Onboard report NS

don731

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Cruising restarted more than 20 months ago. At what point does the shutdown become an excuse rather than a reason?

You're channeling my HS physics teacher. "That's an explanation, not an excuse" was one of his favorite sayings. 

I do think covid and supply chain have become convenient "excuses" for items not being unavailable or for prices going up. There always are signs around the supermarket saying "our suppliers are having availability problems with..." Side note--is there a potato shortage? Why are frozen potato products twice (or more than twice) the pre-pandemic price?

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

True -- which would seem to reinforce my thought that it is not necessarily COVID to blame, but how cruise lines have chosen to respond to the challenge (or how much they are able to respond, given other constraints).

As a cruiser, I don't feel that I should need to deeply understand the financials of the cruise line, only whether they provide a decent vacation that matches up with what they "promise" in ads and brochures (not what they "guarantee" in contracts....)

I have no inside knowledge, but I would speculate that most of the common item purchasing is done at the enterprise level, for all of CC or NCL’s brands. After all, that’s the kind of efficiency they peddle to Wall St. Besides some lingering supply chain shortages, reasons for out of stock situations are usually very mundane:  foul weather snarling shipping, labor strikes, and the inability of a company to pay their vendors.  

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Side note--is there a potato shortage?

I don't know about a potato shortage but over here there is a general shortage of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers etc and Spain and Italy have had an unusual cold snap which has retarded the plant growth.

16 hours ago, Laminator said:

Is this a HAL issue or a supply issue? I have no clue. I know my local supermarkets are still having some supply issues.

Supply issues are still impacting the ships. Last cruise (Dec-Jan)  there was a shortage of key items - Splenda, Diet Coke and other such popular things - it was bad. So bad, that even after getting provisions there was still a shortage. The cruise I just got back from we had plenty of Splenda but there were no eggs, almonds or croutons on the salad bar on day 2!!

Supply chain issues continue in the stores and on the ships...

Maybe a reason among many for all these reports of HAL running out of booze - the logistics side has underestimated the popularity of the Have-it-All packages and haven't elevated their orders as much as they should have. Could be a case that sales and marketing didn't provide good data to logistics and supply chain on how many passengers are getting HIA. 

• Like 3

My understanding of things is that in terms of ingredients/food items global warming and associated weather events are an issue and will continue to be, aside from any covid-related staffing/supply chain issues.

I'm from Perth, Western Australia and we have recently had/are having a potato shortage due to flooding and wet weather. Just one example!

23 hours ago, don731 said:

Walmart and Nordstrom both consistently execute their business model with great success.

And, yet, Walmart is consistently inconsistent on whether they have certain items or not; both pre- and post-pandemic.  It’s always hit and miss with them.

On our October cruise we didn’t receive a couple of shipments and, as a result, we were short 16,000 eggs.  The Hotel GM sent staff out to all the shops at the next port to buy up everything they could.  Maybe something to do with The Deadliest Bird Flu Outbreak in History?

We live in Metropolitan DC and I am regularly unable to find certain products on the shelves.  When they appear it’s like striking gold.

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the cruise line.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cruisin'allovertheworld said:

My understanding of things is that in terms of ingredients/food items global warming and associated weather events are an issue and will continue to be, aside from any covid-related staffing/supply chain issues.

I'm from Perth, Western Australia and we have recently had/are having a potato shortage due to flooding and wet weather. Just one example!

Just tonight on the news I saw a story about climate change affecting the agave crop, and as a result, tequila production. so enjoy your margaritas while you can!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Just tonight on the news I saw a story about climate change affecting the agave crop, and as a result, tequila production. so enjoy your margaritas while you can!!!

Not to mention how the California wild fires have affected wine production!  😭

(Should we mention the lobster harvest being put on the red list?)

Edited by *Miss G*