Effective Mar 2 2023: Changes to Non-Refundable Deposit Policy

mahdnc

We normally book 18 + months out and have 7 booking between April 2023 - April 2024 and 5 of those were booked 2 years in advance.   We book with the non-refundable deposit and in 39 booking we have only cancelled once.  

Our most recent booking the refundable deposit was $2415 more than the non refundable rate. The prices were high before this change but this takes them beyond what I am willing to pay.  So going forward we will no longer book 2 years out, more like 2 months. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We normally book 18 + months out and have 7 booking between April 2023 - April 2024 and 5 of those were booked 2 years in advance.   We book with the non-refundable deposit and in 39 booking we have only cancelled once.  

Our most recent booking the refundable deposit was $2415 more than the non refundable rate. The prices were high before this change but this takes them beyond what I am willing to pay.  So going forward we will no longer book 2 years out, more like 2 months. 

Keep in mind that booking 2 years out you will most likely be getting a lower price on your cabin than booking 2 months out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Personally, I wish they would just get rid of the nonrefundable deposit option and have just one price for each category, with the option to add All Included if so desired. But that's just me. 

I am no expert but reading the various comments it seems that booking with non refundable deposits gives you a lower overall price. Therefore your solution would increase the cruise cost. Surely the current system gives the best of both worlds. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I figured sooner or later they would join their sister. What it means to me is either book on board or wait longer to book. No more bookings 12 months or more out. 

mac_tlc

1 hour ago, mac_tlc said:

I figured sooner or later they would join their sister. What it means to me is either book on board or wait longer to book. No more bookings 12 months or more out. 

mac_tlc

Just use a travel agent with group space. You get a refundable deposit + all included at a less expensive rate than the non-refundable cruise only price booked direct with Celebrity. It can save thousands of dollars. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Just use a travel agent with group space. You get a refundable deposit + all included at a less expensive rate than the non-refundable cruise only price booked direct with Celebrity. It can save thousands of dollars. 

I'm curious, does every sailing have a TA holding group space? And without naming any particular TA, what is the process to finding the one that has group space?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I'm curious, does every sailing have a TA holding group space? And without naming any particular TA, what is the process to finding the one that has group space?

Not necessarily but it’s pretty likely. There is a lot of inaccurate info posted here regarding how groups work. It is a little confusing but it’s extremely valuable in my opinion. Do some research, call a few big agencies, ask others, etc. If they don’t immediately know what you are asking about, immediately pass. Other agencies who use a clunky online booking interface will have a banner at the top of the category selection page that says group space exists. In the rate/price options  it will say something to the effect of group xxxxx. That also doesn’t mean they can’t bring a different category into a group. It’s best to call in that case. 

Edited by Jeremiah1212
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Not necessarily but it’s pretty likely. There is a lot of inaccurate info posted here regarding how groups work. It is a little confusing but it’s extremely valuable in my opinion. Do some research, call a few big agencies, ask others, etc. If they don’t immediately know what you are asking about, immediately pass. Other agencies who use a clunky online booking interface will have a banners the top of the category selection page that says group space exists. In the rate/price options  it will say something to the effect of group xxxxx. That also doesn’t mean they can’t bring a different category into a group. It’s best to call in that case. 

Thanks for the info.  It is worth mentioning that many of the larger agencies non-refundable fees for booking or making any changes to the booking.  Not a deal breaker for some, but surely something to be aware of before pulling the trigger. 

10 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Just more reason to look at more premium lines, we have Oceania booked for 2025 and their deposits are 100% refundable.

With the price that you pay for cruises on Oceania, I'd hope that those deposits are refundable or fully creditable.  Also, many people's pockets are not as deep.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paulh84 said:

Groups rarely if ever include suites.

4 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

With the price that you pay for cruises on Oceania, I'd hope that those deposits are refundable or fully creditable.  Also, many people's pockets are not as deep.

We also have 2 cruises booked with HAL and their deposits are also 100% refundable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Totally off subject but Oceania piqued my interest based on all of the Oceania fan boy response to Celebrity here lately (O isn't for me at all, but that's irrelevant) however that is not what their site says. 

It says for cruises 14 days or less there is a $250/pp admin fee charged for cancelations starting at 6 months (180-91 days) from sailing. For upper suites they also charge 20% of the fare as your deposit. From my quick glance I would say Celebrity's deposit/refund schedule is actually the more friendly one. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Groups rarely if ever include suites.

There is nothing preventing group space for suites but it is rather expensive for the agency to do it so most won't. There is one I know of that may but I do not think they make it publicly available. 

5 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Totally off subject but Oceania piqued my interest based on all of the Oceania fan boy response to Celebrity here lately (O isn't for me at all, but that's irrelevant) however that is not what their site says. 

It says for cruises 14 days or less there is a $250/pp admin fee charged for cancelations starting at 6 months (180-91 days) from sailing. For upper suites they also charge 20% of the fare as your deposit. From my quick glance I would say Celebrity's deposit/refund schedule is actually the more friendly one. 

Not when you book more than 6 months out, the $250 penalty starts at 6 months out, so it is much more friendly than Celebrity. I am booked for March 2025 on Oceania and cancel up to September 2024 with no penalty. That is still better than Celebrity. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

With all of the additional nickel and diming that X does I think that the fares are rather comparable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

With all of the additional nickel and diming that X does I think that the fares are rather comparable.

I have found that to be true. We book Sky Suites with Celebrity and we can book a top level verandah on Oceania on a similar itinerary for less than a Sky Suite. Our 2025 South America cruise on Oceania for 18 days is a little less in cost than the Equinox 14 day cruise in a Sky Suite. We get 4 more days and 3 more ports than the similar Celebrity cruise for about the same price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I have found that to be true. We book Sky Suites with Celebrity and we can book a top level verandah on Oceania on a similar itinerary for less than a Sky Suite. Our 2025 South America cruise on Oceania for 18 days is a little less in cost than the Equinox 14 day cruise in a Sky Suite. We get 4 more days and 3 more ports than the similar Celebrity cruise for about the same price.

I suppose for folks who eat regularly at specialty dining, order room service, buy the internet, use laundry services, etc.  The value may be comparable, but the majority of X cruisers don't utilize all those extras and are therefore not nickel and dimed.

The idea that X and Oceania are comparable is based on those people who cruise in suites, which is by far not the majority of X's customer base.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

There is nothing preventing group space for suites but it is rather expensive for the agency to do it so most won't. There is one I know of that may but I do not think they make it publicly available. 

I know. They typically have to front the entire deposit for suites when reserved, not so for cabins below suites. 

mac_tlc

17 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Just more reason to look at more premium lines, we have Oceania booked for 2025 and their deposits are 100% refundable.

I hope you enjoy Oceania.
A 100% refundable deposit wouldn’t be an enticement for us to book them. Their ships have always been, and still are, just too small for us.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I hope you enjoy Oceania.
A 100% refundable deposit wouldn’t be an enticement for us to book them. Their ships have always been, and still are, just too small for us.

The refundable deposit on O is not the only enticement to book with them for us. The Retreat product is the ONLY thing that has kept us loyal to Celebrity. When Celebrity started pricing future Sky Suites at premium cruise line prices, we had no reason to not look beyond Celebrity for now. You would be surprised how many former Celebrity CC members are now on the Oceania forums and booking with Oceania. I know several fellow CC members who like me, regularly book Celebrity Suites, who are booking Oceania this year and next for the first time, because of future suites pricing.