Live from the Crown Princess–r/t LA-Hawai’i–March 2-17, 2023

travelin.sisters

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

Interesting.  We had requested an Elite swap out on the Discovery a couple of weeks ago and our room steward said it was room service's responsibility.  We called them two days in a row with a promise it would be done.  Never happened so our room steward marched down and got it done for us (he was so sweet to do this, we never ask this of him, he just did it for us).  I checked with the C&A representative and she told me it was NOT the responsibility of the room steward but that room service should be doing it.  I wish Princess would give us some consistency so we are not getting mixed messages.

***Thank you for kindness in posting your journey with pictures, I appreciate it.  We are on the Crown to Alaska in July and your pictures are giving us a glimpse of what lies ahead for us.  One question for you:  With regard to the lack of the hand-held shower head even after you ordered one ahead, did they ever come by and rectify the situation?  I had my TA order one and it is clearly showing on my Travel Summary that one has been requested --- now wondering if we will have an issue when we board.

that is basically the same...room service is supposed to do it, but they can be very slow about it so the room steward will offer to do it to make their cabins happy...we decided to wait & room service got to it on the 2nd sea day after the customer service desk called to remind them for us

we did not need the hand held shower head, it is just nice & when I saw it on the Medallion app I said yes please so we didn't ask to have it changed, but if I get a chance I will ask if it is possible/available & let you kow what I find out.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, martinitime1 said:

<<<<<< Have one or two of these in Crooners for me!!

I first read this on my phone & couldn't figure out why the >>>s didn't go ^^^ to your name for martinis, now I have switched to my laptop & see that they are pointing to your profile pic which is a martini being poured... @OccasionalSanta & MrsOS will hopefully take you up on that suggestion, we will have to pass 🙂

Embarkation Day~March 2 (yes it really should have been March 2 all along, so sorry)

DaVinci Dinner

Finally we get to the actual cruising part of the live! @gottagoacruznare you still here or have you passed out from hunger while waiting?

I made dining room reservations months ago at a private table for 3 at 6:20 which had worked really well for our last couple of cruises. There was a huge line when we arrived, but the first night is always so chaotic so I was not too concerned. However when they got to us they said 'the system' put us at a shared table. I said no we needed a private table. Then they tried to get us to share a table 'just for tonight' but finally found us our own table. Our waiter, Ninoslav from Serbia, easily understood our food allergies & made sure we got food that was safe to eat. He also had some great suggestions for dishes we had never tried. 

Dinner was slow, as they have been on all our recent cruises. We miss the days of interacting with the junior waiter & getting to know them as well, but now the are kept so busy running for drinks form the bar that we usually only see them at the very begining for drink orders. The food was delicious. The Crown has some kind of a mixture of the new menus I have seen online, but mostly the older ones, with the Hawai'ian dishes thrown in. They do have a few up-charge entrées available, but a decent selection even without those.

2023-03-0218_30_23.thumb.jpg.aacd6d1b33639f45879e261996324705.jpg

2023-03-0218_30_28.thumb.jpg.940b32c4c35457aca252587bc2ece420.jpg

I am glad they are back to the basket of rolls on the table, they are one of my favorite parts of a Princess dinner.

2023-03-0218_30_10.thumb.jpg.aeb6202c3a21cd0e04596d66b8858852.jpg

I like that the Crown serves the cold tropical soups drink style, it is strange, to me, to eat them from a bowl. 

2023-03-0219_07_04.thumb.jpg.687243675f34391cf22a39d766355bb2.jpg

For starters we had: seared garlic prawns, appetizer sized leek & ricotta cheese tart, linguini & clams

