Our 2024 Alaska Adventure--including planning!

no1racefan1

I'm in a boring period of trip planning that involves...not much planning. Just checking on flights, hotels, etc. to see if point values have changed. Nothing exciting to report.

So! I figured it's time to do a shore excursion update because I have seen so much discussion about how soon shore excursions sell out for Alaska and the times available. I reported on these previously, let's see if anything has changed! As a reminder, we are 10 months out from our cruise, and we are going in shoulder season (mid-May) so shore excursions may sell out faster on summer trips.

Hubbard Glacier Explorer--still showing at least 20 available. From what I've gathered, excursions will only ever show up to 20 spots available, even though some of them will have way more spots than that. I've ready the Hubbard Glacier excursion takes approximately 140-150 ppl. So as of now, it's not sold out! We're not booked on this, but I have it on my wish list if I happen to find an extra $600 before it sells out....

Skagway--Chilkoot Trail Hike & Float--only 4 tickets remaining! I believe it started out with 12 spots. Still only one time available to book; I'll report back later if/when they open up other time slots.

Juneau--Mendenhall Glacier Explorer--at least 20 spots available, only one time slot open

Ketchikan--Lumberjack Show--at least 20 spots available, only one time slot open

Ketchikan--Fishing & Wilderness Dining--11 spots available (started with 12, so DH is the only person booked so far)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, no1racefan1 said:

I'm in a boring period of trip planning that involves...not much planning. Just checking on flights, hotels, etc. to see if point values have changed. Nothing exciting to report.

So! I figured it's time to do a shore excursion update because I have seen so much discussion about how soon shore excursions sell out for Alaska and the times available. I reported on these previously, let's see if anything has changed! As a reminder, we are 10 months out from our cruise, and we are going in shoulder season (mid-May) so shore excursions may sell out faster on summer trips.

Hubbard Glacier Explorer--still showing at least 20 available. From what I've gathered, excursions will only ever show up to 20 spots available, even though some of them will have way more spots than that. I've ready the Hubbard Glacier excursion takes approximately 140-150 ppl. So as of now, it's not sold out! We're not booked on this, but I have it on my wish list if I happen to find an extra $600 before it sells out....

Skagway--Chilkoot Trail Hike & Float--only 4 tickets remaining! I believe it started out with 12 spots. Still only one time available to book; I'll report back later if/when they open up other time slots.

Juneau--Mendenhall Glacier Explorer--at least 20 spots available, only one time slot open

Ketchikan--Lumberjack Show--at least 20 spots available, only one time slot open

Ketchikan--Fishing & Wilderness Dining--11 spots available (started with 12, so DH is the only person booked so far)

I was just thinking of you this morning!!  I'm less than 50 days out from our cruise and we have (finally) started to purchase some clothing.  The hubs and I both needed new rain jackets and water proof shoes.  We plan on wearing layers for our days in port (long sleeve shirts, fleece/puffy vest and rain jackets).  This way we can peel off layers as needed.  For "water proof" shoes we went with some hiking shoes that we can also use after the cruise.  That has been my philosophy while making any clothing purchases...we need to be able to use it at home so that it's not a totally frivolous purchase.

While I was walking our dogs earlier today, I thought to myself, "Is it too early to start packing?"  LOL...IT IS!  I really want us to try to only take 1 full size suitcase (each) in addition to our carry ons, so that leaves me wondering if I can fit everything into the suitcase.

By chance, did you pick up any goodies for your cruise on Prime Day?  I picked up the following things:

2 travel toiletry bottle kits

2 cruise approved power strips w/ USB and USB-C

1 mini white noise machine (battery powered, size of a clementine, impressive volume!!)

