t wait 

We just stayed in a FF haven on deck 10 on the Joy - I won't say never again because I will stay in any Haven cabin.  I say never again because the noise and vibration when docking was significant but if it's the only Haven cabin available at a rate I am willing to pay I will stay that low again.

The most important thing to me is Haven access, I like the room and space offered in the FF cabin, the bathrooms don't compare and having space to go to and have coffee when my wife is still asleep is also a big plus for us. For what it's worth when we got off the cruise 2 weeks ago my wife commented to me that she wanted to be in the Haven Complex on our next cruise so that will be the plan but any Haven cabin will do for us. 

I don't say never, but a forward-facing suite is among the lowest on my list to book. I'd be worried the balcony would be unusable due to the wind coming in as the ship cruises along at 20'ish knots per hour. I value my balcony time too much to not want to use my balcony, so that's why I would consider one in the courtyard. I do prefer outside the Haven suites to get me away from that area sometimes. I don't want to be ensconced in luxury 24-7, just when I'm eating and when I want a mostly empty hot tub. 

36 minutes ago, mickeysgal said:

We have sailed in both classes of rooms multiple times. While we love being up in the Haven complex, steps away from the bar and lounge. Personally, we would probably keep the forward facing room. It is nearly 100 sq ft bigger than the courtyard balcony with a separate living room. The balcony is usable in all weather conditions since it does not face forward. And you will feel and hear the sea (lots of movement and the sound of waves pounding on the bow). 

So,,, I am going to be wishy washy now.... If this is your first time in the Haven, then smaller courtyard balcony is better for you. You would get the full Haven experience. And I think that you would love it more there. The room will feel like a big balcony room versus a suite (kinda like a balcony room on a Royal Caribbean ship). That's where the similarities end. You will be treated like royalty and have a amazing cruise. 

Take the Courtyard Balcony. 

Edited by BirdTravels

33 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I don't say never, but a forward-facing suite is among the lowest on my list to book. I'd be worried the balcony would be unusable due to the wind coming in as the ship cruises along at 20'ish knots per hour. I value my balcony time too much to not want to use my balcony, so that's why I would consider one in the courtyard. I do prefer outside the Haven suites to get me away from that area sometimes. I don't want to be ensconced in luxury 24-7, just when I'm eating and when I want a mostly empty hot tub. 

For this type of cabin, the balcony is small but on the side of the ship. Completely useable. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The Observation Lounge or lack thereof would sway my decision. 

Why is that? 

The OP is talking about a forward facing Haven which implies a BA/BA+ ship (most likely the Encore). 

And on the Encore (i.e. not Breakaway or Getaway), the Haven has their own Horizon Lounge and would probably never go into the Observation Lounge regardless of whether they are in a forward-facing or courtyard room. 

Edited by BirdTravels

We've stayed in both types of cabin as well. As with most things, a lot of this depends on what you value. Personally, I loved having a separate living room with a door separate from the bedroom. I tend to wake up much earlier than my DW, and so I could read, or go out on the balcony, or even have breakfast delivered all without bothering her at all. That was pretty sweet. The downside was that we could clearly hear the crew lounge area at night - we were on deck 9 just above it on the Getaway.

On the other hand, being in the courtyard area is really nice if you want to get your "lazy" on, which we sometimes do on vacation. It was also nice being just steps away from the gathering area for early disembarkation at ports and for shows.

So which would I choose going forward? I'm not sure. I think it would depend on the ship and the itinerary. Any Haven cabin is a good choice, in my experience!

I loved the FF Haven room we had. We had a ton of space, it took no time at all to get to the Haven restaurant and pool area and I really enjoyed the experience of being able to see where we were going. The balcony was fine, just different and we did not find it's size to be a negative. 

It is noisier but not in a way that interrupted our sleep at all - we always knew when we were arriving into a port!

I like trying different rooms and would book a FF room again.

33 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Why is that? 

I meant the Haven Observation Lounge. I forgot the name. 

If there is one (Joy, Bliss, Encore) I'd lean more towards the Courtyard suite. 

If there isn't one (BA/GA/Escape), I'd lean more towards the Forward-facing suite. 

If Joy, Bliss, or Encore, the deck (17 or 18) will have different depths for the balcony. That could also be a factor. If the OP can score deck 17, that tips the scales more toward the courtyard. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only

2 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I meant the Haven Observation Lounge. I forgot the name. 

If there is one (Joy, Bliss, Encore) I'd lean more towards the Courtyard suite. 

If there isn't one (BA/GA/Escape), I'd lean more towards the Forward-facing suite. 

If Joy, Bliss, or Encore, the deck (17 or 18) will have different depths for the balcony. That could also be a factor. If the OP can score deck 17, that tips the scales more toward the courtyard. 

There are cabins that open to the Haven Observation Lounge on deck 17.  I've booked one for Alaska.

Just off Bliss in a Forward Facing Haven Balcony on 11 on Saturday. My review is floating around here if you want more details, but after that experience and it being a very full ship, we regret not having stayed in the Haven complex proper. Would have made several things easier, e.g.:

• Disembarkation (don't have to fight with the masses for an elevator to get your luggage up to the Haven in order to get priority disembark)
  • Port Priority (same as above, without the challenge of hauling luggage)
  • Easier to take advantage of pool/hot tubs/sun deck (not having to walk across the ship in your wet swimsuit when you're done)
  • More access to your Butler (our butler on 11 said she had 10 rooms across 5 decks, which i assume means she has all the Haven forward suites that aren't on 17/18. She was constantly having to run between rooms and the Haven to service her guests. If you value Butler services, stay in the Haven proper.)
Edited by chloe173