Cancelled shore excursion paid with gift card

groundloop

Our excursion was paid for with a gift card, and then Carnival reversed our itinerary so the excursion had to be canceled because it was on the wrong day.  Why they just didn't switch it to the correct day is a mystery.  In any case, they refused to let us use that money toward another excursion, or put it back on our account to be used elsewhere.  They said their policy is to mail you a new gift card which they said would take 7-10 days.

Fast forward to 2 months later...still no gift card.  This was back when you had to wait 5-6 hours on hold to talk to someone.  It took about 4-5 phone calls, and dozens of hours waiting on hold to receive an EMAIL gift card.  I think it was about 3 months after the cruise before it was finally resolved.  Why they couldn't give it to us while we were on board is beyond me.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Carnival must have a good contract with FedEx. One would think it would be easier to just put the funds back on the old gift card...but I'm sure they know best.

From what I understand, Carnival's gift card system doesn't allow refunds to go back on old gift cards.

Now, why they don't use e-cards for all refunds, instead of a mix of both, is a different question. You'd think using ecards for refunds would save them the shipping money.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

From what I understand, Carnival's gift card system doesn't allow refunds to go back on old gift cards.

Now, why they don't use e-cards for all refunds, instead of a mix of both, is a different question. You'd think using ecards for refunds would save them the shipping money.

Yeah, if they can't reverse a transaction and put funds back on a gift card then just emailing the customer an e-card would make sense.

I had cancelled an excursion that was paid with a gift card.  I had received an email explaining that it would be refunded with a new card, but to be patient.  Well, it never came.  I called in and spoke with customer service.  There seemed to be some issues, and I now have a "Carnival Case Number" and they are working on it.  I am giving them some time to look into it further, but assume I will need to call back and track it down again.  The whole experience will make me think twice about using these again.

• Like 1