8 Tips for the Bergen to Oslo Train Trip

SempreMare

We did this on our own last April after the Trade Routes cruise and it’s truly wonderful. The left side traveling towards Oslo definitely has better views, I had also read that the right side was better and booked our seats as such. But as noted by the OP, moving around from side to side is not an issue.
Our only issue was the train was over 90 minutes late in leaving Bergen which caused us to miss our flight out of Oslo to Sweden. This August prior to our British Isle cruise, we will fly into Bergen four days early and take the train to Flam, spend two night there, and then take either the train or ferry back to Bergen for the start of the cruise. 

• Like 2

On 3/20/2023 at 10:19 AM, SempreMare said:

I learned that Viking blocks photo uploads to help prioritize WiFi for ship purposes.  Totally understandable. 

With all respect, I don't believe that to be the case. Apple's iCloud services use standard mail ports (the "pipes" that Internet data flows through) for email (25, 469, 587), but for photos, text messages, bookmarks, it uses port 443, which is a standard port used by web browsers for secure websites (like Amazon or any site that takes credit cards). In order for Viking to block iCloud from syncing photos, they would also have to block virtually every website that uses a secure connection (shown by the little padlock you see in the address bar), and they don't do that. iCloud does use another type of port as well, but it's not the same type, and can't be blocked like a TCP port can (descending into nerdspeak).

On our last 2 cruises I took hundreds of photos on my iPhone 14 Pro, some of which were from the ship. I always saw them on my laptop, which meant they were uploaded to iCloud. Like you, I would have been really nervous about it if I hadn't, because a backup is essential when you're using a device like a smartphone.

However, the wifi speed on recent cruises (this was more than 8 months ago) was abysmal, so sometimes it took quite a while for my photos to appear on my laptop. Whenever we were close to land, I used my iPhone as a hotspot, which was always faster than using the onboard wifi. I'm hoping that we see a difference on our next ocean cruise, which is a year from now, since they're implementing the Starling system. 

I haven't tried to use Skype or Zoom onboard a ship, but since they both use specific ports, it's likely that Viking blocks the ports that these two services require, since these 2 services gobble tons of bandwidth.

• Like 1

Back to the train...  I'm planning on Bergen-Voss-Gudvangen-Flam-Myrdal-Bergen.  I know for example that I can book Flam to Bergen but I would prefer to book separate tickets to allow a bit more time in between.  Is there any reason why this wouldn't be a good option?

4 minutes ago, ericosmith said:

Back to the train...  I'm planning on Bergen-Voss-Gudvangen-Flam-Myrdal-Bergen.  I know for example that I can book Flam to Bergen but I would prefer to book separate tickets to allow a bit more time in between.  Is there any reason why this wouldn't be a good option?

My husband and I traveled Bergen-Myrdal-Flam-Gudvangen-Voss-Bergen last year, and it was a very long, but wonderful day.  To have more time in between, I believe you would need to spend the night in Flam, which wouldn't be a bad idea.  You can get an idea of timing and options on the Norway in a Nutshell website.  You could then book with them or book your own separate tickets.

I just finished updating my blog about our trip in case you'd like to read about our experience.

https://stramblingchronicles.blogspot.com/2022/06/norway-in-nutshell-part-i.html

https://stramblingchronicles.blogspot.com/2022/06/norway-in-nutshell-part-ii.html

https://stramblingchronicles.blogspot.com/2022/06/norway-in-nutshell-part-iii.html

https://stramblingchronicles.blogspot.com/2022/06/norway-in-nutshell-part-iv.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, purpleally said:

While I realize there is a table in Plus, I had read the seats are more comfortable. Yes?

I was wondering this as well. 

That being said, I found the regular seats very comfortable and with a lot of legroom.

I literally can't recall anything to complain about related to the regular seats.

It looks like the USB charging port or plug on the Plus seats are easier to reach.

Pics show its located to the side of the Plus seat

vs

what my pics in the topic starter show for the regular carriage (near your feet between the 2 seats in front of you.  Similar to a flight I took for a work trip from Hong Kong to Singapore.) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ericosmith said:

2 hours ago, Kountess said:

My husband and I traveled Bergen-Myrdal-Flam-Gudvangen-Voss-Bergen last year, and it was a very long, but wonderful day.  To have more time in between, I believe you would need to spend the night in Flam, which wouldn't be a bad idea.  You can get an idea of timing and options on the Norway in a Nutshell website.  You could then book with them or book your own separate tickets.

I just finished updating my blog about our trip in case you'd like to read about our experience.

https://stramblingchronicles.blogspot.com/2022/06/norway-in-nutshell-part-i.html

https://stramblingchronicles.blogspot.com/2022/06/norway-in-nutshell-part-ii.html

https://stramblingchronicles.blogspot.com/2022/06/norway-in-nutshell-part-iii.html

https://stramblingchronicles.blogspot.com/2022/06/norway-in-nutshell-part-iv.html

FYI

When I looked (a month or more ago) at doing this routing and spending a night somewhere along the way (as opposed to arriving in Oslo at 11pm or so), I was unable to find accommodations (hotels and Airbnb) close to the stations with availability. Most places said a car was needed. 