1 pack of air tag holders (I honestly looked for the cheapest option, lol)

1 travel pack of Poo-Purri (not on sale but totally worth it)

1 travel pack of Tide pens (also not on sale)

• Like 2

In addition to the things listed above I plan to pack a small first aid kit in case of minor injuries. Got a luggage weight to check my bag weight. Small laundry detergents so I can do laundry and pack less clothes, definitly got some poo-purri too!  Also, some wrinkle release spray and small can of insect repellant.   We are trying for one checked larger bag, one carryon and two backpacks, hopefully we can make it work! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

I was just thinking of you this morning!!  I'm less than 50 days out from our cruise and we have (finally) started to purchase some clothing.  The hubs and I both needed new rain jackets and water proof shoes.  We plan on wearing layers for our days in port (long sleeve shirts, fleece/puffy vest and rain jackets).  This way we can peel off layers as needed.  For "water proof" shoes we went with some hiking shoes that we can also use after the cruise.  That has been my philosophy while making any clothing purchases...we need to be able to use it at home so that it's not a totally frivolous purchase.

While I was walking our dogs earlier today, I thought to myself, "Is it too early to start packing?"  LOL...IT IS!  I really want us to try to only take 1 full size suitcase (each) in addition to our carry ons, so that leaves me wondering if I can fit everything into the suitcase.

By chance, did you pick up any goodies for your cruise on Prime Day?  I picked up the following things:

2 travel toiletry bottle kits

2 cruise approved power strips w/ USB and USB-C

1 mini white noise machine (battery powered, size of a clementine, impressive volume!!)

1 pack of air tag holders (I honestly looked for the cheapest option, lol)

1 travel pack of Poo-Purri (not on sale but totally worth it)

1 travel pack of Tide pens (also not on sale)

I avoided Prime Day, LOL. Actually, I've been putting off making too many purchases for our trip for now. I think once it gets closer I'll have a better idea of what we actually need and avoid overspending. Fortunately, we are outdoorsy people in WY and the weather situation seems very similar to AK, so we have a solid array of shoes/clothing/accessories for this type of trip.

We usually each bring one 25" suitcase and one backpack as a carryon, but I'm thinking of counting my backpack as my personal item this trip and bringing an extra 20" carryon. 

I am moving ahead on my planning as well.  I think we are a week after you No1RaceFan1 .  I can't book my van from Midnight sun until September but I do have all pre cruise hotels and a TURO booked for Juneau.  Our plan is to travel the Kenai Peninsula before we cruise. Starting to look at excursions now.  I am looking at the Toursaver book which I cannot get until October so here's my updated plan so far:

Saturday May 25 fly to Anchorage  Alaskan Air uses Toursaver so may wait on booking air. Pick up van & shop at Walmart  Springhill suites booked with points.  We are a group of 7 adults for the pre cruise tour. Dinner at Moose Tooth?

Sunday 5/26 Driving sightseeing day: Breakfast at hotel. Pack a lunch. Photo stops along the Turnagain Arm.  Visit Wildlife Conservation Center. Drive to Cooper Landing for Float excursion.  Drive thru the Skilak loop on our way to Soldotna for the night.  Spruce Haven Lodge booked. Dinner at Addie Camp?

Monday 5/27 some go fishing, probably halibut, some go sightseeing & drive to Homer. Stops incl Anchor Point & Ninichik. Lunch & shopping in Homer. Dinner in Soldotna at ?

Tuesday 5/28 Drive to Seward. Stop at Moose Pass Maybe do flightseeing there. Arrive Seward by lunch and do Major Marine Orca quest and Seevey sled dog cart ride. Hotel 360 booked.

Wednesday 5/29 Drive to Whittier. Visit Exit Glacier on way out of town. Get the 11:30 tunnel and be on the Grand Princess around noonish. We will pay extra to be able to drop the van in Whittier.  I am meeting the rest of my group of 46 friends so need to check on our nightly cocktail gathering spot and MDR area asap.  (Its a fundraising cruise for the Elks)

Group tours I'm considering. I do not go thru the cruise line for my excursions so we can all be together.  My philosophy on running a group is to provide an option for those who do not want to plan on their own but share info about what people could book if they are more adventurous. 