2023-03-0219_07_09.thumb.jpg.ef16bc4a9a3fe43cca01bb9b52408eb9.jpg

2023-03-0219_07_16.thumb.jpg.3f172adc31678e3b23a3f303349342e5.jpg

2023-03-0219_24_47.thumb.jpg.85e92acecf24d161efc9a1f8ba759e9a.jpg

Entrees were seared mahi mahi & Hawai'ian luau pork

2023-03-0219_40_42.thumb.jpg.ec816bcd4493e8ac3a1b093fc2ce00e5.jpg

2023-03-0219_40_34.thumb.jpg.7bba2ea3291643df21ebb7afa21ba980.jpg

For dessert, Milky Chocolate-Hazelnut Souffle & Flourless Macadamia Nut Chocolate Cake

des1.thumb.jpg.bcdb16cd38dc060065d54be34a9e3aeb.jpg

2023-03-0220_07_57.thumb.jpg.83941f81c65a8a01dfc7ff6491a93969.jpg

2023-03-0220_08_14.thumb.jpg.11f1909609f7473f7394c063f5575da0.jpg

Since we have allergies, we got the next day menus & ordered for tomorrow’s dinner (I'll post them with tomorrow's stuff), but decided not to do MDR lunch. Next, we had to go back to the desk to try to get the same table/waitstaff for the rest of the cruise. They would not give us our table at 6:20, we could either have it at 5 or 6:40 so we settled on 6;40…will see what happens.

List of my posts in this LIVE: 

Introduction~post 1

Pre-cruise: packing~post 10

Pre-cruise:  booking & trip prep~post 29

Pre-cruise: last day stuff & weather~ post 43

Embarkation Day~March 2: good morning, looking forward to boarding~post 67

Embarkation. Day~March 2: exploring the Crown Princess~Star (19), Sky (18) & Sport (17) decks aft~post 69

Embarkation Day~March 2: exploring the Crown Princess~Sun Deck (16) with Sports & Sky Decks midship & forward~post 70

Embarkation Day~March 2: exploring the Crown Princess~Lido Deck (15)~post 75

Embarkation Day~March 2: back to the cabin~Aloha Deck (12)~post 78

Embarkation Day~March 2:  the papers & the patter~post 89

Embarkation Day~March 2: DaVinci dinner~post 104

Edited by travelin.sisters
photos
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, travelin.sisters said:

Embarkation Day~March 2 (yes it really should have been March 2 all along, so sorry)

DaVinci Dinner

Finally we get to the actual cruising part of the live! @gottagoacruznare you still here or have you passed out from hunger while waiting?

I made dining room reservations months ago at a private table for 3 at 6:20 which had worked really well for our last couple of cruises. There was a huge line when we arrived, but the first night is always so chaotic so I was not too concerned. However when they got to us they said 'the system' put us at a shared table. I said no we needed a private table. Then they tried to get us to share a table 'just for tonight' but finally found us our own table. Our waiter, Ninoslav from Serbia, easily understood our food allergies & made sure we got food that was safe to eat. He also had some great suggestions for dishes we had never tried. 

Dinner was slow, as they have been on all our recent cruises. We miss the days of interacting with the junior waiter & getting to know them as well, but now the are kept so busy running for drinks form the bar that we usually only see them at the very begining for drink orders. The food was delicious. The Crown has some kind of a mixture of the new menus I have seen online, but mostly the older ones, with the Hawai'ian dishes thrown in. They do have a few up-charge entrées available, but a decent selection even without those.

2023-03-0218_30_23.thumb.jpg.aacd6d1b33639f45879e261996324705.jpg

2023-03-0218_30_28.thumb.jpg.940b32c4c35457aca252587bc2ece420.jpg

I am glad they are back to the basket of rolls on the table, they are one of my favorite parts of a Princess dinner.

2023-03-0218_30_10.thumb.jpg.aeb6202c3a21cd0e04596d66b8858852.jpg

I like that the Crown serves the cold tropical soups drink style, it is strange, to me, to eat them from a bowl. 

