New to P&O

CruiseTee

8 minutes ago, CruiseTee said:

I just looked at it online. I think we are going to do that! Seems the cheapest way to go!

I’ve done this a couple of times with no issues! There are (usually) taxis waiting outside the coach station at Southampton and it’s a short ride to any of the cruise terminals - costing less than £10 including tip when I did it in January 2020.

Edited by Jonem2001
  • Like 1

Does anyone know what the boarding times usually are for P&O? I'm trying to figure out what time to arrive in Southampton. 

I know most American cruise lines let you board at around Noon. Our ship leaves port at 6pm. Would getting there around 1pm be ok?

Thanks again for everyone's great advice!

1 hour ago, CruiseTee said:

Does anyone know what the boarding times usually are for P&O? I'm trying to figure out what time to arrive in Southampton. 

I know most American cruise lines let you board at around Noon. Our ship leaves port at 6pm. Would getting there around 1pm be ok?

Thanks again for everyone's great advice!

You will be issued boarding times a few weeks before the cruise.  Boarding times are normally enforced,  but I would say that planning to arrive at 13:00 is a reasonable schedule,  even if you have to wait for a while to board.  

1 hour ago, CruiseTee said:

On the same note, what time will we be allowed to disembark when the ship returns? I believe it states the ship will arrive back at Southampton at 6am. I am guessing we would all have to be off the ship by 10am? 

10:00 at the very latest. More likely 9:30 would be the latest disembarkation time.

• Like 1

On our recent cruise on Iona we had a disembarkation time of 8-25 to 8-35am and had to leave our cabin by 8am. But not to go to dedicated lounge no more than 10 mins before allocated time. So people were just hanging around in corridors but we went early straight to Club House at 8-05am and on arrival were told we could disembark, no queues and very efficient.

• Like 1

I have yet another question about this cruise...LOL! 

As citizens of the US, do we need travel insurance? I looked on the P&O website and it seems that UK citizens must show proof of insurance before boarding. I went onto the P&O website and tried to purchase travel insurance, since it wasn't that expensive, but I am not able to because I have to have an address in the UK and I don't. 

Here in the US, travel insurance is optional and not mandatory for cruising. 

Thanks again to everyone...you have all been so helpful!

3 hours ago, CruiseTee said:

I have yet another question about this cruise...LOL! 

As citizens of the US, do we need travel insurance? I looked on the P&O website and it seems that UK citizens must show proof of insurance before boarding. I went onto the P&O website and tried to purchase travel insurance, since it wasn't that expensive, but I am not able to because I have to have an address in the UK and I don't. 

Here in the US, travel insurance is optional and not mandatory for cruising. 

Thanks again to everyone...you have all been so helpful!

Even if insurance is not mandatory,  how will you pay for hospital treatment,  medical evacuation,  etc. if you fall ill, or have an accident? 

Surely it is a good idea to buy travel insurance regardless? 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, wowzz said:

Even if insurance is not mandatory,  how will you pay for hospital treatment,  medical evacuation,  etc. if you fall ill, or have an accident? 

Surely it is a good idea to buy travel insurance regardless? 

Most people in the US have private health insurance, which covers most of the things you mention above. When I've had to go to the medical center for treatment on a cruise, my health insurance covers it. If I were to have to go to the hospital while abroad, my health insurance will cover it. The UK has national health insurance, right? Maybe that's why it's mandatory to have travel insurance there. 

52 minutes ago, CruiseTee said:

Most people in the US have private health insurance, which covers most of the things you mention above. When I've had to go to the medical center for treatment on a cruise, my health insurance covers it. If I were to have to go to the hospital while abroad, my health insurance will cover it. The UK has national health insurance, right? Maybe that's why it's mandatory to have travel insurance there. 

What happens if you get travel delay, lost luggage, personal belongings or money or theft. That is also covered in travel insurance in the UK. Do you not insure for these purposes in US and travel and hope and pray these things don't happen.

57 minutes ago, CruiseTee said:

Who will pay for a helicopter airlift. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Who will pay for a helicopter airlift. 

Most high-end credit cards (like the American Express Platinum) will pay for those types of things...lost luggage, travel delays, etc. If I was older than I am now (55), I would be concerned with the cost of the helicopter air lift. Right now, that's probably an extreme scenario if one is in relatively good health. I've been on 25+ cruises and have never purchased travel insurance. If I had a health condition, I would definitely purchase it. 

I'm just wondering if P&O will let me and my party on the ship if I don't have travel insurance. This is also a 4 night cruise, if I were on a longer cruise (2+ weeks), I could see the need for travel insurance. I don't even have a problem purchasing it for this cruise, as I looked into it with P&Os provider, but since I am not a citizen of the UK, I cannot purchase it. It was only like 25 pounds per person, so I definitely wanted to get it, just for peace of mind that I won't have a problem boarding, but they won't sell it to me. I can grab a policy through a US company, but this now seems like a huge pain. 

Update: I emailed P&O and received the following very nice email explanation about the travel insurance, and then went ahead and purchased a travel policy through an American carrier. Good info to know for those traveling on P&O from the US!

Good Evening Mrs 

Thank you for your email. I am pleased to hear you are joining us on board Britannia for your holiday.

You do not need to book travel insurance directly through Holiday Extras, this is just a recommendation as I recognise that you are a U.S citizen. All guests however must have comprehensive travel insurance that includes cover for cruising, medical disembarkation and emergency evacuation.

It is the guests reponsibility to ensure you have appropriate cover in place for the duration of your holiday. Unfortunately you will be denied boarding, at your own expense, if you’re unable to confirm you have arranged insurance.

You may be asked for proof of your travel insurance so please be sure to bring either a printed or digital copy of your insurance documentation that confirms cover for the named travellers over the dates of travel.

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and we look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Kind regards,

Matthew
Guest Support Representative

• Like 1

If you want to and are able to take your own luggage you can disembark between 7ish and 8am latest - self disembarkation option. you keep all your luggage - goto breakfast early - dash back to cabin b4 745 and be off by 8am The times otherwise are suites and loyalty first then working down the tiers. they give you the times on the last couple of days of cruise. We have started doing the self option - off ship by 8am - in car by 830-9am - home by 2pm after a 3 hr drive. So if you want a definitive time you will be off, this is the way...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lebreos said:

If you want to and are able to take your own luggage you can disembark between 7ish and 8am latest - self disembarkation option. you keep all your luggage - goto breakfast early - dash back to cabin b4 745 and be off by 8am The times otherwise are suites and loyalty first then working down the tiers. they give you the times on the last couple of days of cruise. We have started doing the self option - off ship by 8am - in car by 830-9am - home by 2pm after a 3 hr drive. So if you want a definitive time you will be off, this is the way...

Just be aware that the lifts can be jammed full. It can be a bit fraught unkess you disembark really early.

11 minutes ago, suech1970 said:

the best food ANYWHERE you’ll get on Britannia

Did you try Epicurean? That was always the best dining on Britannia by a mile and our favourite restaurant in the P&O fleet. It would be a great shame if it’s gone downhill. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 7:56 PM, CruiseTee said:

If I was older than I am now (55), I would be concerned with the cost of the helicopter air lift. Right now, that's probably an extreme scenario if one is in relatively good health. I've been on 25+ cruises and have never purchased travel insurance. If I had a health condition, I would definitely purchase it. 

Age and current good health does not mean that you wouldn't have an accident or a serious medical incident that required you to bring airlifted from the ship.  My brother who was very fit and 46 years old had a severe heart attack at work and passed away on the ambulance to the hospital.  Unexpected health problems occur every day.

• Like 2