Is it possible to disembark at an earlier port in Europe?

KKB

I am on the Preziosa cruising Norway in May.

I just received an offer for a free Europe cruise on Celebrity & would need to disembark before the final disembarkation day to do so.

I am wondering if this is even possible--perhaps it is not, but thought I would ask.

Thanks so much

Answer: YES

(I called...was super quick)

I simply go to Guest Services on Embarkation day & fill out a form.

No refunds for days not sailed. (fair)

This is correct and I'm surprised that someone via a phone call actually gave you the answer, lol.

We did a Kiel-Kiel cruise a couple years ago but disembarked the ship in Tallin, Estonia. As you mentioned, you do have to "check-out" at the Reception desk the day you wish to permanently leave the ship and you sign a form that says you're doing this as your own decision and acknowledging no refund for the missed days. Your onboard account is then closed. You do save however many days of automatic gratuities since you're not onboard any longer. It wouldn't hurt to check with Reception a day earlier to advise them in advance and make sure nothing else is needed from you.

14 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

This is correct and I'm surprised that someone via a phone call actually gave you the answer, lol.

Oh, so am I!!

I will say, I have called MSC 3 times & every time my questions were answered correctly & my needs taken care of properly. 2/3 calls were quick processes. The other was a bit lengthy, but they kept touching base with my while I was on hold assuring me all was being taken care of.

Honestly, I find MSC phone customer service to be superior to what I encountered on the ship. (it wasn't horrid...just not quite as good)

You also will want to check requirements for the country in which you intend to disembark as your "yes" from MSC only means that it is OK with them, not necessarily with the country itself. Some countries do not require visas for cruise passengers since you are only a "day visitor" stopping in for a few hours. However, the fact that you intend to permanently disembark in their country could change the requirements for the visa.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2023 at 2:45 PM, KKB said:

I just received an offer for a free Europe cruise on Celebrity & would need to disembark before the final disembarkation day to do so.

I am wondering if this is even possible--perhaps it is not, but thought I would ask.

Thanks so much

Also...I tried to look at your cruise to see where you might disembark early. You say Preziosa in your post, but your signature says "MSC Poesia" for May.

8 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Also...I tried to look at your cruise to see where you might disembark early. You say Preziosa in your post, but your signature says "MSC Poesia" for May.

Poesia is doing Baltic 

Preziosa does Norway

Looks like17 May 2023  ( the one before is UK and one after iceland)

Wednesday, May 17    Hamburg, Germany        7:00pm
Thursday, May 18    At Sea        
Friday, May 19    Maloy, Norway    9:00am    6:00pm
Saturday, May 20    Molde, Norway    8:00am    7:00pm
Sunday, May 21    Trondheim, Norway    7:00am    5:00pm
Monday, May 22    At Sea        
Tuesday, May 23    Honningsvag, Norway    Noon    
Wednesday, May 24    Honningsvag, Norway        1:00am
Wednesday, May 24    Tromso, Norway    1:00pm    8:00pm
Thursday, May 25    At Sea        
Friday, May 26    Alesund, Norway    11:00pm    7:00pm
Saturday, May 27    At Sea        
Sunday, May 28    Hamburg, Germany    8:00am

37 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Poesia is doing Baltic 

Preziosa does Norway

Looks like17 May 2023  ( the one before is UK and one after iceland)

Wednesday, May 17    Hamburg, Germany        7:00pm
Thursday, May 18    At Sea        
Friday, May 19    Maloy, Norway    9:00am    6:00pm
Saturday, May 20    Molde, Norway    8:00am    7:00pm
Sunday, May 21    Trondheim, Norway    7:00am    5:00pm
Monday, May 22    At Sea        
Tuesday, May 23    Honningsvag, Norway    Noon    
Wednesday, May 24    Honningsvag, Norway        1:00am
Wednesday, May 24    Tromso, Norway    1:00pm    8:00pm
Thursday, May 25    At Sea        
Friday, May 26    Alesund, Norway    11:00pm    7:00pm
Saturday, May 27    At Sea        
Sunday, May 28    Hamburg, Germany    8:00am

Yet the OP's signature says Poesia in May, not Preziosa and it also says they are sailing on May 11th...which is not a sail date for either ship. 

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

Yet the OP's signature says Poesia in May, not Preziosa and it also says they are sailing on May 11th...which is not a sail date for either ship. 

OOPS--thx for catching that!