YMMV

2 hours ago, purpleally said:

While I realize there is a table in Plus, I had read the seats are more comfortable. Yes?

32 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

I was wondering this as well. 

That being said, I found the regular seats very comfortable and with a lot of legroom.

I literally can't recall anything to complain about related to the regular seats.

It looks like the USB charging port or plug on the Plus seats are easier to reach.

Pics show its located to the side of the Plus seat

vs

what my pics in the topic starter show for the regular carriage (near your feet between the 2 seats in front of you.  Similar to a flight I took for a work trip from Hong Kong to Singapore.) 

Their website touts the new headrest….if that, the unwanted table, and free coffee are the only benefits methinks we will stick with standard.  

Hoping someone who has traveled in both classes will weigh in🤞

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Their website touts the new headrest….if that, the unwanted table, and free coffee are the only benefits methinks we will stick with standard.  

Hoping someone who has traveled in both classes will weigh in🤞

I liked Comfort Class when I had luggage with me….more room to store it. Also the car was either at the beginning or end of the train so people weren’t constantly passing thru. Standard is just fine, but may be super crowded, especially in the summer.

I was on the Viking extension train ride; I have no idea what class that was.  The seats reminded me of domestic airline coach seats in that they were basic and not very cushy.  There was lots of leg room and they were wider than coach seats.  They were dirty, crumbs down in the crack between the back and the seat.  There wasn't a window by every seat.  We weren't uncomfortable, but I expected more like Amtrak long distance seats and less like airline seats. 

The seats in the car aren't lined up with the windows.  Some had great views (which we had) and some seats had the space between windows next to them.  The car was not just Viking people; we were mixed in with normal commuters.  Maybe Viking only reserves the seats next to windows.  This is a commuter train, not a tourist train.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, janetcbl said:

I liked Comfort Class when I had luggage with me….more room to store it. Also the car was either at the beginning or end of the train so people weren’t constantly passing thru. Standard is just fine, but may be super crowded, especially in the summer.

Hadn’t thought about people passing through, you’re right it appears from my test bookings that Comfort is always Car 1.

Decisions, Decisions 🤔

40 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Hadn’t thought about people passing through, you’re right it appears from my test bookings that Comfort is always Car 1.

Decisions, Decisions 🤔

Hi Clay, would you be able to post the seating map for Car 1?  As mentioned above, I'm not able to access the seating map or change our seats.  TIA!

• Like 1

I booked our May tickets from Bergen to Oslo on Vy. I heeded the warning not to use a site called Ninja something….which if you Google to get tickets on your own, will pop up. Be sure to go directly to the Vy site. Warning: when booking online, you must pay with PayPal if from US. They do not take US credit cards. I’d sent a very friendly email in advance, to the Bergen station info line, asking about side of train, needing leg room etc. Wonderful personable email back: Bergen to Oslo, left stride of train for better views, and suggesting the seat numbers to reserve with best view in Plus car. The person indicated they’d taken this train very often, and these seats were the best. And yes, on the diagram provided by Vy online, the blue lines beside the seat represent a wall. If there’s no blue line, that’s the window. You can therefore easily see which seats have more and easily accessible windows. I should add, this is in Plus, not standard. Don’t know if seating diagram is similar in standard. Also, you’ll see direction train is going in diagram, and direction seat is facing. I always prefer facing forward so this was important to me. There are a few seats in Plus that do not face seats in pairings of four with table in between. These book quickly. 
As far as I know, for those on the Viking extension, you’ll be in standard seats. No Plus option. Plus provides coffee and tea and I believe, more comfortable seats. I purchased senior price tickets online. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, happyyaya said:

Warning: when booking online, you must pay with PayPal if from US. They do not take US credit cards.

14 minutes ago, happyyaya said:

on the diagram provided by Vy online, the blue lines beside the seat represent a wall. If there’s no blue line, that’s the window.

14 minutes ago, happyyaya said:

There are a few seats in Plus that do not face seats in pairings of four with table in between. These book quickly. 

This thread just keeps getting better and better with more and more specific tips, hints and warnings.

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!

• Like 2

Here’s the diagram of Car 1 which is the Plus reservation. You can see direction of the train car going from Bergen to Oslo (read my previous comment), blue lines indicating wall (no blue line means window), direction seats are facing, seat groupings of four (2 facing front, 2 facing back, and table between), and you can see the few that are only 2 seats facing forward. We were advised to reserve seats 29 and 30 which I did. Hope this helps everyone. Again, I did this on our own; not as a Viking extension. Standard car diagrams will look different from this. Also, this is a commuter train - not only catering to Viking. We will stay one night in Bergen after we get off the ship. Explore Bergen more after we disembark. Next morning take train and then spend 3 days in Oslo. Made our own hotel and restaurant reservations after lots of fun research. IE already purchased our funicular tickets for Bergen: only have to pick a date. Tickets are good for the entire day. 

