Lunch/shopping near EB Hotel, Miami Springs area

Muckyduckway

We'll be staying 2 nights in the EB Hotel near Miami Airport (4299 NW 36th St).

Anywhere you'd recommend within walking distance for lunch and a spot of shopping (nothing high-end, just somewhere to spend an hour or so browsing).

As Europeans, we can happily stroll around a Walgrens or Publix or similar for low-key entertainment.

For lunch we'd prefer somewhere that has local flavor but offers fish or vegetarian options. 

I stayed at the EB hotel last year before my cruise. Because I was traveling solo I did not leave the hotel so I cannot comment on what is nearby but they have a very nice restaurant in the hotel and the food was good. Perhaps you could email the hotel directly and ask them what is in walking distance around that area and they could give you some suggestions. 

On 3/12/2023 at 6:59 AM, Muckyduckway said:

We'll be staying 2 nights in the EB Hotel near Miami Airport (4299 NW 36th St).

Anywhere you'd recommend within walking distance for lunch and a spot of shopping (nothing high-end, just somewhere to spend an hour or so browsing).

As Europeans, we can happily stroll around a Walgrens or Publix or similar for low-key entertainment.

For lunch we'd prefer somewhere that has local flavor but offers fish or vegetarian options. 

Glad I saw your post. Have been researching hotel options in the Miami area- our budget can go up to $400/night. Shocked to see so many negative reviews for even the higher end, full service options. We typically stay in Marriott branded properties and there is really only one that I would consider but their reservation system is not yet open through next February. We booked 2 nights pre and 1 night post at the EB and got an excellent AAA rate.

On 3/13/2023 at 2:29 PM, Cruisesfun65 said:

While EB is a fantastic hotel, there is absolutely nothing within walking distance. Only a Burger King, Pollo Tropical and a store selling office supplied.

I suspected as much from Google maps, but was hoping I was just missing something obvious. It's weird how the level of magnification affects what shows up and streetview is only good if you know what direction to go!

Not too much entertainment to be had in an office supplies store 😀

It's good to know the hotel is fantastic; we were hopeful it would be as good as it looks.

On 3/13/2023 at 3:33 PM, Marie51 said:

I stayed at the EB hotel last year before my cruise. Because I was traveling solo I did not leave the hotel so I cannot comment on what is nearby but they have a very nice restaurant in the hotel and the food was good. Perhaps you could email the hotel directly and ask them what is in walking distance around that area and they could give you some suggestions. 

Great to hear from someone who has actually stayed there and has positive things to say. 

I will definitely ask the staff there; although it sounds like the restaurant might hit the spot.

We want to just hang out and chill too, but like to plan for 'a change of mind'.

On 3/14/2023 at 10:27 AM, BoozinCroozin said:

There is not too much near the airport. You have to go east towards downtown or west more towards Doral. A good local restaurant (even though they sold several years ago) is Flannigan's. Not too far from you and maybe $10 uber each way.

Is that Flannigan's Seafood Bar & Grill? If so, looks like it's right by a Walmart, so if we feel like venturing out that would be a two in one.

@JHLH821 Glad to have helped in your hotel search. Reviews are a blessing and a curse. Ive lost count of the number of times I've settled on accommodation only to read extremely negative reports. I'm immune to the nit-pickers, but talk of poor cleanliness or uncomfortable beds is off-putting.

I too was happy with the price point for what looks like a lovely hotel. It's probably it's location combined with it being the first of the chain in the US. 

If you are going before October, it would be nice to hear what you thought of it?

we are not travelling until next February and already several room types were sold out. cleanliness, a good customer service level and a restaurant are requirements for us. I recommended the hotel on our cruise roll call

44 minutes ago, JHLH821 said:

we are not travelling until next February and already several room types were sold out. cleanliness, a good customer service level and a restaurant are requirements for us. I recommended the hotel on our cruise roll call

Oh I just realised you said Feb in your original post!  So maybe it's down to me now 😀

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:

It's good to know the hotel is fantastic; we were hopeful it would be as good as it looks.

I've stayed there 9 times and each time I enter the lobby I get instantly happy. The hotel smells so good. 🙂

The hotel is quiet, rooms are clean and spacious with a phenomenal bathroom. 

Great food at Miranda restaurant and a very relaxing way to start off your cruise vacation. 

You can grab a cab or Uber to the Walmart Superstore which isn't too far.

• Like 2

Wow, nine times! That is a serious accolade. You must be lucky enough to cruise a lot.

Seems like I've struck gold - what you described is exactly what is was looking for.

Do you have any other tips or insight regarding either the hotel itself or getting to the cruise port?

We're planning on getting a taxi or maybe trying Uber or Lyft for the first time ever!

17 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:

Is that Flannigan's Seafood Bar & Grill? If so, looks like it's right by a Walmart, so if we feel like venturing out that would be a two in one.

Most likely Flannigan's use to be owned by a family. They expanded and had a great following. They sold when the offer was too good not to. Still a great place, any and all of them.

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2023 at 1:50 PM, Muckyduckway said:

@JHLH821 Glad to have helped in your hotel search. Reviews are a blessing and a curse. Ive lost count of the number of times I've settled on accommodation only to read extremely negative reports. I'm immune to the nit-pickers, but talk of poor cleanliness or uncomfortable beds is off-putting.

I too was happy with the price point for what looks like a lovely hotel. It's probably it's location combined with it being the first of the chain in the US. 

If you are going before October, it would be nice to hear what you thought of it?

we stayed at EB hotel 2 weeks ago and absolutely loved it:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2930782-oasis-april-2-9-2023-a-wonderful-cruise/#comment-65200542

Hubs had a fish plate at the Pollo Tropical, and we had chicken. They have enough non-meat sides to make a full meal out of (fried plantains, rice, beans, fries, etc.). It's literally a one minute walk from the hotel.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 6:50 AM, BoozinCroozin said:

Most likely Flannigan's use to be owned by a family. They expanded and had a great following. They sold when the offer was too good not to. Still a great place, any and all of them.

Flannigan's is an institution where I am.  You have to get a drink in one of the green plastic cups that you can take away with you. 

You'll then look like a true native Floridian.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Flannigan's is an institution where I am.  You have to get a drink in one of the green plastic cups that you can take away with you. 

You'll then look like a true native Floridian.

Is still good,  wish it was still family owned instead of corporate chain. 

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we stayed at EB hotel 2 weeks ago and absolutely loved it:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2930782-oasis-april-2-9-2023-a-wonderful-cruise/#comment-65200542

Hubs had a fish plate at the Pollo Tropical, and we had chicken. They have enough non-meat sides to make a full meal out of (fried plantains, rice, beans, fries, etc.). It's literally a one minute walk from the hotel.

That's good to know, thanks for posting.

• Like 1

Pollo Tropical is pretty good.  Think of it as the fast food equivalent of a regular Cuban restaurant.  Their chicken is good (of course), but I like getting the tropichop bowls.  And definitely a side of plantains (with a couple of limes to squeeze onto them).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Muckyduckway said:

@Itchy&Scratchy Did you have breakfast at the hotel? Would you recommend it?

sorry, we did not have breakfast at all. We usually head straight to the buffet when we board the ship, so we don't usually want to have breakfast, unless we are flying in on the same day.

Some rates include breakfast, but ours didn't. If we wanted breakfast, we would have probably walked over to Burger King, since I am a cheapskate. 🙂

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Haha 1