10 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Don't do sigs.

Roll calls suggest Presioza Norway on a B2B. 

Edited by insidecabin

5 hours ago, insidecabin said:

Don't do sigs.

Roll calls suggest Presioza Norway on a B2B. 

I don't see how it matters that YOU "don't do sigs"....the thing is that the OP DOES and my comment was on the conflict in information there (the ship was different (since corrected by the OP...with appreciation in post #10) and the sail date given is NOT a sail date for either ship). 

JMHO, but if you choose not to "do sigs" (a perfectly fine choice, btw) then perhaps you should consider that this leaves you somewhat less informed when the post you're quoting specifically refers to information contained in a sig.

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

I don't see how it matters that YOU "don't do sigs"....the thing is that the OP DOES and my comment was on the conflict in information there (the ship was different (since corrected by the OP...with appreciation in post #10) and the sail date given is NOT a sail date for either ship). 

JMHO, but if you choose not to "do sigs" (a perfectly fine choice, btw) then perhaps you should consider that this leaves you somewhat less informed when the post you're quoting specifically refers to information contained in a sig.

As I don't do sigs i would not see that omission and I was explaining why

Other resources are available,

of course in this case the post was referring to something that was not specificaly contained in the sig(as it was wrong).

The op had put Norway which was the big clue as I posted earlier

backed up by the roll calls which alos confirm the B2B.

Just pointing out that even with the OOD sig it was possible to find the correct cruise(s).

1 minute ago, insidecabin said:

As I don't do sigs i would not see that omission and I was explaining why

Other resources are available,

of course in this case the post was referring to something that was not specificaly contained in the sig(as it was wrong).

The op had put Norway which was the big clue as I posted earlier

backed up by the roll calls which alos confirm the B2B.

Just pointing out that even with the OOD sig it was possible to find the correct cruise(s).

No need to explain why given that an explanation wasn't requested. My post simply pointed out information to, and for, the OP, I wasn't seeking information from the OP or anyone else.

That aside, you really can't say you have the correct cruise as the OP says they are sailing on the May 11th cruise, this has been mentioned to the OP and they have NOT corrected or changed it, and there is no May 11th sailing of either ship in question. However, once again, this is an issue for the OP to resolve if they wish, I really don't need to know. Perhaps you should continue your discussion with the OP?

7 hours ago, SeaShark said:

No need to explain why given that an explanation wasn't requested. My post simply pointed out information to, and for, the OP, I wasn't seeking information from the OP or anyone else.

That aside, you really can't say you have the correct cruise as the OP says they are sailing on the May 11th cruise, this has been mentioned to the OP and they have NOT corrected or changed it, and there is no May 11th sailing of either ship in question. However, once again, this is an issue for the OP to resolve if they wish, I really don't need to know. Perhaps you should continue your discussion with the OP?

Note my response #10--I HAVE corrected it in my signature (unable to in past posts).

I am on Preziosa Nov 17 Norway--NOT THAT IT MATTERS.

It is truly irrelevant WHAT ship/date I am on.

Rather stunned that there were several posts regarding this...simple error of ship name made on my signature. 

Edited by KKB

3 hours ago, KKB said:

Note my response #10--I HAVE corrected it in my signature (unable to in past posts).

I am on Preziosa Nov 17 Norway--NOT THAT IT MATTERS.

It is truly irrelevant WHAT ship/date I am on.

Rather stunned that there were several posts regarding this...simple error of ship name made on my signature. 

You corrected the ship name as stated, but it still reads 28–5/11-21 MSC Preziosa UK+Norway (10+11)  INT SOLO

5/11-21? This is not 5/17.

And it matters in that we'd need to know the specific sailing to then identify the specific Port to then determine what, if any, visa requirements exist for a disembarkation. Anything but truly irrelevant.

17 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

You corrected the ship name as stated, but it still reads 28–5/11-21 MSC Preziosa UK+Norway (10+11)  INT SOLO

5/11-21? This is not 5/17.

And it matters in that we'd need to know the specific sailing to then identify the specific Port to then determine what, if any, visa requirements exist for a disembarkation. Anything but truly irrelevant.

Cripes another typo.🙄

Curious—where does anyone need a visa Europe? (To visit)

Edited by KKB

1 hour ago, KKB said:

Curious—where does anyone need a visa Europe? (To visit)

That is the important question, no? Better to find out now than to get there and learn you can't disembark. Wouldn't you agree?

