Chair hogs be warned

melbur

On 4/5/2023 at 5:13 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Should I leave a note on the chair that I have gone to take care of body functions? Why do people have to carry things to extremes in both sides of this issue?😑

Because they have never worked in a situation where they need to use real critical thinking to address an issue and just act like everything is cut and dry... even when it is a very complex issue.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/29/2023 at 8:57 AM, resetjet said:

Urine is not dangerous.  Its the people who dont wipe their butts good that you need to worry about.   I cant even look at those tubs now.  Its sad,  i love hot tubs.

Urine can have MRSA, pseudomonas and other bacterial/fungal components.  I'm in the NO hot tub/no pool group. 

15 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

Because they have never worked in a situation where they need to use real critical thinking to address an issue and just act like everything is cut and dry... even when it is a very complex issue.

It is pretty cut and dry.  Instead of hogging a chair you are not using, let others have a go.  It is only complex to those who feel their chair hogging is at stake.   The complex answer is manners and consideration of others.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

It is pretty cut and dry.  Instead of hogging a chair you are not using, let others have a go.  It is only complex to those who feel their chair hogging is at stake.   The complex answer is manners and consideration of others.    

Didn't you say you're fine with people tying up a chair if they're in the pool?  I mean, they're not using the chair when they're in the pool, right?  

AND, there is no way you can look at a chair with things on it but no person and KNOW whether that person is doing something you consider "OK" or "not OK". 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Didn't you say you're fine with people tying up a chair if they're in the pool?  I mean, they're not using the chair when they're in the pool, right?  

This has already been discussed.  I see a difference with someone using the poolside chairs while actually in the pool or hot tub.  I would consider that chair in use.   Versus someone out eating lunch or taking a nap, especially when they show up every 29.5 minutes to reclaim their reservation for the eventual time when they might actually occupy the chair.  There are folks even suggesting their selfish chair rights be extended to 45 minutes because it it inconvenient to cut their meals short.  

Other than the current rule allows it, I have yet to hear justification why a chair should remain unavailable for lengthy periods while while someone is off doing something else in another part of the ship.  Instead I hear I don't understand their needs, I lack critical thinking, I don't have skin in the game, or the subject is simply to complex for me to grasp.  

Someone in the atrium leaves stuff on their chair while they are dancing to the atrium band.  Someone reserves an atrium chair while they are away eating lunch.  You don't see a difference?  

35 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

AND, there is no way you can look at a chair with things on it but no person and KNOW whether that person is doing something you consider "OK" or "not OK". 

Also already discussed.   I don't think the chair hog problem is caused by people using the pool.   One solution already discussed would be to limit to 10 minutes.   Kind of unfair to actual users, but would pretty much eliminate the professional chair hogs.       

Edited by ldubs

7 minutes ago, ldubs said:

This has already been discussed.  I see a difference with someone using the poolside chairs while actually in the pool or hot tub.  I would consider that chair in use.   Versus someone out eating lunch or taking a nap, especially when they show up every 29.5 minutes to reclaim their reservation for the eventual time when they might actually occupy the chair.  There are folks even suggesting their selfish chair rights be extended to 45 minutes because it it inconvenient to cut their meals short.  

Other than the current rule allows it, I have yet to hear justification why a chair should remain unavailable for lengthy periods while while someone is off doing something else in another part of the ship.  Instead I hear I don't understand their needs, I lack critical thinking, I don't have skin in the game, or the subject is simply to complex for me to grasp.  

Also already discussed.   I don't think the chair hog problem is caused by people using the pool.   One solution already discussed would be to limit to 10 minutes.   Kind of unfair to actual users, but would pretty much eliminate the professional chair hogs.       

You're missing the point.  Very few people here like that people put things on chairs and disappear for hours.  

However, please explain how you would KNOW someone is off doing something else vs being in the pool or in the bathroom?  THAT'S the issue.  Figure that out and you might have a solution.  If you want to stick around watching to see if someone visits a chair, more power to you. 

9 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

You're missing the point.  Very few people here like that people put things on chairs and disappear for hours.  

However, please explain how you would KNOW someone is off doing something else vs being in the pool or in the bathroom?  THAT'S the issue.  Figure that out and you might have a solution.  If you want to stick around watching to see if someone visits a chair, more power to you. 

I gave one solution twice already, namely change it to 10 minutes.  The rule could also be changed to prohibit chair saving when not in the pool area.  At least honest people might comply.   Chair saving robots might be a few years off.   

Anyway, I freely admit I don't have an ideal solution.  

Edited by ldubs

9 hours ago, Kathscof said:

Maybe there should be the timer of how long it would take someone to get "pruney" in the water for the time they are away from the chair HAHAHAHHAAHHA

Maybe not so much on a cruise ship because the area is monitored, but from a loss control perspective there should be a timer that shuts it down periodically.  Especially where alcoholic spirits can be involved. 

27 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Someone in the atrium leaves stuff on their chair while they are dancing to the atrium band.  Someone reserves an atrium chair while they are away eating lunch.  You don't see a difference?  