Skagway: Private bus: 3 hr city tour & drive to Klondike. Afterwords explore town on our own. Visit the Elks lodge.

Juneau:  I'm renting a car to go to the glacier, shrine of St T., Glacier Gardens? and the brewery. Others may individually go whale watching or Mendenhall tour. Group tour going gold mining at  Gastineau Mine.  We all meet up at Red Dog for a duck fart.

Ketchikan: Private group tour of city, rainforest, and a totem park.  I may go flightseeing. Then visit the Elks lodge.

Any other ideas or advice? I too am in a lull right now. Excursion people are pretty much saying they are not booking until September, but I am able to get my group busses early.

TIA

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Stowaway LFC said:

In addition to the things listed above I plan to pack a small first aid kit in case of minor injuries. Got a luggage weight to check my bag weight. Small laundry detergents so I can do laundry and pack less clothes, definitly got some poo-purri too!  Also, some wrinkle release spray and small can of insect repellant.   We are trying for one checked larger bag, one carryon and two backpacks, hopefully we can make it work! 

Smart, smart, smart!!  I also plan on taking extra OTC meds.  Between Zycam, Nyquil/Dayquil, Tylenol, Aleve, and heartburn meds...I will have a small pharmacy 🤣  

I have seen laundry detergent sheets but never used them. I know OFF makes wipes that are great to use when traveling.  We took them to the Bahamas to protect against sand fleas.

• Like 2

Hi all-  I too have been doing a bit of cruise planning over the last couple of weeks as I was off work last week having knee surgery.  I have our itinerary finalized so I’m finishing up the hotel bookings, and trying to decide on the last couple of excursions.  The time off was nice as I could revisit my planning to see if I missed anything.  I’m feeling pretty good overall.

I will be packing carry-on only with a carry on travel backpack and underseat bag. My younger son will probably pack carry on only too.  My mom and my older son tend to pack a checked bag so I think we’ll still be ok for space in the SUV I rented.

I’m planning on gifting son #1 a jacket for the trip but otherwise we should be set as our weather here, and past National park trips should have us all set.  I usually pack OTC meds, but will make especially sure for Alaska.  I’m also going to need my refillable ice pack for my knee.  It should be much better by next summer as long as I don’t overdo it with any steep hiking trails.  I have travel sizes of bug wipes I use for our state bird (mosquitoes) that I usually keep for trips up north so I’ll bring those too.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2023 at 11:15 AM, no1racefan1 said:

We planning Alaska in 08/24 - started last year and finally getting excited!
Cruise booked ✔️

Airline Flights booked ✔️

Excursions planned (but not booked yet)

This thread was really helped and has me excited again for this cruise. We haven’t cruised since 2019 and I’m ready to go. I just haven’t been to excited to plan until now since we had so many family problems - my in laws are not well (at the same time) she had cancer, he has dementia - my SIL just passed away - I am retired but I am in the beginning stages of starting my own business. But when I come to the cc boards, I feel like I have found my people 😄 I’m the planner and everyone here has great ideas. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, From Air to Sea! said:

We planning Alaska in 08/24 - started last year and finally getting excited!
Cruise booked ✔️

Airline Flights booked ✔️

Excursions planned (but not booked yet)

This thread was really helped and has me excited again for this cruise. We haven’t cruised since 2019 and I’m ready to go. I just haven’t been to excited to plan until now since we had so many family problems - my in laws are not well (at the same time) she had cancer, he has dementia - my SIL just passed away - I am retired but I am in the beginning stages of starting my own business. But when I come to the cc boards, I feel like I have found my people 😄 I’m the planner and everyone here has great ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Welcome to the 'cruise planning club' 🙂 We appreciate the find details of planning almost as much as the trip itself, haha.