2023-03-0219_07_04.thumb.jpg.687243675f34391cf22a39d766355bb2.jpg

For starters we had: seared garlic prawns, appetizer sized leek & ricotta cheese tart, linguini & clams

2023-03-0219_07_09.thumb.jpg.ef16bc4a9a3fe43cca01bb9b52408eb9.jpg

2023-03-0219_07_16.thumb.jpg.3f172adc31678e3b23a3f303349342e5.jpg

2023-03-0219_24_47.thumb.jpg.85e92acecf24d161efc9a1f8ba759e9a.jpg

Entrees were seared mahi mahi & Hawai'ian luau pork

2023-03-0219_40_42.thumb.jpg.ec816bcd4493e8ac3a1b093fc2ce00e5.jpg

2023-03-0219_40_34.thumb.jpg.7bba2ea3291643df21ebb7afa21ba980.jpg

For dessert, Milky Chocolate-Hazelnut Souffle & Flourless Macadamia Nut Chocolate Cake

des1.thumb.jpg.bcdb16cd38dc060065d54be34a9e3aeb.jpg

2023-03-0220_07_57.thumb.jpg.83941f81c65a8a01dfc7ff6491a93969.jpg

2023-03-0220_08_14.thumb.jpg.11f1909609f7473f7394c063f5575da0.jpg

Since we have allergies, we got the next day menus & ordered for tomorrow’s dinner (I'll post them with tomorrow's stuff), but decided not to do MDR lunch. Next, we had to go back to the desk to try to get the same table/waitstaff for the rest of the cruise. They would not give us our table at 6:20, we could either have it at 5 or 6:40 so we settled on 6;40…will see what happens.

Introduction~post 1

Pre-cruise: packing~post 10

Pre-cruise:  booking & trip prep~post 29

Pre-cruise: last day stuff & weather~ post 43

Embarkation Day~March 2: good morning, looking forward to boarding~post 67

Embarkation. Day~March 2: exploring the Crown Princess~Star (19), Sky (18) & Sport (17) decks aft~post 69

Embarkation Day~March 2: exploring the Crown Princess~Sun Deck (16) with Sports & Sky Decks midship & forward~post 70

Embarkation Day~March 2: exploring the Crown Princess~Lido Deck (15)~post 75

Embarkation Day~March 2: back to the cabin~Aloha Deck (12)~post 78

Embarkation Day~March 2:  the papers & the patter~post 89

Embarkation Day~March 2: DaVinci dinner~post 104

Yup, still here, haven't past out yet:)

11 hours ago, jaycruising said:

You just go to the end of one picture and press the return button. Should add the space

• Like 1

Hey travelin sisters, did you use a flash on the pictures you took of your meals? Reason for askin, took food pictures on the Navigator, an they came out blah, didn't use the flash, can't post pictures cuz got a new computer, an it ain't up to snuf as yet, can still find my way around. Inquiring minds would like to know.

1 hour ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey travelin sisters, did you use a flash on the pictures you took of your meals? Reason for askin, took food pictures on the Navigator, an they came out blah, didn't use the flash, can't post pictures cuz got a new computer, an it ain't up to snuf as yet, can still find my way around. Inquiring minds would like to know.

I did not use a flash, my current phone somehow turns the flash setting to off every time I close the app & I pretty much don't remember to switch it unless it's really dark

Sometimes if it's just one or two pix I will post straight from my phone 

9 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

that is basically the same...room service is supposed to do it, but they can be very slow about it so the room steward will offer to do it to make their cabins happy...we decided to wait & room service got to it on the 2nd sea day after the customer service desk called to remind them for us

we did not need the hand held shower head, it is just nice & when I saw it on the Medallion app I said yes please so we didn't ask to have it changed, but if I get a chance I will ask if it is possible/available & let you kow what I find out.

I really do need the hand-held shower head and would appreciate it so much if you can find out if they can change them upon request.  I too, requested it on the Medallion and am disappointed to hear it's not happening.  Thanks so much for your great reporting.  We are on the Crown March 17th.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Interesting.  We had requested an Elite swap out on the Discovery a couple of weeks ago and our room steward said it was room service's responsibility.  We called them two days in a row with a promise it would be done.  Never happened so our room steward marched down and got it done for us (he was so sweet to do this, we never ask this of him, he just did it for us).  I checked with the C&A representative and she told me it was NOT the responsibility of the room steward but that room service should be doing it.  I wish Princess would give us some consistency so we are not getting mixed messages.