Additionally, laws change all the time...best to research and be prepared.

Starting in 2023 Travel to Europe Will Require an Extra Step
A new screening process will affect citizens from over 60 countries

In mid-to-late 2023, U.S. citizens and nationals of over 60 other countries will need an electronic travel authorization to visit much of Europe.

Travelers to any Schengen-zone country will have to register with a European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS). ETIAS will be similar to the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) already used in the United States.

How will it work?
Most travelers have no need to worry. The process will involve a quick online application and a €7.00 credit card payment. According to the European Commission, “ETIAS will be a simple, fast and visitor-friendly system, which will, in more than 95% of cases, result in a positive answer within a few minutes.”

The authorization will be valid for unlimited entries within a three-year period - or until the date of the applicant’s passport expiry, whichever is sooner - so travelers who frequent Europe won’t need to apply every time. Without a visa (ETIAS is not a visa), U.S. citizens will still need to limit their travel to 90 days within any 180-day period (the current limit). Those seeking to travel for purposes such as work or study will still require a visa.

If I’m traveling to Europe, when should I apply for ETIAS authorization?
Until 2023, ETIAS authorization will not be required. Once it goes into effect travelers should be able to obtain the authorization online within minutes, in most cases. Of course it’s better not to wait until the last minute. In rare cases applicants may be asked for additional information, which could take a few days or longer to process.

Which countries does this apply to?
ETIAS authorization will be needed for travel to any country that is part of the Schengen Borders Agreement, as well as countries that are European Free Trade Association (EFTA) Members, European Microstates With Open Borders, as well as Future Schengen Members (“Home ETIAS Countries”). This includes: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

I’m not a U.S. citizen. Will this affect me?
ETIAS will apply to anyone who travels visa-free to the Schengen area. This includes nationals of over 60 countries. More information can be found within the European Commission’s press release regarding ETIAS.

If you need to get of before Hamburg have you checked the logistics of each previous port to get to where you need to be for the other cruise?

Some are not straight forward but we don't know where you need to go.

You can ignore the ETIES for this year it's pushed back to 2024 and will probably get pushed back again.

Originally it was supposed to be in place 2021.

On 3/21/2023 at 1:45 PM, KKB said:

Thanks so much

Kingbob of the north explained it well. Just to add to that. MSC calls the request "A break in Voyage" form. One thing to note when I did it we were told that once we left the ship we would not be able to return. So just ask about that in case you were planning on leaving for a few hours for a walk about or an excursion on the morning of disembarkition & then returning to the ship to grab your luggage. That may not be possible but I would get clarification from the front desk on that as each port may have its own rules. Enjoy your trip.

1 hour ago, Cruisernat said:

Kingbob of the north explained it well. Just to add to that. MSC calls the request "A break in Voyage" form. One thing to note when I did it we were told that once we left the ship we would not be able to return. So just ask about that in case you were planning on leaving for a few hours for a walk about or an excursion on the morning of disembarkition & then returning to the ship to grab your luggage. That may not be possible but I would get clarification from the front desk on that as each port may have its own rules. Enjoy your trip.

Yes, that is my understanding as well.

Thanks

9 hours ago, insidecabin said:

If you need to get of before Hamburg have you checked the logistics of each previous port to get to where you need to be for the other cruise?

Some are not straight forward but we don't know where you need to go.

You can ignore the ETIES for this year it's pushed back to 2024 and will probably get pushed back again.

Originally it was supposed to be in place 2021.

Yes I've already checked transfers to the airport at the port as well as flights to my next embarkation point.

Yes I had seen info on ETIES & realized it is still on hold. 

Thanks

2 minutes ago, KKB said:

Yes I've already checked transfers to the airport at the port as well as flights to my next embarkation point.

Yes I had seen info on ETIES & realized it is still on hold. 

Thanks

Cruise is fully Schengen Embark Germany disembark Norway should be ok if they will let you off.

although not relevant to this cruise...

The big change in Europe has been with UK border force they are insisting on face to face with  anyone that embarks at a non UK port.

2 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Cruise is fully Schengen Embark Germany disembark Norway should be ok if they will let you off.

although not relevant to this cruise...

The big change in Europe has been with UK border force they are insisting on face to face with  anyone that embarks at a non UK port.

Interesting. My 1st 10 days are Ireland & Scotland, via Hamburg. 

Will that be the case here? (not concerned, just curious)