London Hotel to Southampton Cruise Port

Has anyone used British Express cars ? I usually use Blackberry Cars, but they asking $250 USD to port.  Looking for any reviews or suggestions on any private car services between central London and Southampton Cruise Port. I posted this in the Europe topic and didnt receive any responses. 

Currently, typical prices for a private taxi transfer between London and Southampton are between £200-£300 depending on the number of passengers, how much luggage you are carrying and of course your transfer location in London. 

Train or coach is the cheaper option.

Edited by Bob++

1 hour ago, SakeDad said:

Think I'll be taking the bus!!!! Much more reasonable and I can save the money for the bartender! National Express

I'm not up-to-date on private transfer costs but I think it's lower than Bob's £200 - £300.

More like "around £200".

But bus or train are way more economical.

Direct hourly bus (£8 to £9 pp) takes about 2hrs 30mins leaves from Victoria Coach Station. They don't have elastic sides, booking strongly advised

Direct trains (2 - 3 per hour) take about 90 minutes, advance fares (book from about 12 weeks out) can cost as little as £14.50 pp, cost rises as the travel date gets closer and they're limited to the train time that you book - miss that train and you'll need to buy a full-fare (£53.10) ticket for the next one. Trains leave from London Waterloo station.

Check the location of your hotel - that might influence whether you choose bus or train.

JB 🙂

On 3/4/2023 at 11:44 AM, simber22 said:

Has anyone used British Express cars ? I usually use Blackberry Cars, but they asking $250 USD to port.  Looking for any reviews or suggestions on any private car services between central London and Southampton Cruise Port. I posted this in the Europe topic and didnt receive any responses. 

This seems to be about the going rate. We just booked with EC Minibus, and it was £240 for a trip from London to Southampton in July. They seem to have good reviews, and the service from their online folks has been great. Yet, as noted, there are cheaper methods available.

15 hours ago, Bob++ said:

The OP specifically asked if $250 was reasonable. A quick search came up with £200 plus, so - yes.

Of course public transport is cheaper. 

Err, yes, my apologies - I ddn't notice the mixed £ & $ signs.🙄

We're actually singing from the same song-sheet.

JB 🙂

On 3/4/2023 at 5:44 PM, simber22 said:

I am going to bite the bullet and reserve with Blackberry, it was £217 (4pax), to Southampton.  We are staying in London for a couple of days after the cruise, and we just ended up booking a last day excursion to Stonehenge that will drop us off back at LHR, where we'll have Blackberry transport us to London Proper.  Reduced the return trip cost, but it was the crusie line is charging a pretty penny for the excursion.  I have not used British Express.

On 3/8/2023 at 5:10 AM, John Bull said:

I'm not up-to-date on private transfer costs but I think it's lower than Bob's £200 - £300.

More like "around £200".

But bus or train are way more economical.

Direct hourly bus (£8 to £9 pp) takes about 2hrs 30mins leaves from Victoria Coach Station. They don't have elastic sides, booking strongly advised

Direct trains (2 - 3 per hour) take about 90 minutes, advance fares (book from about 12 weeks out) can cost as little as £14.50 pp, cost rises as the travel date gets closer and they're limited to the train time that you book - miss that train and you'll need to buy a full-fare (£53.10) ticket for the next one. Trains leave from London Waterloo station.

Check the location of your hotel - that might influence whether you choose bus or train.

JB 🙂

What is the website to book the train? The train I saw was much more expensive...I may have been on the wrong website.

2 hours ago, mskaufman said:

Is there public transportation directly from LHR to Southampton?

No direct train service so by train is quite complicated.

But a direct bus service 

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

The website is spelling-sensitive

To book you'll need your LHR terminal number - for terminals 2 & 3 it's central bus station (10 minute walk) but for T4 & T5 the buses call at those terminals.

Your destination is Southampton coach station.

About £24, 1hr 40 mins to 2 hours

Alternatives are ship's transfer bus (on sailing day) or private transfer 

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

10 hours ago, SakeDad said:

What is the website to book the train? The train I saw was much more expensive...I may have been on the wrong website.

7 hours ago, John Bull said:

What fare were you seeing?

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

London Waterloo (WAT) to Southampton Central (SOU)

You can only book train tickets a maximum of three months in advance. So if you (SakeDad) have been looking for July 2023, you're too early.

• Thanks 1

On 3/12/2023 at 1:12 AM, John Bull said:

No direct train service so by train is quite complicated.

But a direct bus service 

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

The website is spelling-sensitive

To book you'll need your LHR terminal number - for terminals 2 & 3 it's central bus station (10 minute walk) but for T4 & T5 the buses call at those terminals.

Your destination is Southampton coach station.

About £24, 1hr 40 mins to 2 hours

Alternatives are ship's transfer bus (on sailing day) or private transfer 

JB 🙂

Thanks, Seems to be about half the price for four of us to hire a car.