Effective Mar 2 2023: Changes to Non-Refundable Deposit Policy

mahdnc

18 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

@Jeremiah1212  Can a suite be brought into the group when someone is ready to deposit it?  In that situation is there a downside for the TA?   My TA only does a limited number of group categories and always tells me he can't add the suite.

I would think from a business standpoint the TA wants to save it for a special customer.

Or, and I have had this happen, the TA sells a group cabin to a customer at higher price and pockets a chunk, still giving perks to the customer.

With prices going up, if the TA bought the cabin when the cruise was first offered, the profit could be insane. Or a hell of a deal to make a current good client real happy.

Edited by HMR74

1 hour ago, HMR74 said:

I would think from a business standpoint the TA wants to save it for a special customer.

Or, and I have had this happen, the TA sells a group cabin to a customer at higher price and pockets a chunk, still giving perks to the customer.

With prices going up, if the TA bought the cabin when the cruise was first offered, the profit could be insane. Or a hell of a deal to make a current good client real happy.

What do you mean by “ if the TA bought the cabin when the cruise was first offered”.

Are you suggesting that a TA actually put down a deposit with an actual customer named?  Or was just allocated some group space in that category?  Is the price of the cabin allocated firmed up when it is allocated?

Thanks

25 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

What do you mean by “ if the TA bought the cabin when the cruise was first offered”.

Are you suggesting that a TA actually put down a deposit with an actual customer named?  Or was just allocated some group space in that category?  Is the price of the cabin allocated firmed up when it is allocated?

Thanks

yeah, a TA, provided it has capital, can buy cabins at a discount to "listed price" as the cruise gets offerred say 2 years ahead of the cruise. whatever they buy in any class gets allocated to them and when you book it they wil tell you what cabins are available.

Thats why if you try to book when a cruise is first offerred so many cabins are alreay taken, Withthat, I wonder if you are close to a TA and you told them you wanted to go on that cruise, could they buy the cabin specifically for you with the group discount. etc, eg, if I tell them several different cabins I woudl want can they make it happen even before it goes on general sale.

I bet somebody here knows,

In the old days the price actually could come down but thats old days.

might see less of that as prices escalate and capital runs thin.

X used to have a spreadsheet at cruising power .com with the info but I have not looked at it in a while, like years.

I am thinking  back to around 2019 whan a balcony or Aqua had about a 450 discount from list.

It was good.helpful  to compare all their cruises prices if a bargain was a sole determinant. on a per day basis of course.

that was also before the sail away deals and everything since.

Edited by HMR74

4 hours ago, HMR74 said:

yeah, a TA, provided it has capital, can buy cabins at a discount to "listed price" as the cruise gets offerred say 2 years ahead of the cruise. whatever they buy in any class gets allocated to them and when you book it they wil tell you what cabins are available.

Thats why if you try to book when a cruise is first offerred so many cabins are alreay taken, Withthat, I wonder if you are close to a TA and you told them you wanted to go on that cruise, could they buy the cabin specifically for you with the group discount. etc, eg, if I tell them several different cabins I woudl want can they make it happen even before it goes on general sale.

I bet somebody here knows,

In the old days the price actually could come down but thats old days.

might see less of that as prices escalate and capital runs thin.

X used to have a spreadsheet at cruising power .com with the info but I have not looked at it in a while, like years.

I am thinking  back to around 2019 whan a balcony or Aqua had about a 450 discount from list.

It was good.helpful  to compare all their cruises prices if a bargain was a sole determinant. on a per day basis of course.

that was also before the sail away deals and everything since.

Thank you.  

1 minute ago, jagoffee said:

Small world.  We live on the Golf Course and we used to live in Cambridge West off of Butterfield road.

we actually looked at Ivanhoe development when we were looking to downsize, which was more than we wanted and too far out (laughing over that now),  and wound up with a place on White Deer Run Course. Love the area, Docks, Crossroads and Emils (Broasted Chicken) and dearly depared Bulldogs .Bike ride past your place going (but take Hawley following path)  out to the dog run area then back.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

@Jeremiah1212  Can a suite be brought into the group when someone is ready to deposit it?  In that situation is there a downside for the TA?   My TA only does a limited number of group categories and always tells me he can't add the suite.

They generally would already have to have suite space held for it to make sense. It would not be likely. 

18 hours ago, HMR74 said:

That's not how it works. You can't hold inventory at one price and turn it at a profit. I'm not sure how you would have been in the know of the details on that situation but that is not allowed. 

16 hours ago, HMR74 said:

Not really. You hold inventory in certain categories. You create a group and for you may hold 4 cabins in C2, C3, V1 and V2 for a total of 16 cabins. You don't hold specific cabin numbers. You can ask if they have any group space open but group space doesn't always mean you are getting a price discount either. There are also several restrictions on what and when a reservation could can be moved. 

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

They generally would already have to have suite space held for it to make sense. It would not be likely. 

That's not how it works. You can't hold inventory at one price and turn it at a profit. I'm not sure how you would have been in the know of the details on that situation but that is not allowed. 

Not really. You hold inventory in certain categories. You create a group and for you may hold 4 cabins in C2, C3, V1 and V2 for a total of 16 cabins. You don't hold specific cabin numbers. You can ask if they have any group space open but group space doesn't always mean you are getting a price discount either. There are also several restrictions on what and when a reservation could can be moved. 

I used to beleive thata TA held x cabins till this year when I was told they had specific cabins when I was trying to get 2 together.

I think a TA can charge whatever it wants to charge.

So, if the TA buys a cabin at a 500  discount based on a 5000 list price and in 6 months its 7,000, theTA in my mind can sell it at 6500.

Case in point, I bought a  group cabin in January and my brother and Sister in law decided to join us and one day they got teh same prices as we received and hte next day when the price of refundable went up, the price of the group cruise to my Bro went up--meaning teh agent was passing thru increases, In addition teh OBC decliend by a couple hundred and the TA said it could not  honor the old OBC .

The free market at work.

8 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

I used to beleive thata TA held x cabins till this year when I was told they had specific cabins when I was trying to get 2 together.

I think a TA can charge whatever it wants to charge.

So, if the TA buys a cabin at a 500  discount based on a 5000 list price and in 6 months its 7,000, theTA in my mind can sell it at 6500.

Case in point, I bought a  group cabin in January and my brother and Sister in law decided to join us and one day they got teh same prices as we received and hte next day when the price of refundable went up, the price of the group cruise to my Bro went up--meaning teh agent was passing thru increases, In addition teh OBC decliend by a couple hundred and the TA said it could not  honor the old OBC .

The free market at work.

That's just not how it works. There are a variety of group types, rates, etc. What you are describing is not allowed. 

5 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

That's just not how it works. There are a variety of group types, rates, etc. What you are describing is not allowed. 

well, it seems to be happening.

I am going to call the TA and tell them they should  be givng my brother the same price we have.

Edited by HMR74

25 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Good luck. 

if your theory is correct, I should get a $400 reduction for my brother.

it was a 600 increase, minue ht OBC take away and the OBC takeaway stands regardess as its the Celebrity OBC thats gone.

Whole thing is convoluted--the base fare is down 200 PP, AI is up 50 PP, and refundable is up about 100PP, and OBC from X is down 200.

However I have not spent any time really looking at it.

• 4 months later...

Revisiting this thread given X making core changes to products booked. I see no language regarding X making non-commercially reasonable changes or any consumer protection citations. There has to be some consumer protection law.

• Like 1