Bergen, Norway - Excursion Question, NCL Bergen on Foot & Funicular

SakeDad

We are in Bergen in July and deciding between booking NCL's excursion or doing the Hop On/Hop Off bus and buying our own ticket for the funicular. I am worried by the description on NCL that the "Guide" just walks you past everything instead of really visiting. Has anyone done the NCL tour and would you recommend just doing the HOHO bus instead so you can move at your own pace? For the price it's about the same.

3 hours ago, SakeDad said:

We are in Bergen in July and deciding between booking NCL's excursion or doing the Hop On/Hop Off bus and buying our own ticket for the funicular. I am worried by the description on NCL that the "Guide" just walks you past everything instead of really visiting. Has anyone done the NCL tour and would you recommend just doing the HOHO bus instead so you can move at your own pace? For the price it's about the same.

Actually the funicular station of Fløibanen is located less than 20 minutes walking distance from the port, so not really any need for bus transportation unless you have difficulties walking. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cc1940ec3b1f37f84e448ed3d1c09702.jpeg

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Thanks 1

Actually there are two different "funiculars" in Bergen, and both offer spectacular views and are worth a visit, as the views are very different - and the "way to the top" is also very different. We have done both while visiting Bergen on a cruise - allthough on two different occasions. The photos below I have taken myself.

The more touristic Fløibanen is a regular funicular up the steep hill and offers a nice view over the city centre of Bergen and its surroundings:

20150624_093902(002).thumb.jpg.e91180c274712716fdeffc379b4be5fc.jpg

And the other one is a regular cable car, it is called Ulrikenbanen and takes you to the top of Ulriken mountain (a popular spot for the locals to go hiking). And the view from there is even more spectacular:

20170719_135122.thumb.jpg.53bee41f58a8c6f1799ddf071030ed1f.jpg

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, SakeDad said:

Do you think you could do both in one day and still explore the city? THANKS!

Yes, if you plan your day well.

For the Ulriken cable car we experienced a very long line to get "on board", as the weather was very nice that day and "everyone" seemed to be waiting in that line. Would probably be a good idea to get there early in the morning, then when you are back down take a taxi from the lower station if the Ulriken cable car to the Fløibanen funicular, and after that just explore the city on foot.

• Thanks 1

Bergen was great fun to walk around. It’s small enough that you can easily do it on your own, so I’d recommend the Hoho route. The Floribanen was a must see for us and resulted in great pictures. IMHO, trying to do two funiculars would be overkill and take away from your walkabout time.

People we’re very friendly and helpful. Be sure to have a beer at one of the outside venues, although beers start at $10! Fish is outstanding if you’re a seafood person. You’ll love Bergen!

• Thanks 1

We have done the Bergen funicular twice by ourselves. Purchase your tickets ahead of time and you will skip most of the line. 

This past summer is was POURING rain and we still walked there and went to the top. Not enjoyable doable.

There is no need to do an NCL tour. It is a lovely town to walk around when you get finished with the top of the mountain.

It is cold!

We did the NCL excursion you describe in Bergen.  It was a gorgeous sunny day in July.  

If I were to do it again I would do it on my own and not with a guide.  Our guide was so boring we left the excursion.  Everything to see is within walking distance of the port.  Go to the outdoor market, the gardens and the funicular.  The goats are friendly and funny.  There is no need to do HOHO since everything is so close together.  The best soft ice cream I’ve ever had was in Bergen and I’ll never forget it!9F7F8DA3-FE56-4BA5-BC44-05D2471D2CBD.thumb.jpeg.6ec7ffc46b486454d4a653d4110ff6c6.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

Actually the funicular station of Fløibanen is located less than 20 minutes walking distance from the port, so not really any need for bus transportation unless you have difficulties walking. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cc1940ec3b1f37f84e448ed3d1c09702.jpeg

Sorry, no, not that Cruise Terminal (which is for smaller cruise ships), but Prima will dock at Jekteviksterminalen 2, according to Bergen Cruise schedule 2023. See below:

image.thumb.png.0c53fdaeb1cd39f92cad6ffdfa31de20.png

That was where our ship Norwegian Star docked last July. The bus stop for the HOHO bus is close by - just show up and buy ticket there or on bus.

image.thumb.png.c1f7c42883a96caede324db772debf72.png

I went on the HOHO bus, rode it to the Fish Market, got off and toured the vicinity. Then hopped back on and rode on to see the rest of the loop and hopped off and walked back to the ship.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Sorry, no, not that Cruise Terminal (which is for smaller cruise ships), but Prima will dock at Jekteviksterminalen 2, according to Bergen Cruise schedule 2023. See below:

image.thumb.png.0c53fdaeb1cd39f92cad6ffdfa31de20.png

That was where our ship Norwegian Star docked last July. The bus stop for the HOHO bus is close by - just show up and buy ticket there or on bus.

That obviously varies a bit then, as we have been to Bergen with NCL twice in recent years - once with the Star and once with the Jade, and both times we docked where it is marked on the map as Cruise Terminal Bergen. This photo is taken from the Fløien mountain and it shows the Star on the right hand side of the photo.... And even if the ship is docking at the Jektevikstermal this time, it is still less than 20 minutes walk from the pier to the funicular station.... So the essence of my reply would be the same anyway. 😊

image.thumb.jpeg.f4f5a4d66357c460d13f918b7a00107b.jpeg

• Thanks 1