B7448630-E6C4-4432-BF2B-E514BB62E4BC.png

A717904D-0923-4AA2-A4E1-D21A144F81C5.png

6C229020-EE5B-4798-A750-2ACEEC458C40.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Moonlion said:

Hi Clay, would you be able to post the seating map for Car 1?  As mentioned above, I'm not able to access the seating map or change our seats.  TIA!

1BA39AA7-E938-444E-BE57-C8B58BF5BDB9.png

96784E7D-2C72-4DC2-A254-1BC400719DE0.png

41D6FA9D-6CA3-435C-9CE7-2E8DA7BA69CB.png

6725526A-00C6-495F-B864-3D0137E2593D.png

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, happyyaya said:

Here’s the diagram of Car 1 which is the Plus reservation. You can see direction of the train car going from Bergen to Oslo (read my previous comment), blue lines indicating wall (no blue line means window), direction seats are facing, seat groupings of four (2 facing front, 2 facing back, and table between), and you can see the few that are only 2 seats facing forward. We were advised to reserve seats 29 and 30 which I did. Hope this helps everyone. Again, I did this on our own; not as a Viking extension. Standard car diagrams will look different from this. Also, this is a commuter train - not only catering to Viking. We will stay one night in Bergen after we get off the ship. Explore Bergen more after we disembark. Next morning take train and then spend 3 days in Oslo. Made our own hotel and restaurant reservations after lots of fun research. IE already purchased our funicular tickets for Bergen: only have to pick a date. Tickets are good for the entire day. 

B7448630-E6C4-4432-BF2B-E514BB62E4BC.png

A717904D-0923-4AA2-A4E1-D21A144F81C5.png

6C229020-EE5B-4798-A750-2ACEEC458C40.png

Thanks for posting the seat map!!! We had been automatically assigned seats 3,4 in Car 1 on the 08:14 departure time (Bergen to Oslo)  Looking at the map you posted, these seats are directly in front of the WC and across from the luggage rack which could block views on that side 😬.  I tried logging into vy.no again today to see if the "change seat" link was available... but again to no avail.  So, I clicked on "Change Journey" and requested the 11:43 departure for the same day.  This time, the select seat option and seat map showed up!  I booked seats 29, 30 on the left side of train.  I was going to try going back to the 08:14 departure (hoping the "select seat" option would be available again) but my husband prefers leaving later and not having to rush out of our hotel so early in the morning.  Thanks for the advice on best seats!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Snowcat1 said:

I already have my ticket booked. Is there any way I can change my seats without cancelling the tickets and starting over?

Since I never had the "select seats" or "change seat" option in my booking, the only way I could change seats was by clicking the "Change my Journey" link and going through the entire process with another departure time (on the same day).  The vy.no website has a lot of glitches. 

If you're booking by yourself on the Vy site, Bergen to Oslo, you first fill out from where to where (Bergen to Oslo on my part), date, approximate time of day (drop box to put in time), how many passengers (senior, adult ect), then apply. Next you get choice of refundable, etc. Next you get choice of Plus....then comes your reservation that includes date, time, seats assigned and there's a SMALL box/rectangle at the bottom of that page that says "change seats" - you can easily miss it. Click on that....then pick your seats from the diagram and what's available. Once you've done that it will confirm all the info and the seats you've chosen and the cost. If you miss that step, when they give you the seats, and go further in the process....it sounds like it's night to impossible to change your seats. Remember that doing this online from the US you'll have to pay with PayPal. If you miss that little box (that says change seats) in the beginning when they assign your seats, and go further than that, then it looks like it's VERY difficult to change seats once they've gone into the system. You can always call the Vy station at Bergen - they all speak excellent English - and ask personally for their help. 

I don't thing you have any choice on seats if you do it through Viking.

Edited by happyyaya
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Moonlion said:

I was going to try going back to the 08:14 departure (hoping the "select seat" option would be available again) but my husband prefers leaving later and not having to rush out of our hotel so early in the morning. 

I think that's a great idea.  

• The 8am departure made for a very early morning after a late night of packing to depart and taking in all possible activities the day before till too late 🙂
  • You'll be more alert to take in the vistas through the window after more sleep
  • Less stress over time deadlines
  • Ticket costs less
  • Mid-day travel early on means pictures of the best sights with less side-to-side sun glare and shadows

On the bad, the published journey timetable takes ~30 min more.
Edited by SempreMare
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SempreMare said:

I think that's a great idea.  

• The 8am departure made for a very early morning after a late night of packing to depart and taking in all possible activities the day before till too late 🙂
  • You'll be more alert to take in the vistas through the window after more sleep
  • Less stress over time deadlines
  • Ticket costs less
  • Mid-day travel early on means pictures of the best sights with less side-to-side sun glare and shadows

On the bad, the published journey timetable takes ~30 min more.

And you don’t get to Oslo until late evening. 

• Like 1