• Like 3

On 3/25/2023 at 12:14 PM, no1racefan1 said:

Other things to note:

DH is 55, I'm 40. We're both in good health and average physical condition. We like to be active and spend time outdoors. This will be our 5th cruise and 2nd on Princess. We are booked in an inside cabin.

We did not purchase the Plus or Premier package. I don't drink at all and DH might have 1-2 drinks a day, if that. He drinks plain coffee and water and I usually just drink water. Paying individually for gratuities and wifi is going to be less expensive than a package.

We have had very good luck with ship excursions and most likely will book those through Princess. I've compared the ones we are interested in and there's not much price difference if we were to book independently. Exception for things such as Mt. Roberts tramway, that we can just walk up and buy tickets for if we decide to do it.

First of all, thank you!!!  Seriously. This thread is EXACTLY what I needed to read to get me started on a possible 2025 Alaskan cruise vacation.  Your budget post is amazing!  I've read and read and read and feel a bit overwhelmed, because this Mississippi girl knows ZERO about Alaska.

Literally, two nights ago, I decided that we could save money by booking an inside cabin.  Plus, and this is a BIG one, it's the only way that I am ever going to get a decent night's sleep with all of the hours of sunshine.   Maybe a ship with one of those virtual balconies might be worth our consideration.

I am leaning toward rejecting Princess as an option.  Yes, yes, I know they are "the experts" out there, but the more I read about their more traditional and relaxing "Love Boat" style, the more I think it doesn't "fit" our family's cruising style.  My crew likes karaoke, piano bars, dancing, shows, and trying to max out their adult drink packages.  We like to stay BUSY.  We are not "sit around the pool all day and chill" vacationers. (We can do that in our own backyard.)

I can't wait to keep reading your posts.

• Like 3

On 4/2/2023 at 8:29 PM, no1racefan1 said:

Oh! I got an AARP membership (I signed DH up because he's...more mature...) It was on sale for $12 for the year and it came with a free gift--a multi-USB port charger thingie. I was actually planning to buy something similar for our cruise that was $15 on Amazon, so basically the membership already paid for itself? Unless the multi-USB port thing is a piece of junk. Will update when I receive it!

Anyways, you can get the discounted Princess gift cards from AARP without a membership. However, they offer a lot of other gift card options available to members only. Some that may be of interest to CCers: Carnival, American Airlines, Royal Caribbean, Hotels.com, Airbnb, Celebrity... I am most interested in the Airbnb gift cards. They are only 5% off but money is money, amiright??? You can also get various supermarket cards for 8% off.

Check your car rental prices through AARP, too.  We were in a bind in 2021, when our Allegiant flight to Orlando got canceled and the AARP one-way car rental couldn't be beat my any of our credit card arrangements or my husband's employer discount.

• Like 1

I could not love this post anymore if I tried!!! I am such a planner as well, it is almost more fun than actually traveling 🙃

We are on a 10 day Alaska cruise from San Francisco leaving in May. I will have to organize my info so as to add it to the group as I would love some feedback.

Complete side note, make sur if you purchase bug repellant wipes that the packaging seals well. We had to throw ours out and purchase in port on 2 different cruises lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to book my Major Marine tour today! They are open for 2024. After all the conversation we had here, I decided on my original plan of the 4-hour Orca Quest cruise. This was for a few reasons:

• If I end up seasick and miserable, I don't want to be stuck on that boat for 6+ hours
  • I'm specifically interested in seeing orcas as opposed to other types of wildlife
  • Saved a few bucks doing the shorter tour 🙂
  • Leaves us a little bit of free time that day to do something else if we want to

I was going to wait until Black Friday to see if it went on sale, but I just couldn't wait, haha. If it goes on sale, I may call and see if I can get that price, since it is cancellable up until 72 hours prior.

