Does Princess Travel Protection cover e-z air flights?

jerbeth

I  booked my cruise yesterday. I had a nice FCC and it paid for the vast majority of the cruise. I paid the remaining small amount due, so cruise totally paid for. Later in the day I booked e-z air flights. Are they covered by the Princess Travel Protection?  My reason for being uncertain is that the insurance fee is based on the cost of the cruise and now there is another large sum added to the cost of the vacation. I need to be certain that the flights are indeed covered should something happen which caused me to cancel at the last minute, or I will need to purchase flight protection.

Yes they are which is the main reason we always consider buying them through easy air first. Occasionally it’s more expensive than can be had elsewhere but it’s been very rare in our instances. On those instance you just have to weight the risk vs cost. 

Hmmmm.... My understanding is that the protection plan covers you from when you leave the house until you get back, even if you didnt use EZ Air. 

Ive tried to close this post, and I keep getting myself in circles. 

I suggest that you call Princess soon and ask, Then be sure you come back and post the answer!

9 hours ago, sirclean said:

Hmmmm.... My understanding is that the protection plan covers you from when you leave the house until you get back, even if you didnt use EZ Air. 

The medical portion of the coverage may cover you in this way but I can’t say for sure. I’m confident the airfare reimbursement coverage will not cover the cost of flights not purchased using easy air. We had two cruises interrupted and had to file claims (2019) and can say for certain easy air flights are protected.
However one thing to know is the max limit of your recovery (non medical related coverage) is set at the total cost of your cruise fare and any easy air flight cost. Our expenses to get home from one New Zealand mid cruise interruption exceeded the initial cost of our trip and the insurance would only pay up to your initial investment. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the reassuring responses re: flight coverage. This will be my first solo trip since losing my husband and I just need to be certain that everything is properly lined up.

I finally found what it was that made me uncomfortable about the insurance coverage

.It is to do with the ‘cancel for any reason’ clause. I knew that I had read somewhere that insurance must be paid prior to final payment.

SPECIAL VACATION PROTECTION CANCELLATION ENHANCEMENT
Vacation Protection “ANY REASON” Travel Credits......Up to 100% of the non-refundable prepaid Cruise Vacation Cost
Provided by Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours
In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is otherwise restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased Vacation Protection, Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours will provide you a travel credit equal to 100% of the non-refundable value of your cruise vacation prepaid to Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours, for your use toward a future cruise vacation. This additional enhancement is offered by Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours as a special service to guests that purchase this ticket contract Cancellation Fee Waiver Program Addendum and is available only if purchased prior to final payment (for the cruise vacation). Certain restrictions on the use of these travel credits (such as blackout periods) may apply. To be eligible for credits, notification of cancellation must be given to Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours prior to the ship’s departure. Once you’ve cancelled with Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours, please contact the Program Administrator at 1-877-846-8833 regarding travel credit

Keep in mind that unless you are flying to embarkation port the day of your cruise then Princess insurance will not cover you on those days before the cruise unless you book a Princess hotel through Princess.  Same applies for after the cruise.  If you only care for the Cancel for any reason coverage then you might not need to be concerned about this.

10 hours ago, sirclean said:

Ive tried to close this post, and I keep getting myself in circles. 

I suggest that you call Princess soon and ask, Then be sure you come back and post the answer!

It covers you on the days you cruise if you did not buy EZ Air. If you fly in the day before and not use Princess hotels, it will not cover medical the day before.

Geoblue has a good (affordable) medical policy to cover medical while you are gone.

We had to fly home mid-cruise due to DH medical emergency…last minute new flights cost us upwards of $8k…We had Princess insurance, had to pay upfront for the flights, and were reimbursed in full about 4 months later.  Lesson learned-take an extra credit card with a $15k capacity for emergencies!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dickinson said:

Keep in mind that unless you are flying to embarkation port the day of your cruise then Princess insurance will not cover you on those days before the cruise unless you book a Princess hotel through Princess.  Same applies for after the cruise.  If you only care for the Cancel for any reason coverage then you might not need to be concerned about this.

Sorry but this is simply not accurate unless it’s just recently changed assuming you’re referring to flight cost coverage. Their precruise and post cruise flight cost coverage has been 30 days. We’ve covered many cruises with this and always have extra days (sometimes weeks) before or after a cruise. The two claims we had both had flights paid for that were in days before and after the voyage. And we have never used a Princes hotel. 
As I said above I am unsure about medical coverage 

Edited by gottagocit

4 hours ago, Coral said:

…Geoblue has a good (affordable) medical policy to cover medical while you are gone.

I agree. We’ve used them for several years. Their annual coverage is what we tend to purchase as it covers you for any number of trips in 12 months whether it’s cruise or land travel as long as it’s outside the USA. Of course it is primarily only medical and evacuation coverage. 

Edited by gottagocit
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, gottagocit said:

Sorry but this is simply not accurate unless it’s just recently changed assuming you’re referring to flight cost coverage. Their precruise and post cruise flight cost coverage has been 30 days. We’ve covered many cruises with this and always have extra days (sometimes weeks) before or after a cruise. The two claims we had both had flights paid for that were in days before and after the voyage. And we have never used a Princes hotel. 
As I said above I am unsure about medical coverage 

Flights (through Flexible EZ Air) but not independent hotels or medical between flights and cruise.

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

Flights (through Flexible EZ Air)….

Exactly. I should have included that. 
When sailing overseas we often book flights into a different city (or country even sometimes) using easy air and spend time exploring areas we haven’t been to yet. You know…while we’re in the neighborhood.

It’s very nice knowing the flights are covered and since we only book hotels that allow cancellation the risk of a large loss due to an unplanned something is minimal.

@gottagocitYou may have misunderstood me because I said the same thing as Coral but in different words.  Princess insurance will not cover you while exploring areas in the days before and after a cruise.  If you have a medical emergency then you are up the creek if you don't have other insurance.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dickinson said:

@gottagocitYou may have misunderstood me because I said the same thing as Coral but in different words.  Princess insurance will not cover you while exploring areas in the days before and after a cruise.  If you have a medical emergency then you are up the creek if you don't have other insurance.

I wasn’t sure if you were referring to lack of coverage for the flights or for medical issues so that’s why I indicated my point was related only to flight cost coverage and that I was unsure about the medical coverage.