Tour from NAPLES to POMPEII AND POSITANO

bianks

Hi CCs,

travelling 2 adults with 2 kids in August.

Can someone recommend a company that would be able to pick us up from our cruise port and take us to both 

Pompeii and Positano, before dropping us back at the port in Naples? 

huge thanks 🙂

p.s. I should add, the cruise ship have one and it visits Pompeii Amalfi coast AND Capri in the one day.... that sounds extremely exhausting - anyone tried it? would you recommend against squeezing all that into 1 day? I was thinking skipping Capri, husband says do it :S 

It's nuts to try and cram all three into one day.  Plus I would question their definition of "visit".  It could just be a drive by with a quick stop to take pictures of Positano from the road above before dropping you off in Sorrento to get a ferry to Capri.

What are your port hours?  That might impact the order of things, for example if you have an early arrival there's no point in going right to Pompei only to wait for an hour until it opens.

2 hours ago, LisaDee said:

This is the one we’re planning to book, I’ve read good reviews on this company.

https://www.italytours.eu/shore-excursions/naples-shore-excursions/pompeii-sorrento-positano/

Please note that per Cruise Critic policy, posters are not allowed to recommend a company unless/until they have actually taken the tour:

• Haha 1

I highly recommend Rome in Limo as well. I have done 6 tours with them and can confirm they are outstanding.

We just did a tour out of Naples with them this summer to both Positano and Pompeii.  Spectacular.
 Email them and Jany will get right back to you. She is amazing. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sapphireblue said:

I highly recommend Rome in Limo as well. I have done 6 tours with them and can confirm they are outstanding.

We just did a tour out of Naples with them this summer to both Positano and Pompeii.  Spectacular.

have you done any with Italy tours . EU? they are coming in significantly cheaper........ hmmm

On 3/13/2023 at 9:58 PM, sapphireblue said:

Did you actually go into Positano or just a roadside view of the town?

We have stopped in Positano and had approximately 1 hour to roam around the streets and shop. I have done this tour twice so far and the next time I travel to this area I will work with Jany at Rome in Limo to have more time in Positano.  
I will add that this last summer, due to a travel obstruction on the road that made a visit to Sorrento a problem, our driver suggested a wine tasting (lunch) to a winery at Mount Vesuvius, very close to Pompeii.  Oh my goodness!  It was an unexpected highlight of our tour.  
We then concluded our day at Pompeii.  It was an epic day.  We shared this tour here on cruise critic and had no problem filling the extra seats on our 6 passenger  van, making the cost per person very affordable.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bianks said:

have you done any with Italy tours . EU? they are coming in significantly cheaper........ hmmm

No, I have only used Rome in Limo.  I did three tours back to back in 2014, and because I was so impressed with the quality of the tour, I booked the same three again this last summer.  I have had awesome experiences working with Janey in the office.  She is very quick to respond and was amazing at working through some of my requests. 

17 hours ago, bianks said:

damn, unfortunately Rome in Limo got back to me saying they're booked out! 
They have recommended  www.italyprivatexcursion.com 

anyone used them before? 

There are at least a dozen different vendors that have been recommended in this forum over the past few yrs. Use the SEARCH feature, on the word "positano", and read thru old threads to find vendors. (aldolimo, joebanana, italytourseu, italytoursharing, taximistercabdriver come to mind )

Maybe a private tour for your family so that you can set the itinerary? I used AldoLimo in Sept 2019; $400 for the day. The minivans usually hold 8, but I think 6 would be best on a hot humid day in August. To reduce the cost, check your Roll Call to see if another couple will join you. We chose to focus on the Amalfi Coast and did not visit Pompeii.  The driver suggested an early start to avoid some traffic so we left at 7:30am, drove to Positano, then caught a ferry to Amalfi (so that we could enjoy views of the villages from the sea),  drove to Ravello, then took a back road to return to Naples. Great day.  You could skip Ravello and have the driver drop you at Pompeii at the end of the trip, then you could take the train back to Naples. You'll find DIY directions in the old posts when you do the search.

Edited by mapleleaves
typo
  • Like 1

im finding a lot of the tours do a fair timed stop in Sorrento and then very little time to stop in Positano. 

Positano looks so gorgeous, is it worth finding a tour that offers more time in Positano and less time in Sorrento or is that not quite the thing? 

6 hours ago, bianks said:

im finding a lot of the tours do a fair timed stop in Sorrento and then very little time to stop in Positano. 

Positano looks so gorgeous, is it worth finding a tour that offers more time in Positano and less time in Sorrento or is that not quite the thing? 

Italytoursharing has all sorts of mix and match.