Our 2024 Alaska Adventure--including planning!

no1racefan1

On 4/2/2023 at 9:14 PM, no1racefan1 said:

I spent this afternoon fine tuning our tentative itinerary--I'm already so excited for this trip!! By looking at this it probably seems like I'm one of those people that wants to have every single day planned out to the minute, but I'm really not! I like to have *ideas* for what we could do in a day, but we're very much go with the flow type people.

Monday, 5/13

B-airport

L-airport

Fly to Anchorage

Stay @ Hyatt

Pick up rental car

D-49th State Brewing OR

Haute Quarter Grill

Tuesday, 5/14

B-free at hotel

Denali flightseeing trip?

Explore Anchorage

Buy groceries

L-picnic

Massages?

Wild Scoops ice cream

D-Anchorage

Stay @ Hyatt

Wednesday, 5/15

B-free @ hotel

Drive to Glacier View

Matanuska Glacier guided hike

L-The Butte Burger Place

Bodenberg Butte hike?

D-leftovers

Stay in Palmer?

Thursday, 5/16

B-groceries/make our own

Drive to Seward

Scenic stops along the way

L-picnic

Visit Exit Glacier

D-The Cookery OR

Woody’s Thai Kitchen

Stay @ yurt in Seward

Friday, 5/17

B-groceries/make our own

Orca quest tour in Seward OR

Kayak tour

L-Seward?

Drive back to Anchorage

Buy wine & soda for cruise?

D-Anchorage

Drop off rental car

Stay @ Hyatt

Saturday, 5/18 Embark Whittier 8pm

B-free @ hotel

9:45am-12:05pm Alaska Railroad

L-onboard or eat remaining groceries

Portage Pass Trail hike?

5:20pm dinner in MDR

Sunday, 5/19 Hubbard Glacier 3pm-8pm

Laundry day

3:30pm-5:30pm Hubbard Glacier cruise?

6:40pm dinner in MDR

Monday, 5/20 Glacier Bay 9:15am-7:30pm

Tuesday, 5/21 Skagway 7am-8:30pm

7:30am-11:45am Chilkoot Hike & Float

Lunch back on board

Walk or shuttle to Gold Rush Cemetery

Hike to Lower Reid Falls?

Shopping in Skagway

Wednesday, 5/22 Juneau 6:30am-4pm

7am-10:30am Mendenhall Native Canoe

Lunch in town—fish & chips

Mt. Roberts Tramway?

Thursday, 5/23 Ketchikan 10am-6pm

Breakfast in MDR

10:30am-3:30pm Fishing excursion (Wade)

Lumberjack show?

Walking tour/shopping

Friday, 5/24 Sea Day

Laundry day

Saturday, 5/25 Disembark Vancouver 7:30am

Breakfast on board

Taxi to airport

L-airport

D-airport

Stay night in Denver?

I've started a wish list of 'would like to do this if we win the lottery' things to do (we don't play the lottery....) such as flightseeing in Denali. I'd like to know what everybody's ONE thing in Alaska is to do, if you did nothing else--what would feel quintessentially Alaskan to you?

(We did a helicopter flight to dogsledding camp on top of a glacier on our first cruise, so that's why those experiences are not included in our trip this time. We also did the White Pass train ride in Skagway. Both highly recommended!!)

For budgeting purposes, I'm trying to map out when/where we might be eating meals so we will know what to grocery shop for. I've also started researching restaurants in various places to see if there are any 'must do' places! I don't eat seafood sooooo....yeah. No crab legs here! Recommendations welcome, of course! Part of the reason I started this thread was to help give other people ideas as well... and the other reason I started this thread is to keep myself amused and give myself an outlet for my over 400 days left of trip planning I'll be doing....

Curious how you have dinner in the MDR at two different scheduled times?

1 hour ago, torybruno said:

Curious how you have dinner in the MDR at two different scheduled times?

I went into the Cruise Personalizer via the website and it gave me the option to choose the same time/dining room for the whole trip, or to make individual reservations for each night.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2023 at 8:49 AM, torybruno said:

Hello all!

I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed this post and reading through all 8 pages!  I used to visit cruise critic often during our first cruises, but have not lately.  

We are newly retired, just turned 60, and have been tasked with planning an Alaska adventure with 2 other couples who have not been.  We've been twice, and both times only booked and planned two months out.  After reading this post, I'm thinking I better get on it for June 2024!!

I really appreciate the news about Denali, I was thinking we would do it again this time, but after reading you cannot go as far into the park...  the Seward area is peaking my interest with the bike rentals and boat excursions.  We have narrowed down our time line to the last 2 weeks of June, it's just a matter of what cruise line to pick.  We are not loyal to any one, we have sailed most of the big lines.  