***Thank you for kindness in posting your journey with pictures, I appreciate it.  We are on the Crown to Alaska in July and your pictures are giving us a glimpse of what lies ahead for us.  One question for you:  With regard to the lack of the hand-held shower head even after you ordered one ahead, did they ever come by and rectify the situation?  I had my TA order one and it is clearly showing on my Travel Summary that one has been requested --- now wondering if we will have an issue when we board.

3 hours ago, Jemnibabe said:

I really do need the hand-held shower head and would appreciate it so much if you can find out if they can change them upon request.  I too, requested it on the Medallion and am disappointed to hear it's not happening.  Thanks so much for your great reporting.  We are on the Crown March 17th.

Today I am up very early, 4am-ish, due to time changes & no one was at the CS desk, so I stopped by to see if they do actually change out the shower heads, the very nice lady said, oh yes they do that... Even though I said we would be OK without it, she put in the request for the room division to change it out...we will see how long that takes. 

10 minutes ago, travelin.sisters said:

Today I am up very early, 4am-ish, due to time changes & no one was at the CS desk, so I stopped by to see if they do actually change out the shower heads, the very nice lady said, oh yes they do that... Even though I said we would be OK without it, she put in the request for the room division to change it out...we will see how long that takes. 

Very kind of you to check this out for us, thank you very much.

• Like 2

Embarkation Day~March 2

Wrap Up & Random Thoughts

Sometime after everyone was onboard around 5pm, the Captain announced that we would be leaving the port of Los Angeles once they finished fueling about 7pm. In the dining room we could feel the ship’s engines start up a little after 7 & started moving away from the pier about 7:30. We were able to watch the lights ashore as we passed through the harbor & out to sea. This was a different experience than the usual daylight sail away.

2023-03-0222_27_36.thumb.jpg.89282d46c8d1a4252d13647518e70c27.jpg

As we left the dining room it was so nice to hear @Elua performing Island Style in the Piazza. Between dinner with island touches, the ship finally moving & listening to Tiki Dave & Leialoha, it definitely felt like the vacation was underway! 

Back in our rooms, Charlie our cabin steward had been in for nightly turn down (while I was happy for them not to do this during the height of covid restrictions, it is nice to have fresh ice & a little straightening in the evening…I don’t miss the chocolates I never knew what to do with, though). The next day he told me he was afraid to move the bears that I had left on my pillows so he didn’t do anything with them. I laughed & said it was fine, but they wouldn’t bite. 

2023-03-0221_18_40.thumb.jpg.7a8e5d4f4d765471ecb1a3fc7bbc4904.jpg

Before going to bed I got everyone connected to the internet. A 4-device plan works great for the 3 of us (by the way, I have been pleasantly surprised by how good my connection has been sailing across to Hawai'i...our last cruise, a Mexican Riviera, I couldn't even get my photos to download from my phone to my computer & it sometimes took hours of clicking & reclicking to get anything to post on Cruise Critic). Then I did a little decorating in the cabin, turned the clocks back & hoped for a good night’s sleep to the gentle rocking of the ship. Speaking of gentle rocking I thought the first 2 days sailing (actually all the sailing so far) was really gentle for the Hawai'i crossing so I was surprised over the next few days how many experienced cruisers had trouble with motion sickness & thought it was very rough! 

Overall thoughts as embarkation day ends:

• have I mentioned how much I like the new muster protocol...checking in at your station & watching the video on your own are so very much better than squeezing into your station with (or later without) your life vest to listen to it...and even more of an improvement over lining up outside on the deck & practicing putting your vest on (before you tell me that Princess never did outdoor, on the deck muster drills...they did at least once on the Ruby Princess in 2015 & I have a photo to prove it)
  • the Crown is a little dated, lacking a bit of polish, but she seems comfortable & ready to take us where we need to go, the crew is pleasant but seems a little stressed & overworked (not unexpected considering the past couple of days they have experienced)
  • the sounds of Hawai’ian music in the hallways & from the Piazza remind us that whatever else is not perfect, we are on our way to Hawai’i!!! Aloha 

