Looking for a 5-6* cruise line...

planada

Looking for a 5-6* cruise line that focuses on history of the areas visited with on board speakers and commentary. We have only found this on Viking but haven't found the right Asian itinerary. Just returned from a Regent South America cruise which we loved but were disappointed there were no speakers on board other than Broadway Musical thru the Ages

9 hours ago, planada said:

Looking for a 5-6* cruise line that focuses on history of the areas visited with on board speakers and commentary. We have only found this on Viking but haven't found the right Asian itinerary. Just returned from a Regent South America cruise which we loved but were disappointed there were no speakers on board other than Broadway Musical thru the Ages

Interesting that there are no replies yet, so I thought I'd send a note. I don't know the answer to the question, but I follow a YouTube channel, "Tips for Travellers" (note the British spelling). He's got videos on all aspects of cruising, and I'll bet one or more answers this question. I hope they don't get rid of this note for mentioning this; I have no interest in his stuff other than as a follower.

10 hours ago, planada said:

That’s a tough one because my answer would have been Viking. 

Take a look at Silversea, especially their enriched voyages. I took a cruise last year to Alaska on Silver Muse, and it was excellent. They had excellent speakers. 

Otherwise, I’m not sure who else to suggest. Other similar lines like Oceania and Azamara have fallen short in that area. 

I don’t have an answer for you, but it may be you will have to choose one or the other.  There used to be a one ship line called Voyages to Antiquity.  They use a small and quite old ship,  certainly 4-5*.  They did unique itineraries with many overnights in port.  I never sailed them, but one member here, @cruisemom42really loved them.  Perhaps if she sees this, she will stop by with observations and suggestions.  Perhaps you should look into some lines that do not sail regularly from the US, or market themselves here.  Such as Hapag-Lloyd, Saga (must be over 50), National Geographic, Smithsonian…EM

Yes, I loved Voyages to Antiquity, they definitely had the lectures you want but I would not say they were a luxury operation. Very pleasant, yes, but the journey and the speakers were the thing, not so much the ship... Now, however, the ship has been leased to Road Scholars and it is not the same operation.

That said, I also cruised on another British line, similar but a bit more posh, called Swan Hellenic. They too went bust (well before COVID), but now are back with a new ship or ships and a very, very pricey set-up. Previously they offered more of a British country house experience, now they seem more luxury but still with lectures and enrichment that is related to each itinerary. A number of their offerings are of the expedition type, but they also have some other, more cultural itineraries.  You could check them out. They are the best option I can think of for what you're looking for.

I can't understand why more ships don't offer lectures that are geared toward the itineraries sailed (not on the purely sun 'n fun cruises, but others that are more port intensive....).  I fail to get the logic of being on a cruise to the Greek isles, let's say, and having a lecturer on board whose specialty is the Cold War relations between the US and Russia. 🙄

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I can't understand why more ships don't offer lectures that are geared toward the itineraries sailed (not on the purely sun 'n fun cruises, but others that are more port intensive....).  I fail to get the logic of being on a cruise to the Greek isles, let's say, and having a lecturer on board whose specialty is the Cold War relations between the US and Russia. 🙄

Couldn't agree more!  There was also another UK line operating in a similar way called Voyages of Discovery, who also went out of business.  They had just one ship, Discovery, which had an earlier life as Island Princess, apparently occasionally appearing in 'The Love Boat'.

We sailed with her twice, once being lucky enough to visit Libya during that brief period when that country was open to UK citizens.  One oddity of that cruise was that at one port, Al Khums, just a single shore excursion was offered, but it was to the spectacular Leptis Magna, and I think every passenger went.  

Edited by Sekhmet

5 hours ago, Sekhmet said:

We sailed with her twice, once being lucky enough to visit Libya during that brief period when that country was open to UK citizens.  One oddity of that cruise was that at one port, Al Khums, just a single shore excursion was offered, but it was to the spectacular Leptis Magna, and I think every passenger went.

Ah, now you are just taunting me. Leptis Magna is probably #1 on my bucket list and has been for years. During that very brief period, Voyages to Antiquity called there -- I think it was their inaugural season, and it was also the first year that US citizens were allowed to enter Libya. I thought I'd wait a year, just to let them get the kinks out....and what happened?  The Arab Spring...

Not sure if I will ever get their now, but I figure I still have a good number of traveling years ahead of me, so who knows? Just so long as some crazy radical militia or group doesn't decide to destroy it.

(I'm not sure if you remember, but I believe we used to exchange posts on Egypt, many years ago.)

Thank you all so much for the insight. Honestly not the best news but something new to think about. The lecturers are a big part of the experience for us and am saddened that only Viking offers them regarding the “areas” sailed. I would think most of us older clients feel the way I do. Again. I really appreciate your insight.

On 3/11/2023 at 2:09 PM, cruisemom42 said:

(I'm not sure if you remember, but I believe we used to exchange posts on Egypt, many years ago.)

Yes that would likely be me;  my screen name does give a clue to my particular interest in Ancient Egypt.

And to the OP, the other higher end line which usually has good quality lecturers is Cunard, although they are not always relevant to the area being sailed.  One further thought, we recently did the full Norwegian Coastal Voyage with Hurtigruten all the way from Bergen to Kirkenes and back, with 34 stops, some for as little as 15 minutes in the middle of the night.  Every day there were relevant and very good talks on local geology, wildlife, Sami culture, how the Norwegian economy works etc.  Hurtigruten also do somewhat more conventional voyages and I would assume also give appropriate talks on them, but they aren't 5-6*.  Other lines offering expedition-type cruises might be worth a look.

Sometimes the best of these is university alumni associations.  I know my undergrad and grad school both sponsor pretty amazing trips (many of them cruises) to places of historical, artistic, bioanthro, and/or archaeological significance (e.g., the ME, the Mediterranean, Western Europe, Central America, I could go on, but this is off the top of my head, with cats meowing for food next to me -- anyhow).  Professors who are experts in the fields accompany the group on the trips and provide lectures throughout the voyages, and are available more informally to answer questions as well.  

Perhaps alumni associations to which you or someone close to you are affiliated has something like this?

• Like 1