I've decided on a couple other tour operators but they are not bookable yet:

• MICA Guides--for the Matanuska Glacier hike. I decided on this company because it looks like they are available earlier in the year.
  • Adventure 60 North--for a morning kayak tour in Resurrection Bay. I decided on them because I like the slightly later start time, allowing us time for a leisurely breakfast and packing the morning we leave Seward.
  • Pablo's Bike Rentals--to rent bikes in Anchorage.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 5:44 PM, no1racefan1 said:

I was able to book my Major Marine tour today! They are open for 2024. After all the conversation we had here, I decided on my original plan of the 4-hour Orca Quest cruise. This was for a few reasons:

• If I end up seasick and miserable, I don't want to be stuck on that boat for 6+ hours
  • I'm specifically interested in seeing orcas as opposed to other types of wildlife
  • Leaves us a little bit of free time that day to do something else if we want to

I was going to wait until Black Friday to see if it went on sale, but I just couldn't wait, haha. If it goes on sale, I may call and see if I can get that price, since it is cancellable up until 72 hours prior.

• MICA Guides--for the Matanuska Glacier hike. I decided on this company because it looks like they are available earlier in the year.
  • Adventure 60 North--for a morning kayak tour in Resurrection Bay. I decided on them because I like the slightly later start time, allowing us time for a leisurely breakfast and packing the morning we leave Seward.

Woot!  Glad to see you were able to do more planning.  I'm to the point where the only real planning I have left is to pack and then sign up for things that are only available onboard.  TBH...and I think after all your planning you might end up feeling the same way...I'm going through a dry spell (planning wise) and I'm itching to plan something else.  LOL!  

I'm hoping to do a 'live' post during the cruise but it will probably end up in the forum specific to the cruise line.  I'll make sure to tag you in case you want to follow along or want me to check on anything in port (if time allows).

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 5:44 PM, no1racefan1 said:

I forgot to mention that I also skipped the longer cruises into Kenai and went for a shorter cruise in Resurrection Bay.  I agree that it's risky to make a pricey investment when you are prone to motion sickness.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

Woot!  Glad to see you were able to do more planning.  I'm to the point where the only real planning I have left is to pack and then sign up for things that are only available onboard.  TBH...and I think after all your planning you might end up feeling the same way...I'm going through a dry spell (planning wise) and I'm itching to plan something else.  LOL!  

I'm hoping to do a 'live' post during the cruise but it will probably end up in the forum specific to the cruise line.  I'll make sure to tag you in case you want to follow along or want me to check on anything in port (if time allows).

Yay, I'm looking forward to it!! I am definitely already itching to plan something else... DH just rolls his eyes at me. LOL

18 minutes ago, no1racefan1 said:

Yay, I'm looking forward to it!! I am definitely already itching to plan something else... DH just rolls his eyes at me. LOL

Glad I'm not the only one receiving eye rolls from their DH.  In the end, they are going to thank us for our planning when things unfold nicely during our trip.  

Right now, my DH's focus is on an abbreviated trip to Vegas the week before the cruise. (lil' tangent here...but I told him if he comes back sick from Vegas I will kick him in the rear!  We leave for Anchorage 7 days later) It was an unexpected trip to play in a trading card game tournament (insert my eye rolls here).  Luckily, we had enough points left after our cruise needs to cover his flight and hotel.  Due to the busy tournament, and his lack of interest, he doesn't intend to do any fancy dinners or gambling.  I did not offer to do the planning for this trip and I'm kind of giggling when he comes to me to ask for suggestions.  He was about a month out when I asked if he had purchased his entry into the tournament or looked at any side events.  Nope...  But it does appear he must have done it within a few days of me questioning him since I saw the purchase come across our bank account.  LOL

Edited by cmmaxwell03
  • Haha 1

Oh, if you need more planning you could always research what other cruise lines will be in port at the same time as yours.  I was curious to know how many passengers would be swarming the towns at the same time we were in port.  In the picture below, I used my cruise line website and the 2 others listed to find out everything in the chart.  It's totally overkill but scratched the "planning" itch 🙂image.thumb.png.b368bad79e52258acd5a8769d0d84aa9.png

• Like 1