• Introduction~post 1

• Pre-cruise: packing~post 10

• Pre-cruise:  booking & trip prep~post 29

• Pre-cruise: last day stuff & weather~ post 43

• Embarkation Day~March 2: good morning, looking forward to boarding~post 67

• Embarkation. Day~March 2: exploring the Crown Princess~Star (19), Sky (18) & Sport (17) decks aft~post 69

• Embarkation Day~March 2: exploring the Crown Princess~Sun Deck (16) with Sports & Sky Decks midship & forward~post 70

• Embarkation Day~March 2: exploring the Crown Princess~Lido Deck (15)~post 75

• Embarkation Day~March 2: back to the cabin~Aloha Deck (12)~post 78

• Embarkation Day~March 2:  the papers & the patter~post 89

• Embarkation Day~March 2: DaVinci dinner~post 104

Edited by travelin.sisters
photos
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, travelin.sisters said:

Thank you so much for checking on this.  It is very important to me.  enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, travelin.sisters said:

Embarkation Day~March 2

Wrap Up & Random Thoughts

Sometime after everyone was onboard around 5pm, the Captain announced that we would be leaving the port of Los Angeles once they finished fueling about 7pm. In the dining room we could feel the ship’s engines start up a little after 7 & started moving away from the pier about 7:30. We were able to watch the lights ashore as we passed through the harbor & out to sea. This was a different experience than the usual daylight sail away.

2023-03-0222_27_36.thumb.jpg.89282d46c8d1a4252d13647518e70c27.jpg

As we left the dining room it was so nice to hear @Elua performing Island Style in the Piazza. Between dinner with island touches, the ship finally moving & listening to Tiki Dave & Leialoha, it definitely felt like the vacation was underway! 

Back in our rooms, Charlie our cabin steward had been in for nightly turn down (while I was happy for them not to do this during the height of covid restrictions, it is nice to have fresh ice & a little straightening in the evening…I don’t miss the chocolates I never knew what to do with, though). The next day he told me he was afraid to move the bears that I had left on my pillows so he didn’t do anything with them. I laughed & said it was fine, but they wouldn’t bite. 

2023-03-0221_18_40.thumb.jpg.7a8e5d4f4d765471ecb1a3fc7bbc4904.jpg

Before going to bed I got everyone connected to the internet. A 4-device plan works great for the 3 of us (by the way, I have been pleasantly surprised by how good my connection has been sailing across to Hawai'i...our last cruise, a Mexican Riviera, I couldn't even get my photos to download from my phone to my computer & it sometimes took hours of clicking & reclicking to get anything to post on Cruise Critic). Then I did a little decorating in the cabin, turned the clocks back & hoped for a good night’s sleep to the gentle rocking of the ship. Speaking of gentle rocking I thought the first 2 days sailing (actually all the sailing so far) was really gentle for the Hawai'i crossing so I was surprised over the next few days how many experienced cruisers had trouble with motion sickness & thought it was very rough! 

Overall thoughts as embarkation day ends:

• have I mentioned how much I like the new muster protocol...checking in at your station & watching the video on your own are so very much better than squeezing into your station with (or later without) your life vest to listen to it...and even more of an improvement over lining up outside on the deck & practicing putting your vest on (before you tell me that Princess never did outdoor, on the deck muster drills...they did at least once on the Ruby Princess in 2015 & I have a photo to prove it)
  • the Crown is a little dated, lacking a bit of polish, but she seems comfortable & ready to take us where we need to go, the crew is pleasant but seems a little stressed & overworked (not unexpected considering the past couple of days they have experienced)
  • the sounds of Hawai’ian music in the hallways & from the Piazza remind us that whatever else is not perfect, we are on our way to Hawai’i!!! Aloha 

• Introduction~post 1

• Pre-cruise: packing~post 10

• Pre-cruise:  booking & trip prep~post 29

• Pre-cruise: last day stuff & weather~ post 43

• Embarkation Day~March 2: good morning, looking forward to boarding~post 67

• Embarkation. Day~March 2: exploring the Crown Princess~Star (19), Sky (18) & Sport (17) decks aft~post 69

