Snorkel life vest at great stirrup cay

StarAFire

Hi,

it’s been many years since we went to Great stirrup cay but I had a vague memory that they used to require a life jacket when snorkeling. If so, do they charge you to rent one from them?  If it makes any difference we will be on the Getaway.   Thx

Edited by StarAFire

3 hours ago, StarAFire said:

Hi,

it’s been many years since we went to Great stirrup cay but I had a vague memory that they used to require a life jacket when snorkeling. If so, do they charge you to rent one from them?  If it makes any difference we will be on the Getaway.   Thx

I bought some on Amazon for about $10 and we will be able to use them at other ports where we are snorkeling.  They come in a small pouch and will take up very little space in our luggage.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gracebest said:

I bought some on Amazon for about $10 and we will be able to use them at other ports where we are snorkeling.  They come in a small pouch and will take up very little space in our luggage.

I think I'm going to finally do this. I never want to snorkel for long so paying to rent gear doesn't make sense. If I finally buy it'll cost less than an excursion and if I only go for a little bit on each cruise it'll be worth the cost. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

We have not been to GSC post pandemic (we have tried, but always cancelled). I don’t remember a vest requirement to snorkel there. Is that new?

I remember bringing my own snorkel equipment in 2010 and they required a vest.  You can sneak by with your own equipment and no vest.  However if a lifeguard sees you they will instruct you to get a vest.  Make sense.  Safety first.  

I was bad and never wore one but that was wrong for me to do.  The next time I rented the equipment and the vest comes with the equipment rental.

We brought our own snorkel equipment in 2012 and 2016 and did not use a life vest. Walked passed the lifequards without the vest and they said nothing.
We are going again this year and I hope it still isn't mandatory. I prefer snorkeling (diving under) without the vest 🙂