Both Alaskan cruises we have done were on HAL.  The first time, we did 3 nights in Denali with the cruise line.  The absolute best thing we did on that cruise was fly in a day early, rented a car and drove to Majestic Valley Wilderness Lodge for the night.  In the morning we did the Matanuska Glacier trek for FOUR hours with MICA guides.  Hands down, two trips to Alaska, and this was the most amazing thing we did, and want to repeat it in 2024.  Afterward we drove back to Anchorage and met up with our party for the beginning of the cruise/tour.  

The second cruise we did three years later, when a deal came in my email that was too good to pass up!  Round trip out of Seattle, we had two free Marriott nights in Seattle, one free airfare, and the cruise visited two different ports we had not been to the first time, and very cheap for a balcony.  

If anyone is interested... here's some of the excursions we have done...

Juneau, whale watching on a private 6 passenger boat, second time we took a taxi to Mendenhall glacier, hiked to the glacier, then took the tram up and ate lunch at the top, and did a small hike at the top.

Glacier Point Wilderness Safari to Davidson Glacier was my second favorite tour after the MICA guides.  We did this from Haines, but it's my understanding the same tour runs from Skagway.  I'm not sure if they still let you exit the 21 person canoe and walk up to the face of the glacier like we did, but it was an AMAZING tour!

Ketchikan... we did an all you can eat crab leg excursion and wilderness tour, and the second time we did a float plane to Misty Fjords with Island Wings (highly recommend!)

Victoria was also a new port on the second cruise, and Butchart Gardens did not disappoint!

Also loved sailing Glacier Bay day!

Again... thank you for this wonderful post, I look forward to following it!

@torybruno do you remember if there was a glacier access fee that you paid on top of booking your trip with MICA Guides? I'm getting ready to book our glacier trek--yay!!--and it sounds like on the website there is a $45pp access fee that is charged in person at check in, on top of what is paid online. Fine with me, but wanted to make sure I understand correctly for budgeting purposes 🙂

11 minutes ago, no1racefan1 said:

@torybruno do you remember if there was a glacier access fee that you paid on top of booking your trip with MICA Guides? I'm getting ready to book our glacier trek--yay!!--and it sounds like on the website there is a $45pp access fee that is charged in person at check in, on top of what is paid online. Fine with me, but wanted to make sure I understand correctly for budgeting purposes 🙂

We are booked! Actually ended up booking the very first glacier trek of the day on the very first day they are available in 2024. Phew!! I hope the weather cooperates!

1 hour ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

@no1racefan1 The pressure is ON!  We fly to Anchorage Tuesday morning.  Then start the cruise on Thursday.  My 'to-do' lists are a bit lengthy.  I read back over your packing list and realized I had forgotten to add binoculars to my packing list.  DOH!

oh.my.goodness. I can't wait to read all about it!!

• Like 2

On 8/29/2023 at 4:06 PM, no1racefan1 said:

We are booked! Actually ended up booking the very first glacier trek of the day on the very first day they are available in 2024. Phew!! I hope the weather cooperates!

That's awesome!  I really don't remember what we paid, it was on our July 2016 cruise.  I'm thinking it was around $70 each, and I don't remember an additional fee... but my memory is not that great!  I just remember it was the absolute best excursion, EVER!!!  4 hours out on the glacier, and most of the day was sunny.  We dressed in layers, and filled our water bottles right from the melting glacier!  I'm sure now the ice trek is at least double... so much cheaper than the fly in helicopter tours that spend 20 minutes on the glacier! 

Racefan... maybe you can help me... I joined CC way back whenway before apps and cell phones... so is there an app now for CC on your phone, or do you just use the website?  I'm a little tech challenged!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, torybruno said:

That's awesome!  I really don't remember what we paid, it was on our July 2016 cruise.  I'm thinking it was around $70 each, and I don't remember an additional fee... but my memory is not that great!  I just remember it was the absolute best excursion, EVER!!!  4 hours out on the glacier, and most of the day was sunny.  We dressed in layers, and filled our water bottles right from the melting glacier!  I'm sure now the ice trek is at least double... so much cheaper than the fly in helicopter tours that spend 20 minutes on the glacier! 

Racefan... maybe you can help me... I joined CC way back whenway before apps and cell phones... so is there an app now for CC on your phone, or do you just use the website?  I'm a little tech challenged!

I just use the website. I'm a terrible millennial that hates doing things on my phone, lol. 

I ended up paying $260 for two people on the ice trek plus it says there's the $45pp access fee that we pay in cash upon arrival. So quite a bit more expensive, but I'm sooo excited about it!

• Like 2

On 9/2/2023 at 10:30 AM, no1racefan1 said:

I just use the website. I'm a terrible millennial that hates doing things on my phone, lol. 

