P&O cruise excursion to Loen skylift

meast1984

In short is there a cheaper transport alternative to get from the dock in Olden to Loen Skylift? I can currently purchase tickets for the Skylift direct from their website for around  £35 per person. However P&O and the linked tour operator are currently charging £80 for Skylift tickets  and transport there. £45 for a 6 mile round trip is extortionate!

I researched this for a cruise that was cancelled due to Covid, and if I recall correctly, there’s a bus from Olden to the Cable car and you can buy a ticket that includes the Sky Lift. Worth a bit of Googling. Failing that I would think that a cab would be far cheaper than a P&O excursion (if such things exist in Olden)!

15 minutes ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

True and the page you are sent to for the Bus/ Ticket is £85.

Even found one company charging £104 for Bus/Ticket.

Blimey. Apparently is an 80 minute walk each way. Could be an option for the fit. Not much else to do in Olden 😂 

The skylift capacity is 35 people per car and 2 cars operate, one going as one is going down. Capacity is 350 people per hour each way. When we were there last year there was a large ship tendering to Loen.

I wonder if taking a P&O excursion guarantees up and down timed slots?

Edited by davecttr

4 hours ago, meast1984 said:

In short is there a cheaper transport alternative to get from the dock in Olden to Loen Skylift? I can currently purchase tickets for the Skylift direct from their website for around  £35 per person. However P&O and the linked tour operator are currently charging £80 for Skylift tickets  and transport there. £45 for a 6 mile round trip is extortionate!

Most P&O excursions are very expensive anyway, but for some I think they just think of a number and treble it.

We are booked on an accessible tour in Olden, for which we paid £85 in September. I looked today and they are selling the same tour for £170. Surely they must have priced it incorrectly when we booked; otherwise, how can they justify a 100% increase? 

10 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Blimey. Apparently is an 80 minute walk each way. Could be an option for the fit. Not much else to do in Olden 😂 

Are you allowed to say Olden hasn't much in it on here i made a comment on another P&O forum that it must have been built up since i was there in 2012 and as you said nothing in it and i got crucified for having the cheek for saying something different from the flock.

Did answer the question where all the arrogant posters went after the official P&O Forum from years ago shut down. 🙂

P.S Another money saving tip for everyone, Sail to view Pulpit Rock from Stavanger, Get your Guide £56 P&O £95. Minor differences but not worth paying the extra for.

From what I've researched there is a local operator in Olden who provide the transport to the Skylift. Their website provides the same service at roughly the same price. Seems like they are taking advantage of a captive market / poor public transport links.

12 hours ago, davecttr said:

The skylift capacity is 35 people per car and 2 cars operate, one going as one is going down. Capacity is 350 people per hour each way. When we were there last year there was a large ship tendering to Loen.

I wonder if taking a P&O excursion guarantees up and down timed slots?

Can't honestly see P&O or anybody else being able to book timed slots, can you imagine the trouble that would cause with people queuing for the next car then being told sorry we're going in front of you, there would be a riot especially at top if weather was bad.

2 hours ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

Can't honestly see P&O or anybody else being able to book timed slots, can you imagine the trouble that would cause with people queuing for the next car then being told sorry we're going in front of you, there would be a riot especially at top if weather was bad.

In which case you might have a long wait in the queue. Imagine arriving and the queue will take two hours before you get on the cable car, a 6-7 minute journey and then allow another 2 hour wait to get back down. It looks to me that the P&O excursion is the safe bet as the ship will have to wait for you and others.

I think 700 passengers wanting to use the skylift is a reasonable number from a large ship

4 hours ago, meast1984 said:

From what I've researched there is a local operator in Olden who provide the transport to the Skylift. Their website provides the same service at roughly the same price. Seems like they are taking advantage of a captive market / poor public transport links.

When we were on Aurora July 2019 there was a shuttle (not P&O) to the skylift from the side of Aurora which was reasonable. You got tickets in one of the booths near the ship.  We enjoyed the cable car ride and it wasn’t busy.  Trails at the top and yes we did watch the mad people jumping off the edge.  Loen skylift has an Instagram account.  Maybe you can message them. 

Edited by galeforce9
  • Like 1

Did the Loen Skylift with the local provider at the port last September. Got the shuttle bus at 9am for when the cable car opened at 9.30. Walked straight through the shop. Scanned my ticket on the entrance gate and straight into the cable car with no queue at all 

The price for the skylift is NOK575 booked direct (summer pricing).  For the shuttle from Olden + Skylift it is NOK850 via the olden cruise dot com website.  In GBP that is £46 v £67, so £21 for the bus which is expensive but standard in Norway if cruise passengers are involved.  This is still better than the P&O price.

We are travelling in June and I think I'll just leave it until the day and take my chances in case there is low cloud and nothing to see.  A lot of money for nothing if the weather doesn't cooperate!

The £35 price for the skylift mentioned by the OP is the winter pricing which expires 30th April (in case anyone is travelling after that time).

• Like 3

We were there last August and booked thro Olden Adventures google them half the price of ships your. We went later in the day around lunchtime after the cruise ship trips had been in the morning. Hth. 

Edited by 2BACRUISER
Typo

When we were there in 2019, we found that there was a P&O excursion visiting both the Skylift and the Kjendall Glacier for only a few pounds more (£6ish if I remember correctly) than just doing the Skylift, so it might be worth seeing what else P&O are offering and if any of their combined offerings are better value? 

Always remember though if doing a P &O excursion like we did you only get about 30 to 40 minutes up the top , and if there are a lot of people at the top this cuts the time down due to you been given a time to be back down for the bus .

Im going again this June and making our own way there on the shuttle and pre booking because this time we are going for a hike up the top 

• Like 2