• Embarkation Day~March 2: exploring the Crown Princess~Sun Deck (16) with Sports & Sky Decks midship & forward~post 70

• Embarkation Day~March 2: exploring the Crown Princess~Lido Deck (15)~post 75

• Embarkation Day~March 2: back to the cabin~Aloha Deck (12)~post 78

• Embarkation Day~March 2:  the papers & the patter~post 89

• Embarkation Day~March 2: DaVinci dinner~post 104

In your wanderings, if  you happen to come across where muster station A is, will you please let me know? It does seem easier to go there before we get into the cabin and see the back of the cabin door and then need to go find it. We usually watch the video first, then go, but if I can tap and go while we wait for the cabin to be ready, I’m even happier. 
I can not find it marked on any deck plan that I looked at. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jaycruising said:

If you have an iPhone you can use notes to scan documents 

open a new note

click in the camera

select scan documents 

thank you for this fantastic review, we were on the crown in November and really did enjoy her!

Thank you for this tip. I learned something new today.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OccasionalSanta said:

Day 3 - March 4

Mrs OS and I celebrated our 40th anniversary onboard.

I took in an enrichment talk in the morning (Why we love opera) while Mrs. OS opted to walk on the treadmill. We partook in progressive trivia and pop choir rehearsal.

Capped the day off with the Ultimate Balcony Dinner

20230305_130545.jpg

20230304_191441.jpg

Happy 40th anniversary!!!! Hope you are both enjoying your cruise. 

• Like 2

You are almost (t)here.   Good thing you are skipping Hilo (usually first port/now last port).  Parts of Hawaii Island are under a flood watch.  Wonder now that will affect the oceans and other islands. 

Just now, Happiest when cruising said:

In your wanderings, if  you happen to come across where muster station A is, will you please let me know? It does seem easier to go there before we get into the cabin and see the back of the cabin door and then need to go find it. We usually watch the video first, then go, but if I can tap and go while we wait for the cabin to be ready, I’m even happier. 
I can not find it marked on any deck plan that I looked at. 

I plan on finishing the photo exploration of the lower decks on the way back, so if I don't find out before then I will ask...you can also ask someone as you get on where muster station A is or check on the medallion screens & they will give directions.

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

You are almost (t)here.   Good thing you are skipping Hilo (usually first port/now last port).  Parts of Hawaii Island are under a flood watch.  Wonder now that will affect the oceans and other islands. 

we are!!!!! the first day I was sad when the in room weather was rain on all the islands we were visiting...today it looks like it will be dry & sunny for Honolulu at least & the Polynesian Cultural Center...was not looking forward to doing that in all day rain...hope the floods do not cause a lot of damage 

4 minutes ago, travelin.sisters said:

Polynesian Cultural Center

I look forward to your report on the PCC. I’ve only been there once and it was 30 years ago. I think I’d like to go again if we take a cruise to Hawaii.

• Like 1

@OccasionalSanta  Congratulations.  I hope you enjoyed your 40th anniversary UBD.  It looks like you were actually able to have it on your balcony while at sea--very cool.  Terrific pictures of you and, especially, Mrs. OS.

Now, can you share why you love opera?  This question is from the guy who is listening to "Lakme" as he is typing.  

😃

• Like 3

Just now, KLM3164 said:

I look forward to your report on the PCC. I’ve only been there once and it was 30 years ago. I think I’d like to go again if we take a cruise to Hawaii.

I went like 50 years ago & have been wanting to go every Hawai'i cruise we have taken but this is the first time we are here when it has been open

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

I plan on finishing the photo exploration of the lower decks on the way back, so if I don't find out before then I will ask...you can also ask someone as you get on where muster station A is or check on the medallion screens & they will give directions.

Thanks so much, I’ve been on quite a few Princess ships, but not this one, if my memory is any good. 😉

Of course, I can ask as we walk onto the ship.   I’m usually just so thankful to have made it on the ship, that I might forget. 

• Like 1