I ended up paying $260 for two people on the ice trek plus it says there's the $45pp access fee that we pay in cash upon arrival. So quite a bit more expensive, but I'm sooo excited about it!

You pay an additional fee because access to the glacier is owned by a private company. The fee is different from the tour provider—the Glacier Park collects the fee, you pay the guides separately.  Tour guides have no control on that cost.

Pre-2021, one used to be able to do self-guided hikes on the glacier.  Now you can only access it by using guides.  Much safer this way!

6 hours ago, disneyochem said:

You pay an additional fee because access to the glacier is owned by a private company. The fee is different from the tour provider—the Glacier Park collects the fee, you pay the guides separately.  Tour guides have no control on that cost.

Pre-2021, one used to be able to do self-guided hikes on the glacier.  Now you can only access it by using guides.  Much safer this way!

There's no way I would do it without a guide--I'm terrified of crevasses!

Both loving this thread and feeling nervous.  I usually plan far ahead, but not this far ahead. DH and I were hoping to do a diy land tour and southbound cruise June/July 2024, but haven't been able to nail down dates yet- eek!  If we can nail dates down this weekend I'll enjoy using your insight on this thread and start booking.

• Like 1

Trip planning updates! I've been able to book a few of our independent tours and tweak a few things in our agenda.

I switched out Mendenhall Glacier Explorer for the Bike and Brew Glacier View tour in Juneau. Thanks to a tip from @Arkiepig, I was able to look up the tour provide (Cycle Alaska) on TripAdvisor and confirm that there will likely be enough time to walk to Nugget Falls on this tour. This tour is more our style even though I don't drink--I'm sure DH will enjoy the beer sampling! This resulted in $180 increase spending on ship excursions. Oh, by the way--the tour price through Princess was EXACTLY the same as booking direct with Cycle Alaska! I booked through Princess because as I've said before, I like the ease of them making the arrangements for us.

Side note, I ended up accidentally cancelling my lumberjack excursion while trying to cancel the Mendenhall Glacier excursion, because Princess's website is kind of terrible. So now I need to keep track and make sure I get refunded for both of those excursions (and I have no idea what payment I used sooooo I guess that'll give me something to do, haha). I did rebook the lumberjack show.

I ended up cancelling and rebooking our flights from Denver to Anchorage because I had a companion fare on Alaska Air that needed to be used before next spring, and I wasn't sure where/when I would use it. That resulted in spending approximately $600 on flights, but I got 90,000 miles back that DON'T expire, so it seemed like a better idea to save those for future use and a better deal too.

The only tour I haven't booked yet is our kayaking in Seward, because the company I want to use (Adventure 60 North) doesn't have next year open for booking yet. I'm trying to decide between a 3-hour or 5-hour kayak trip; the 5-hour would be $60pp more, but includes lunch, which would offset some of that cost. And it includes some hiking.  Hmm, decisions, decisions....

And lastly, I paid off our cruise balance today! I bought a $500 gift card on AARP with 8% discount (bummer they changed it from 10% to 8%, but I'll take what I can get!) and applied that to our remaining balance. I do have about $100 left on the gift card that I will have GS apply once onboard. I had read that a few people have had luck being able to apply the extra as OBC ahead of their cruise, but I was NOT able to do that on the website. It only let me apply the exact amount that we owed. I'm not going to bother being on hold to try over the phone. YMMV.

• Like 2

Budget Update! Changes since last update:

• Rebooked flight using companion fare instead of points
  • Paid off cruise fare. 8% discount on gift card from AARP helped save on that.
  • Booked Matanuska Glacier hike. Added the glacier access fee to miscellaneous because I didn't realize that was additional.
  • Reduced some discretionary categories to make up for the increases elsewhere

I'm pretty happy with where we are so far. I was trying to get under $7K but there aren't a ton more things I can cut yet. Maybe as it gets closer some more things will change! I mean... probably.. LOL

I started a wish list of things I'd like to splurge on if possible--upgrading plane seats with extra legroom, upgrading our cabin to a balcony, booking the thermal suite for DH. This will depend where we end up in a few months!

