Smoking Policy on New Crystal

Stickman1990

Back to the topic of smoking:  (You might want to read all of this post before jumping to conclusions)

I decided to call Crystal  and ask about the policy.  Talked to a Rep.  Voiced my concerns about indoor smoking.  She asked if I wanted to flag  my booking to read that I was allergic to cigarette smoke.  I said no need; if Crystal allows indoor smoking I will be cancelling.  She read me the FAQ. I asked for more specifics.  She then read a statement that indicated smoking would be allowed in the Crystal Cove, the Avenue Saloon, and possibly other indoor areas.  I asked for that to be emailed to me.

Nothing Received.  I emailed Crystal that if this was the new smoking policy Crystal should prepare for mass cancellations. 

Later, received an email from the same rep:

"The information given was outdated.

Great news, we have confirmed with the ship, and they have advised us there will be no smoking allowed indoors only in the Connoisseur Club smoking lounge."

I responded this was not good enough, please make the FAQ clear.

Response:

We have updated the Cruise Contract   https://www.crystalcruises.com/legal/contract

Section 14:

(D)Smoking.Guests shall observe the nonsmoking areas on board the Ship. Indoor smoking is permitted only in the Connoisseur Club smoking lounge. Smoking is prohibited in all other indoor areas of the ship including all other public rooms, lounges, corridors and restaurants, as well as all staterooms, suites and verandahs. If smoke is detected in a stateroom or suite, Guest acknowledges and agrees that a cleaning fee of $250 per occurrence will be billed to Guest's account. Outdoor smoking is allowed in designated spaces posted on the Ships. If there is any ongoing violation of the non-smoking policy, Carrier reserves the right and Guest acknowledges that he or she may incur additional fines up to and including disembarkation without refund.

I believe this to be the same language used by old Crystal .  Too bad I didn't save an old contract so I could verify.

I still believe Crystal should update the FAQ to Make the policy clear, but this sounds good. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bitob said:

Personally I have not sailed Viking. But I have never met a single cruiser who didn’t tell me how much they love Viking. This includes folks I met on Crystal.  Tempted   There must be something to it 

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/vikingrivercruises.co.uk not everybody might agree.

They were absolutely diabolical with refunds during the pandemic. They refused point blank to issue refunds on cancelled cruises. Also the 18 month final payment policy may put some people off, especially knowing how they dealt with situations in the past.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/vikingrivercruises.co.uk not everybody might agree.

They were absolutely diabolical with refunds during the pandemic. They refused point blank to issue refunds on cancelled cruises. Also the 18 month final payment policy may put some people off, especially knowing how they dealt with situations in the past.

I didn’t do any independent research. Just anecdotal from people I’ve met cruising. Apparently it’s not all rosy. 

we all know about no refunds lol

45 minutes ago, History&Wine said:

Back to the topic of smoking:  (You might want to read all of this post before jumping to conclusions)

I decided to call Crystal  and ask about the policy.  Talked to a Rep.  Voiced my concerns about indoor smoking.  She asked if I wanted to flag  my booking to read that I was allergic to cigarette smoke.  I said no need; if Crystal allows indoor smoking I will be cancelling.  She read me the FAQ. I asked for more specifics.  She then read a statement that indicated smoking would be allowed in the Crystal Cove, the Avenue Saloon, and possibly other indoor areas.  I asked for that to be emailed to me.

Nothing Received.  I emailed Crystal that if this was the new smoking policy Crystal should prepare for mass cancellations. 

Later, received an email from the same rep:

"The information given was outdated.

Great news, we have confirmed with the ship, and they have advised us there will be no smoking allowed indoors only in the Connoisseur Club smoking lounge."

I responded this was not good enough, please make the FAQ clear.

Response:

We have updated the Cruise Contract   https://www.crystalcruises.com/legal/contract

Section 14:

(D)Smoking.Guests shall observe the nonsmoking areas on board the Ship. Indoor smoking is permitted only in the Connoisseur Club smoking lounge. Smoking is prohibited in all other indoor areas of the ship including all other public rooms, lounges, corridors and restaurants, as well as all staterooms, suites and verandahs. If smoke is detected in a stateroom or suite, Guest acknowledges and agrees that a cleaning fee of $250 per occurrence will be billed to Guest's account. Outdoor smoking is allowed in designated spaces posted on the Ships. If there is any ongoing violation of the non-smoking policy, Carrier reserves the right and Guest acknowledges that he or she may incur additional fines up to and including disembarkation without refund.

I believe this to be the same language used by old Crystal .  Too bad I didn't save an old contract so I could verify.

I still believe Crystal should update the FAQ to Make the policy clear, but this sounds good. 

This is what happens when you are so lazy that you just cut and paste from an old outdated information sheet/document. Happened all the time on old Crystal with respect to Reflections. And other printed matter.🙄

• Like 2

My husband and I had 17 cruises with Crystal, before their bankruptcy.  We loved every one of them.  We switched to Viking, after their demise.    We feel Viking Ocean is every bit as good as Crystal and even though we will “try” Crystal again, we are very happy with Viking. 

• Thanks 1