HAL New Enrichment Program

CM1984

8 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Never bought into the notion HAL needs to get glitzy now, so it can attract replacement passengers for its currently older and more sedate passenger base. Obviously at one time "corporate" thought differently. I appreciate their reassessment, and are now drifting back to former HAL basics - stodgy and loyal.  The comfortable old shoe cruise experience.

I know your long-standing POV and agree HAL should not reinvent itself. However, HAL does need to "update" itself. Remaining the same "stodgy" HAL is going to position the line to end up being the marine equivalent of the Catskills summer resorts -- vaguely nostalgic but not of interest to the retirees of the 2000s. Most retirees I know in their 60s and 70s are active and interested in a variety of things. They're doing yoga and cross-fit, not knitting and cross-stitch. They are docents in local museums, they are learning languages, participating in volunteer activities. I don't think shuffleboard and trivia are quite enough....  Pickleball is a very on-brand addition, IMO.

I don't want Carnival games and I don't need NCL-style entertainment. But I also don't want to walk aboard a HAL ship and feel like I'm in grandma's house or a ship from the 1970s (when I started cruising). By and large I like the decor and lighter feeling of the Pinnacle class ships. The size? Not so much.

All the appropriate infrastructure needs to be there. Connectivity, ability to do most things via an app rather than standing in a line or making a phone call. That kind of thing should be a given. 

Food also continues to claim a large part of people's attention from my age right down to the latest generation. Foodie experiences, food tours, hands-on food prep, gourmet and unusual dining options are all very attractive, especially when on vacation.

HAL has some room to update and still be HAL. It'd be like HAL after a makeover from Queer Eye: itself, yet subtly improved.  🤣🤣

• Like 8

The sports director joined the Rotterdam the end of February and they were doing the art classes too.  The Rotterdam has the library and looking forward to it being added/returned to the other ships.

• Like 3

On my first HAL cruises (1999 through early 2000’s), HAL would have Arts & Crafts activities on Sea Days.  The sessions usually started out with maybe 10 guests.  We’d do different things.  (I remember folding menus into boxes, which was really neat.)

By the fourth or fifth session, the crowd would be in the 20 - 30 people range because it was so much fun.  

I’ve gone to needlepoint and cross-stitch sessions on other cruise lines and have always enjoyed the chance to meet other passengers, but nothing matched those HAL Arts & Crafts sessions.

• Like 1

Just prior to the pandemic the Westerdam had an instructor who taught us how to use a smart phone as a camera, both in taking pictures and processing them.  Before that I had no idea that my iPhone was a better camera in many ways than my $300. Canon.  I would be more likely to book a cruise if I knew I could expect classes like that.  Imagine how many would sign up for a class on using AI or something like ChatGPT to learn about the ports we are visiting?  I certainly would.

Ray

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I know your long-standing POV and agree HAL should not reinvent itself. However, HAL does need to "update" itself. Remaining the same "stodgy" HAL is going to position the line to end up being the marine equivalent of the Catskills summer resorts -- vaguely nostalgic but not of interest to the retirees of the 2000s. Most retirees I know in their 60s and 70s are active and interested in a variety of things. They're doing yoga and cross-fit, not knitting and cross-stitch. They are docents in local museums, they are learning languages, participating in volunteer activities. I don't think shuffleboard and trivia are quite enough....  Pickleball is a very on-brand addition, IMO.

HAL has some room to update and still be HAL. It'd be like HAL after a makeover from Queer Eye: itself, yet subtly improved.  🤣🤣

Maybe stodgy old HAL will be the San Ysidro Ranch, and not Grosinger's.  🥰

I love the lighter and more contemporary look of the Pinnacle class ships.  There are things I love about HAL, specifically the Music Walk, but would also love some legit art classes, not adult coloring or origami.   Even a Painting with a Twist class could be fun.  I like cool cocktails and a good variety of food, as well as some varied entertainment.   We like trivia, and went on our last cruise, but it was truly way too easy for anyone who regularly does trivia.  Also, a good variety of fitness is appreciated.   Whoever said that the pickleball affiliation is on point is exactly right.    We sail HAL, but also Celebrity and Princess.   I’m right in the demographic, I’m 64, but we have sailed HAL with our kids in the past too.  Would love more lectures and naturalists and port guides too.   So some of the “old shoe” but with a new contemporary look and twist would be welcome to me.  

• Like 2