Excursion minimum age question

I booked a scuba excursion with my son for St. Thomas. It's listed as a minimum age of 15. My son is 15. I booked it, and Royal Caribbean accepted the booking. I was re-reading it yesterday, and in the printed information in the body of the description, it says the minimum age is 16. Why would there be a different age listed there? And since they already accepted our booking, are we okay with it? My son is a certified scuba diver and this just a "discover scuba" try dive type excursion. I'm doing it because I want to see if I like scuba diving. So, in other words, it'll be nothing for him to do it. Regardless, it's all about the minimum age requirements.  

The two screenshots are below with the age descriptions. One 15, the other 16. Weird, right?

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 11.53.26 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 11.53.50 AM.png

Edited by njsmom

This is just my opinion.

Safety is the #1 priority on this type of excursion. It doesn't look good for the operator to lose a customer to drowning more than a couple of times.

Since your son is PADI qualified, there will most likely be no problem. Just make sure he's not setting YOU up! 😁  You might want to be good to him until then. 

I have done 1 of these one time....  I decided that I'm too old for that crap and that me and sea creatures are to avoid each other at all costs.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

This is just my opinion.

Safety is the #1 priority on this type of excursion. It doesn't look good for the operator to lose a customer to drowning more than a couple of times.

Since your son is PADI qualified, there will most likely be no problem. Just make sure he's not setting YOU up! 😁  You might want to be good to him until then. 

I have done 1 of these one time....  I decided that I'm too old for that crap and that me and sea creatures are to avoid each other at all costs.

I hear you! For me it's a bucket list kinda thing. I've always wanted to learn to scuba dive and I just keep getting older and, well, older. It's now or never. Maybe never. But at least I'll do this and be able to know for sure. 

I feel your pain @njsmom

These inaccuracies and inconsistencies in Royal's excursion descriptions are very annoying and frustrating. I wish they had someone to go through them and make sure they're correct. I have one booked that says in the top part that the full tour consists of one loop and then at the bottom it says there are two loops.

Anyway I hope you enjoy your excursion and that it will turn out to be something you love doing. 😊

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Since your son is PADI qualified, there will most likely be no problem.

The OP didn't mention who her son certified with, and PADI is just one of several dive organizations. While I'm PADI certified, my wife is NAUI certified. But you are right, as he is certified, there shouldn't be any issue. There's less risk with a certified 15 year old than with a 45 year old on a discover scuba dive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The OP didn't mention who her son certified with, and PADI is just one of several dive organizations. While I'm PADI certified, my wife is NAUI certified. But you are right, as he is certified, there shouldn't be any issue. There's less risk with a certified 15 year old than with a 45 year old on a discover scuba dive.

He's SSI certified. 

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

👍 Highly rated, but when DW and I certified, they had no presence in our area. 

Makes sense. I hadn't heard of it, but did research. My husband is PADI certified. I am hoping I enjoy scuba and want to get certified, so that the three of us can go on dive trips together. But we'll see...first I have to try it out.

• Like 1

that is frustrating.  Normally you are just simply blocked from booking the excursion. I would have him bring his cert. Who the heck knows, it seems VERY unlikely they would even ask his age, since he is booked. 

• Thanks 1