From Yacht Club back to Bella! Is there any going back?! Live review MSC Virtuosa 17-24th March.

ConnieTact

I have an observation about having men cleaners in the ladies toilets! I’m not sure why there seem to be no women cleaners for this task. I am sure I am not the only one to feel uncomfortable with a man following me into a toilet or to discover one already in there!

I wish, at the least, MSC would use a notice to say ‘Male cleaner on duty’ or the like. This would give guests the choice whether to go in or wait. 

Better still, get more women onboard for the task! 

• Like 2

We have been very happy with our cabin steward Kishor. He has been super efficient, never disturbed us but cleaned the room around the times that we were out. He sorted smelly drain/sink - twice! Then, even put a aromatherapy diffuser in the bathroom! 

I mentioned I found the bed hard and hadn’t slept well and he straight away put an additional mattress topper on for that night and I have slept like a baby ever since! 

Honestly, due to such great service in our room, I have not missed butler service in YC. 

The only thing is, I need to remember to get my own bottles of water to take to the room each night. In the YC, I have several large bottles to hand!

Maybe we will see Kishor in YC as an assistant butler one day soon? He certainly would be perfectly suitable for that role. 

While I am in the subject of room cleaning, our other fave company is NCL who have recently stopped a twice a day room service, (unless in top end Haven) to just once a day. I absolutely love that MSC haven’t done this, and even Bella can get the same service as those in YC. 

Well done MSC!

54969A4C-DD5F-4D71-9E0A-4D167F17DE96.jpeg

35E7DE4E-E6C8-4E76-961B-488FDC9877D0.jpeg

The highlight of my last nite onboard had to be Dario in Masters of the Sea singing and playing a different Paolo Nutini song! He did it proud and I was thrilled to bits to hear one of my favourite songs and I was left grateful and very, very happy! 

Better still, as we were one of the last few stragglers left in the pub-when he announced it was the last song- we asked for the aptly named-‘Last Request’ by Paolo. 

I danced with MrCT and we sang along too. It’s a beautiful song and means a lot to us both. A special moment 🥰

Thank you Dario- you’re a star! See you on the Europa in January next year! F4218324-4EA7-442D-B9CD-4A6B9B886090.thumb.jpeg.f3fd43f51b6e0089b0fe6ce20b92efc3.jpeg

7A19FB67-7A33-4124-A046-E9B0C778511A.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

We have been very happy with our cabin steward Kishor. He has been super efficient, never disturbed us but cleaned the room around the times that we were out. He sorted smelly drain/sink - twice! Then, even put a aromatherapy diffuser in the bathroom! 

I mentioned I found the bed hard and hadn’t slept well and he straight away put an additional mattress topper on for that night and I have slept like a baby ever since! 

Honestly, due to such great service in our room, I have not missed butler service in YC. 

The only thing is, I need to remember to get my own bottles of water to take to the room each night. In the YC, I have several large bottles to hand!

Maybe we will see Kishor in YC as an assistant butler one day soon? He certainly would be perfectly suitable for that role. 

While I am in the subject of room cleaning, our other fave company is NCL who have recently stopped a twice a day room service, (unless in top end Haven) to just once a day. I absolutely love that MSC haven’t done this, and even Bella can get the same service as those in YC. 

Well done MSC!

54969A4C-DD5F-4D71-9E0A-4D167F17DE96.jpeg

35E7DE4E-E6C8-4E76-961B-488FDC9877D0.jpeg

I was just about to ask you if MSC are still doing twice a day cabin service then I saw your comment.😁

Apparently RCL have recently switched to once a day too( as well as increasing gratuities). Pleased to hear this is not the case on MSC, hope they keep it this way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

Just pulling into port. Good Morning Fred! 

F9652BC5-2293-4C2D-8DCD-6F465F5B7500.jpeg

70EFB207-44FD-4B4C-BC14-3488275E5FED.jpeg

When only Virtuosa is in on a Friday they have not always opened dock gate8 this fred at City terminal it is open.
That gives a better walk into town for those on a port day or onto the ship for those  staying in a few of the hotels  like HI,Grand Moxi,PE,TL.

Welcome back enjoyed following along.

We are going to keep an eye on next years and if nothing better comes up  slip one or two of these in again they work well even if the weather does not cooperate.
Holding out for a deal on the Jan 21 night option.

Cheapest(7n)  2/2/24   MSC want 499,  drinks are reasonable at 100/120 depending on week.
Cheapest IB with drinks was at £530 a week ago when the 15% was around with a few weeks at £550, 

Discounting I am seeing is currently under 10% so not that great.

Cheapest I saw this year with drinks was £470 as a benchmark

YCI starting at around £1100, if they have one, some week are no longer available but were a month ago..