$732.07 Plane tickets   $732.07 Plane tickets
$219.07 Rental car   $219.07 Rental car
$80.00 Gas in rental car     Gas in rental car
$1,161.74 Cruise fare+protection   $1,161.74 Cruise fare+protection
$85.59 Lodging in Glacier View   $85.59 Lodging in Glacier View
$192.00 Lodging in Anchorage   $192.00 Lodging in Anchorage
$512.94 Lodging in Seward   $512.94 Lodging in Seward
$259.70 Matanuska Glacier hike   $259.70 Matanuska Glacier hike
$100.00 Wifi on board     Wifi on board
$224.00 Onboard gratuities     Onboard gratuities
$888.55 Shore excursions   $888.55 Shore excursions
$80.00 Anchorage bike rentals     Anchorage bike rentals
$310.46 Orca quest tour   $310.46 Orca quest tour
$220.00 Seward kayak tour     Seward kayak tour
$200.00 Massages/spa     Massages/spa
$650.00 Dog sitting     Dog sitting
$100.00 Guide tips     Guide tips
$60.00 Extra ship tips     Extra ship tips
$650.00 Meals/groceries     Meals/groceries
$200.00 Train to Whittier     Train to Whittier
$80.00 Taxi/Ubers     Taxi/Ubers
$150.00 Miscellaneous     Miscellaneous
$90.00    M. Glacier access fee        M. Glacier access fee
$25.00    Fishing license        Fishing license
$30.00    Laundry        Laundry
$35.00    Bear spray        Bear spray
$400.00 Shopping     Shopping
$7,736.12     $4,362.12  
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 2:07 PM, no1racefan1 said:

Trip planning updates! I've been able to book a few of our independent tours and tweak a few things in our agenda.

I switched out Mendenhall Glacier Explorer for the Bike and Brew Glacier View tour in Juneau. Thanks to a tip from @Arkiepig, I was able to look up the tour provide (Cycle Alaska) on TripAdvisor and confirm that there will likely be enough time to walk to Nugget Falls on this tour. This tour is more our style even though I don't drink--I'm sure DH will enjoy the beer sampling! This resulted in $180 increase spending on ship excursions. Oh, by the way--the tour price through Princess was EXACTLY the same as booking direct with Cycle Alaska! I booked through Princess because as I've said before, I like the ease of them making the arrangements for us.

Side note, I ended up accidentally cancelling my lumberjack excursion while trying to cancel the Mendenhall Glacier excursion, because Princess's website is kind of terrible. So now I need to keep track and make sure I get refunded for both of those excursions (and I have no idea what payment I used sooooo I guess that'll give me something to do, haha). I did rebook the lumberjack show.

I ended up cancelling and rebooking our flights from Denver to Anchorage because I had a companion fare on Alaska Air that needed to be used before next spring, and I wasn't sure where/when I would use it. That resulted in spending approximately $600 on flights, but I got 90,000 miles back that DON'T expire, so it seemed like a better idea to save those for future use and a better deal too.

The only tour I haven't booked yet is our kayaking in Seward, because the company I want to use (Adventure 60 North) doesn't have next year open for booking yet. I'm trying to decide between a 3-hour or 5-hour kayak trip; the 5-hour would be $60pp more, but includes lunch, which would offset some of that cost. And it includes some hiking.  Hmm, decisions, decisions....

And lastly, I paid off our cruise balance today! I bought a $500 gift card on AARP with 8% discount (bummer they changed it from 10% to 8%, but I'll take what I can get!) and applied that to our remaining balance. I do have about $100 left on the gift card that I will have GS apply once onboard. I had read that a few people have had luck being able to apply the extra as OBC ahead of their cruise, but I was NOT able to do that on the website. It only let me apply the exact amount that we owed. I'm not going to bother being on hold to try over the phone. YMMV.

not sure how to do the discounted aarp gift cards??

Heads up for anyone who is going in 2024 and plans to use the trains at all. The Denali Explorer is live and can be booked. Last time I checked it wasn't available. I'm not sure how long it has been available but there are already some dates showing limited availability so book your Denali Explorer train tickets if you need them!

• Like 3

Just stumbled upon this thread and loving and appreciating all the information!  I have begun our planning for Alaska embarking in Seattle on May 31, 2024.  Although our itineraries are different, we have some ports of call in common.  Unlike you, we are not doing a pre or post stay due to time constraints...Guess this will be good reason to go back!  Thank you for creating this thread!  Though I still have several pages of reading to go, I am learning a lot!

• Like 2

Today I noticed several excursions are now showing fewer slots available, so they are starting to fill up! Nothing is sold out yet, and several still have at least 20 spots available, but the ones that are smaller groups are definitely looking like they will sell out pretty early, as has been reported on CC. So for you 2024 cruisers, don't wait too long!

Edited to add: I've also seen at least one excursion change times! DH's fishing excursion time has been moved by a couple of hours. So things are happening in the excursion department for 2024, for sure.

I  haven't seen any refund for the shore excursions I cancelled on 9/5, so I'm tackling Princess via Live Chat today. I wish Princess would actually send cancellation emails or even just be consistent about sending excursion emails, in general. Ugh. Will let you know how it goes!

Edited by no1racefan1

I just noticed an excursion I am planning on that was $300 is now $315 through the cruise line.  So they can also increase the rates.  Or maybe decrease (but I doubt that happens).

But for the excursion above, I am going local so saving $65.  However I cannot book until I get our passports back since it will cross over the Canadian border.  White Pass Train/Bus Excursion