insurance

dolphin lady

I booked a cruise on NCL for June 2024. I've been several cruises before but have never booked this far in advance and have always purchased insurance. My question is should I purchase the insurance this far ahead or wait maybe six months from now?

3 minutes ago, dolphin lady said:

I booked a cruise on NCL for June 2024. I've been several cruises before but have never booked this far in advance and have always purchased insurance. My question is should I purchase the insurance this far ahead or wait maybe six months from now?

When did you book? Here's my reason for asking: many people seem to be fans of CFAR (Cancel for any reason) insurance, which must be purchased within a few days of making the first reservation on any trip.

Edited by DCGuy64

18 minutes ago, dolphin lady said:

Not 100 percent sure but many insurance companies cover pre existing conditions only when perched within a given timeframe 

• Like 1

I have been cruising for 43 years, the first time I purchased Cruise Travel Insurance was 2021.  It was the best decision I had made in those 43 years.  My wife go Covid 8 days before the cruise.  I would have lost half my money paid.  Instead, it was back in my account in15 business days.

@DCGuy64 Makes a valid point on if you want the cancel at any time clause.  If that is not important then you can consider purchase up to your final payment.  The question at hand is pre-existing concisions and the time that has to pass for them to be covered.  Please read the fine print on that topic.

The reason I suggest purchasing at final payment is for the most part, once you purchase the insurance and it passed it 30 day right to cancel, you own it.  If you wanted to cancel your cruise deposit for a full refund prior to full payment, you would not get back the insurance premium.  Hope that makes sense.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

CFAR is expensive and something that I'm not willing to pay for.  I generally buy policies that have a modest pre-existing condition lookback (e.g. 60 days).  If I get to final payment and have no recent medical history that could interfere with my cruise, then I'm good to go.

Depending on how many trips you take a year, you might want to consider a yearly annual insurance policy. I purchase a policy last October and so far 2 cruises and flights have been cover by it. I have a 2 weeks Morocco tour coming this May and the cost of insurance for that trip alone was over $500pp. My yearly policy cost around $700 for 2 people (CFAR not included), and covers all trips in a 365 days period. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, destar said:

Depending on how many trips you take a year, you might want to consider a yearly annual insurance policy. I purchase a policy last October and so far 2 cruises and flights have been cover by it. I have a 2 weeks Morocco tour coming this May and the cost of insurance for that trip alone was over $500pp. My yearly policy cost around $700 for 2 people (CFAR not included), and covers all trips in a 365 days period. 

May I ask, thru which Insurance Company?

We buy insurance as soon as we pay out ANY money other than the deposit especially airfare and certainly before we make the final payment.

Also my wife was unexpectedly and suddenly diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, possibly Covid induced, after taking out the insurance for two upcoming cruises.   The company said it would be covered WITHOUT additional premium, they had a term for that sort of thing, can't remember what it was..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casofilia said:

We buy insurance as soon as we pay out ANY money other than the deposit especially airfare and certainly before we make the final payment.

Also my wife was unexpectedly and suddenly diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, possibly Covid induced, after taking out the insurance for two upcoming cruises.   The company said it would be covered WITHOUT additional premium, they had a term for that sort of thing, can't remember what it was..

As long as the diagnosis was after insurance purchase, it wasn't a preexisting condition (i.e. it would be covered as medical).