Shared Shuttle Rome to Port

gatorchinsky

Are there any Shared Shuttle companies that you may know of that have pick up times at Rome hotels before 10:00 am? They all seem to start around 10:30 am.  Not that I feel that’s bad, but it would mean getting to the port later than we like. I know we could do a private transfer but wanted to save a few dollars. Does anyone know what the port check in is like at Civitavecchia? What time do they usually start letting passengers on? 

What's the rush?  Enjoy an additional morning of sightseeing in Rome before you head to the port.

I suspect a lot of the shared shuttles are busy early in the am picking up passengers debarking from ships in Civi and bringing them to Rome. Then they turn around and pick up Rome passengers to take to Civi. Hence the timing.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

What's the rush?  Enjoy an additional morning of sightseeing in Rome before you head to the port.

I suspect a lot of the shared shuttles are busy early in the am picking up passengers debarking from ships in Civi and bringing them to Rome. Then they turn around and pick up Rome passengers to take to Civi. Hence the timing.

That makes a lot of sense. I just didn’t know how crazy or what times are the busiest times checking in.

I am with this poster.   I have been wondering the same thing.

If anyone has heard of a shared transfer that leaves Rome early, that would be great.

We like to board the ship as early as possible and get settled in.

My thoughts are, perhaps, finding another couple on the cruise roll call on CruiseCritic that might want to share the more expensive cost of a private transfer.  Which could be arranged to leave Rome earlier.  I just wonder how close our hotels in Rome might have to be.

Gator, I am not sure what cruise line you will be on, and when they might begin boarding.

We are looking at Princess, and all cruises we have been on have opened the terminal early, and began boarding priority guests between 10:30 - 11:00.  I am thinking it would be about the same at Civitavecchia.

• Like 1

In 2018, we booked a shared shuttle and it worked well. The driver went around Rome picking up people at their different hotels. I am sure the company was one of a few which is mentioned on CC all of the time. We did the same from the port to our airport hotel.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, dickinson said:

@nini What is the shared shuttle company name?  Since you have used them you are allowed to name them.  

Thanks.

I understand I am allowed to name them. I am.not sure, but I may be able to come up with the company. It was 4 and a half years ago.

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2023 at 1:26 PM, cruisemom42 said:

DH and I are planning on hearing the Pope speak from his apartment at 10:30am on Wednesday, October 18 then taking the train from Termini to Civitavecchia for our ship that is leaving port at 7pm.  Sound reasonable?  TIA!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

DH and I are planning on hearing the Pope speak from his apartment at 10:30am on Wednesday, October 18 then taking the train from Termini to Civitavecchia for our ship that is leaving port at 7pm.  Sound reasonable?  TIA!

I've not been to one but I understand they last about an hour and a half. You would be more than fine planning to do this.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I've not been to one but I understand they last about an hour and a half. You would be more than fine planning to do this.

Since I'm bending your ear😊 DH and I are flying into Rome Fiumicinino Saturday, October 14 at 7:15am. We are planning on taking the train to Venice St Lucia at 8:53am and spend the day and night in Venice. Does this train travel schedule sound reasonable to you?  We will be bringing carryon. From my research, Oct 14 train tickets are not available for purchase till mid June.  Should I purchase train tickets in advance or get them at the airport train station? TIA!

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

Since I'm bending your ear😊 DH and I are flying into Rome Fiumicinino Saturday, October 14 at 7:15am. We are planning on taking the train to Venice St Lucia at 8:53am and spend the day and night in Venice. Does this train travel schedule sound reasonable to you?  We will be bringing carryon. From my research, Oct 14 train tickets are not available for purchase till mid June.  Should I purchase train tickets in advance or get them at the airport train station? TIA!

Hmmm, if it were me I would probably not buy the tickets in advance. I'm assuming your 8:53 am departure time is for leaving the airport -- and if so, it is probably enough time, BUT things do happen. Planes are delayed both departing and landing, passport control lines are long, etc.

In October, I doubt there will be an overwhelming demand for this particular train. And if you buy in advance, you cannot use those tickets on another (later) train. 

Of course the downside is that you'll probably pay more than if you purchase early. (But not as much more as buying two sets of tickets because you missed the first train!)

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...