Royal MTD

This will be our first time doing an My Time Dining on Royal. We have a couple younger kids so like to stay flexible each day. I'm seeing the option to book a time a couple months out now, for a time each night. Since we aren't really sure what each day will bring--do we have to book ahead of time, or can we book/show up once on the ship? (understanding there may be a wait time). Thanks!

1 minute ago, elcuchio24 said:

Thank you! Sometimes its 5:30, sometimes its 7. Hard to pin it down with kids.

If it is usually 5:30, I would sign up for early traditional dining.  Depending on the ship the lines can be long.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

Wonder of the Seas--early May. Thanks!

In all likelihood the dining times on your sailing will be similar to the current sailing on Wonder (she’s not relocating, as some ships will soon).  Here are the dining times on current sailing (according to the app):

Early 5pm

MTD 6:30-9:00pm

Late 7:45pm

On 3/23/2023 at 10:32 PM, Starry Eyes said:

In all likelihood the dining times on your sailing will be similar to the current sailing on Wonder (she’s not relocating, as some ships will soon).  Here are the dining times on current sailing (according to the app):

Early 5pm

MTD 6:30-9:00pm

Late 7:45pm

I've already selected MTD. My issue is now looking at the app, some nights there are no options to reserve until 8pm.....if we show up at 6:30 would be still be seated, even if there is a wait?

Just confusing because on CCL/NCL, it is literally MTD and you just show up or request a table a few minutes before you're ready to eat, and not reserving weeks in advance. 

21 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

I've already selected MTD. My issue is now looking at the app, some nights there are no options to reserve until 8pm.....if we show up at 6:30 would be still be seated, even if there is a wait?

Just confusing because on CCL/NCL, it is literally MTD and you just show up or request a table a few minutes before you're ready to eat, and not reserving weeks in advance. 

Actually you have two choices:

If you want reservations, you could go to the MTD desk early on boarding day and ask for reservations.  There is a chance you will get one at a time you like…or not.  Worst you will hear is no.

You can also go without reservations.  Outside the MTD dining room, there will be two lines.  One for people with reservations and one for people without reservations.  Join the latter whenever you wish.  You will be seated; I don’t know how long the line might be or how long you might wait.  

BTW, some people do report showing up before the MTD start time and being seated.  After all, every night there are some early traditional diners who do not come to the MDR). The MTD host may be able to go ahead and fill those seats if it won’t interfere with the work flow of early traditional dining waiters.  You can stop by the MTD desk early and ask very politely.

25 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Actually you have two choices:

If you want reservations, you could go to the MTD desk early on boarding day and ask for reservations.  There is a chance you will get one at a time you like…or not.  Worst you will hear is no.

You can also go without reservations.  Outside the MTD dining room, there will be two lines.  One for people with reservations and one for people without reservations.  Join the latter whenever you wish.  You will be seated; I don’t know how long the line might be or how long you might wait.  

BTW, some people do report showing up before the MTD start time and being seated.  After all, every night there are some early traditional diners who do not come to the MDR). The MTD host may be able to go ahead and fill those seats if it won’t interfere with the work flow of early traditional dining waiters.  You can stop by the MTD desk early and ask very politely.

This is exactly the info I was looking for. Really appreciate you help!

23 minutes ago, Thisguylikestocruise said:

A lot of people here mentioned a wait for MTD. This wasn’t my experience on Wonder. We arrived at 7:30 without reservations and were seated immediately. Service and food were excellent. 

28 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

This is exactly the info I was looking for. Really appreciate you help!

I often have the impression that MTD lines are longer near the opening time…though *hopefully* those lines clear fairly quickly as so many tables become available (the early diners all sat at the same time, so they file out steadily).  So the line might be gone by 7:30, as the above poster reported.  Or maybe lines were never bad on that cruise🤷‍♀️.  Different people on different cruises will report different experiences.  I just want people, especially ones with little kids, to know about the odd MTD start times on Royal so they are prepared.  

Another free dining option in the evening you might consider is Solarium Bistro.  Take a look at that menu and see if it would appeal to your family.  If so, make a reservation if still available.   You  can cancel if you change your mind but if you wait too long all the reservations will likely be gone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

I often have the impression that MTD lines are longer near the opening time…though *hopefully* those lines clear fairly quickly as so many tables become available (the early diners all sat at the same time, so they file out steadily).  So the line might be gone by 7:30, as the above poster reported.  Or maybe lines were never bad on that cruise🤷‍♀️.  Different people on different cruises will report different experiences.  I just want people, especially ones with little kids, to know about the odd MTD start times on Royal so they are prepared.  

Another free dining option in the evening you might consider is Solarium Bistro.  Take a look at that menu and see if it would appeal to your family.  If so, make a reservation if still available.   You  can cancel if you change your mind but if you wait too long all the reservations will likely be gone.

Thanks! We'll definitely check it out. Just trying to keep it flexible with the kids: because who knows what the day brings. But, it is nice to sit down just to have a cocktail and be waited on for sure. 

6 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

Thanks! We'll definitely check it out. Just trying to keep it flexible with the kids: because who knows what the day brings. But, it is nice to sit down just to have a cocktail and be waited on for sure. 

I understand the desire for flexibility, but since you mentioned reservations, I thought I’d throw it out there.  Solarium Bistro is still a buffet, yet a bit nicer atmosphere and waitstaff bring drinks.  It may or may not suit your family.  If you book then and decide to cancel on board, someone else will likely snap it right up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, elcuchio24 said:

Be prepared for some level of disappointment if you are comparing to NCL.

In my opinion they have it right , and Royal has it VERY wrong !

There are other threads on the subject that will enlighten you

GL

Cheers

• Like 1