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kernow said:

I was just about to ask you if MSC are still doing twice a day cabin service then I saw your comment.😁

Apparently RCL have recently switched to once a day too( as well as increasing gratuities). Pleased to hear this is not the case on MSC, hope they keep it this way.

P&O worked out if the cabin stewards only do one cabin service in the morning  they can work the bars and restaurants. 

• Like 1

ConnieTact, thanks for your updates and photos.   

Makes my return to Virtuosa all the closer.   YC would be a waste on me, as teetotal, wouldn't use butler and not keen on the high/ forward position of YC cabins (I'm a mid-ship, middle deck kind of passenger), but pleased to hear for the majority, you've enjoyed Virtuosa outside of it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

ConnieTact, thanks for your updates and photos.   

Makes my return to Virtuosa all the closer.   YC would be a waste on me, as teetotal, wouldn't use butler and not keen on the high/ forward position of YC cabins (I'm a mid-ship, middle deck kind of passenger), but pleased to hear for the majority, you've enjoyed Virtuosa outside of it.

I really did and although the sea was smooth all week, if it wasn’t our midship balcony certainly would have been better than being high up at the front! 
Another bonus of non YC!

I loved our room 12258 as it was right near the main set of lifts aft of the ship.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for sharing your cruise experience here, CT.   Sounds like you didn’t miss YC too much (which has always been our experience when not in YC).  So, the verdict.  Would you go non-YC again, or did you feel that, despite enjoying steerage, YC is more of a must?  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Thank you so much for sharing your cruise experience here, CT.   Sounds like you didn’t miss YC too much (which has always been our experience when not in YC).  So, the verdict.  Would you go non-YC again, or did you feel that, despite enjoying steerage, YC is more of a must?  

That’s the million dollar question!

I will absolutely do the same again in a heartbeat if a similar offer arises.

Our next MSC cruise is back on the Virtuosa in October when she repositions. We are booked in YC! Maybe I’ll have to feedback again what I think.

For the savings on price, this was an excellent extra break, made all the more exciting to be booked with just a week to go!

We are also booked on Europa in January but the next cruise, coming up is on NCL Star in May.

Thank you for following along!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

Cat looks like he / she's plotting something to make up for not being taken on holiday.

He already committed the crime! He caught and brought in the house a pigeon when we were away! Our cleaner had to deal with the carnage! She’s getting paid extra for that! 😿😅

Naughty Ziggy! 

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2023 at 12:45 PM, ConnieTact said:

Just had announcement from captain. Looks like we aren’t going to Le Harve or alternative of Amsterdam due to winds. 

We can’t do extra day in Rotterdam as Prima will be using same dock so we’ll be returning to Zebrugge! 

Hopefully all can get transport to and from their destinations with not too much hassle. As long as there is champagne flowing- I guess we’ll stay happy! Cruising! So much better than working! 😂 🥂Cheers! 

Enjoying your report!  When something like this happens, does the cruise

line cover any difference in fare?

24 minutes ago, MAsquared said:

Enjoying your report!  When something like this happens, does the cruise

line cover any difference in fare?

No, as it’s not their fault. The French were striking against changes to pensions and was out of the control of MSC. The master made the decision we could do Amsterdam as winds were due to be high and that’s completely his call. What captain says goes. The same on any ship I guess- I know NCL say this too.

Although some people were disappointed to miss Honfleur & Paris-  we were happy to enjoy another day of rest enjoying relaxing on the ship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, insidecabin said:

As much as we like YC we look for B2B to stretch the cash.

Week doing the ship/ports  week chilling.

Those Star round Ireland are on our list missed a deal window when we on Virtuosa.

Oh great! We may meet up onboard one day if prices drop again. B2B sounds good. We would probably do a few ports with a few rest days too each week. As you indicated we could get two weeks for the price of one in YC if the deal was right! 

19 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Thanka for letting us all follow along and answering questions. Glad you had a good cruise and got back safe. We board a week tomorrow, so fingers crossed the strikes in france and germany finish. But still a week away 👍

Have a fantastic cruise @FamilyCruiserUK Are you going in YC- sorry if you have already told me! I’m still not feeling 100%! 
Whatever experience- I am sure you’ll enjoy the break. 
I hope you get to do the port stops you want to as well. 

5 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Since COVID, we are having more difficulties to accept the crowds that the non Yacht Club experience means. Tables too close to each other in the main dining room. Even on those cases in which the ship is not full, dining feels so crowded because MSC does not open up all areas in the restaurant. They keep us very close together. The only time we got COVID on a ship, was on MSC, sailing on a balcony cabin fantastica. Fortunately it was immediately after disembarking and not in the middle of the cruise.

Ivi