Book of Kells Reservation Time

I am sailing on the NCL Star and the ship is tendering into Dun Laoghaire at 7 am.  Realistically, how quickly could we get off the ship, take the DART train and make it to Dublin for a tour of the Book of Kells?  We are arriving on a Sunday and we are platinum members so we’ll have priority tender.  I want to reserve ahead of time, but I’m uncertain of which time to pick.  

I’ve read that they aren’t strictly enforcing the ticket times, but I’d like to try to keep it close to actual time as much as possible.

• Thanks 1

What else do you plan on doing while there?  If it were me, I'd book a time around 11:00 am which would allow plenty of time (barring any unforeseen circumstances).  Or even in the afternoon after you've done other things. If you get off the DART in Dublin a lot earlier than that, you can always explore other things first.  If you truly want to do this first, then I would probably book a 10:00 am time slot.  You should be there by 9:00 or even earlier.  But I'd do 10:00 to pad the time a little.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ssawjo said:

So, you do need a reservation to visit the Book of Kells?  I did not know that.  Does anyone know a link to make a reservation?  Greatly appreciated.

Bill

I guess then it has changed since we had a British Isles cruise in 2014. We just got on line before it opened and were among the first to get in.

It is definitely a must see.😊 

From the above website:

“Do I have to book tickets online?

Online booking is strongly recommended for the Book of Kells and entry is timed.”

Sounds like you don’t have to.  But you may or may not get in if if you don’t.  Or you may not get in when you want to. 

15 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

On Sundays the first DART doesn’t leave Dun Laoghaire until 9.18am, arriving in central Dublin just before 9.45. So no point booking anything before 10.00.

True.  Dart is a commuter train so limited service on Sunday. Even Saturdays have a lower service schedule than weekdays. 

I had thought that the mainline train from Rosslare would be through Dun Laoghaire earlier than 09.18hr but my link was for the wrong date! Sorry.

There are buses that leave from the shopping centre, just a few yards up the road from the train station, starting from 08.13hrs.

https://www.transportforireland.ie/plan-a-journey/?name_origin=Dun+Laoghaire%2C+Dun+Laoghaire&nameInfo_origin=51014524&name_destination=Pearse%2C+Pearse+Station&nameInfo_destination=51026157&itdTripDateTimeDepArr=dep&qqueryMacro=true&language=en&useProxFootSearch=on&itdDate=20230313&itdTime=1025&custom_suggestMacro=true&std3_commonMacro=trip&std3_customMacro=true&inclMOT_8=1

Edited by VMax1700

8 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

True.  Dart is a commuter train so limited service on Sunday. But there are other trains serving Dun Laoghaire to Dublin Connolly Station.

Not on a Sunday morning unfortunately. The first train, Dart or otherwise, out of Dun Laoghaire is 9.18.

Edited by gumshoe958

4 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

Not on a Sunday morning unfortunately. The first train, Dart or otherwise, out of Dun Laoghaire is 9.18.

Yes, I got my dates wrong,Sorry.

There is a bus option from the shopping centre. Route 7 or 7a from 8.13 am

@VMax1700thanks so much for the link.  I had been trying to find the schedule, so this super helpful.  I am thinking 11 am may be a safer bet and it works out so we could grab some lunch somewhere after.  We want also want to visit Dublin Castle, take a picture in front of the Temple Bar (not to drink or eat since it's huge tourist trap), and maybe stop at the Guinness Storefront - I'm still not sure about going on the tour or not. 

We too will be in Dublin on a Sunday this summer on our Princess cruise.  Thanks to all for the heads up on the train times.  I will check the Dart website and I also knew there is a bus 7 and 7 A but it takes a bit longer to get to Dublin using those.  Bear in mind as well that this is a tender port and ship tours do get priority on those tenders.  I checked out u tube and there are  quite a few people twho have done walking tours and it is great to see everything in color as people walk along with their go pros and narrate.  We are going to skip the Book of Kells as people are saying that it is overrated.  Pages are turned frequently and you never know what you will get and it is hard to see much with people all around.   A lot of people prefer the manuscripts and ancient bible fragments at the Chester Beatty Library (Free) in the Gardens of the Dublin Castle.    The churches and cathedrals are lovely and worth a photograph as are the various bridges, and the lovely historic architecture all around abounds.  Grafton Street worth a look as well.  Merrion Square, the grounds of Trinity College (minus Book of Kells).  If we make it to Temple Bar (or area) fine, but not necessary for us.  I think it should be a fine day.  

12 hours ago, pink845 said:

If we make it to Temple Bar

If you have concerns about not being able to see the Book of Kells because of 'people all around' then I would forget Temple Bar.  Dirty, over-rated, over-priced Disneyesque version of 'ould Ireland'.