And there it is , as is usually the case on here with those that think solutions to problems are so easy. ...So you state>>>  'The problem isn't the actual users , but  I can fix the problem of chair hogs by ruining their experience in the process'. ... Think that through for just a minute..

As I stated earlier , total lack of actual critical thinking !

And as I also stated it most Definitely IS a complex issue !!

Cheers

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I gave one solution twice already, namely change it to 10 minutes.  The rule could also be changed to prohibit chair saving when not in the pool area.  At least honest people might comply.   Chair saving robots might be a few years off.   

Well that clearly didn't jive with the rest of your postings on the subject . Went from stating how cut and dry it was to that... At least you got there I guess... there's that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LobsterStalker said:

And there it is , as is usually the case on here with those that think solutions to problems are so easy. ...So you state>>>  'The problem isn't the actual users , but  I can fix the problem of chair hogs by ruining their experience in the process'. ... Think that through for just a minute..

As I stated earlier , total lack of actual critical thinking !

And as I also stated it most Definitely IS a complex issue !!

Cheers

Did I say the problem isn't the actual users?   It is in fact the chair hogs that cause the problem isn't it.  Apparently their experiences are deemed more important that everyone else's.  

No.  Not a complex issue.  Current rule allows selfish behavior which impacts others.   Pretty simple.   

51 minutes ago, ldubs said:

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Did I say the problem isn't the actual users?   It is in fact the chair hogs that cause the problem isn't it.  Apparently their experiences are deemed more important that everyone else's.  

No.  Not a complex issue.  Current rule allows selfish behavior which impacts others.   Pretty simple.   

Hmmmmm...... Did you?.... say the problem isn't the actual users ???

Clearly this is like talking to a wall at this point !!

Enjoy not using the pool area on your next cruise !

Cheers

8 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Well that clearly didn't jive with the rest of your postings on the subject . Went from stating how cut and dry it was to that... At least you got there I guess... there's that

I think you should re-read my comments without bias.  The issue is pretty cut & dried.  Not so much the solution.

45 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Well, I believe there is already a prohibition on chair saving all over the ship... at the pools, in the theater.  How well is that working out?

And, what will changing the rule from 30 minutes to 10 minutes accomplish?   The time isn't the issue.  It's the lack of enforcement.  

45 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I thought you said it was simple and easy?  

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

1 minute ago, LobsterStalker said:

Hmmmmm...... Did you?.... say the problem isn't the actual users ???

Clearly this is like talking to a wall at this point !!

Enjoy not using the pool area on your next cruise !

Cheers

You know you are misrepresenting what I said.  I said I did not think pool users were the problem.    I think I have made the distinction between them and folks off elsewhere in the ship very clear several times.  

Funny that there are a lot of criticism about me and little said to justify chair hogging other than it is a right based on current rules.  Stop quoting me with silliness and I'll be happy to move to more enjoyable threads.   

Just now, ldubs said:

You know you are misrepresenting what I said.  I said I did not think pool users were the problem.    I think I have made the distinction between them and folks off elsewhere in the ship very clear several times.  

Funny that there are a lot of criticism about me and little said to justify chair hogging other than it is a right based on current rules.  Stop quoting me with silliness and I'll be happy to move to more enjoyable threads.   

THERE ARE ALREADY RULES AGAINST SAVING CHAIRS.  And your "10 minute" idea?  What if we change the speed limit from 70mph down to 55mph.  That will cut down on speeders, right? 

Just now, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Well, I believe there is a prohibition on chair saving all over the ship... at the pools, in the theater.  How well is that working out?

And, what will changing the rule from 30 minutes to 10 minutes accomplish?   The time isn't the issue.  It's the lack of enforcement.  

I thought you said it was simple and easy?  

Enforcement clearly is an issue.  Said that before too.  

That I don't have the ideal answer does not make it complex.  

I don't know what else you folks want.  I do not think chairs should be saved for 30 minutes while someone is off eating.   You apparently think the current rule is good.  We disagree.    

3 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

THERE ARE ALREADY RULES AGAINST SAVING CHAIRS.  And your "10 minute" idea?  What if we change the speed limit from 70mph down to 55mph.  That will cut down on speeders, right? 

I'm not following what that has to do with freeing up unused loungers, but yeah it would certainly increase the number of speeders and certainly initially after such a change was made.   Finally, something we agree on!           

Deep breathe people, take a Zen moment. No solution at this point and we are at an impasse.

As Paul McCartney's mother once said to him as he was anxious, worried, and trying to create the next song of a lifetime, "Let it be."  She was "Mother Mary comes to me".

The rest is history. 😉

We "All Can Come Together." (Beatles).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Deep breathe people, take a Zen moment. No solution at this point and we are at an impasse.

As Paul McCartney's mother once said to him as he was anxious, worried, and trying to create the next song of a lifetime, "Let it be."  She was "Mother Mary comes to me".

The rest is history. 😉

We "All Can Come Together." (Beatles).

I believe "Piggies" by the Beatles is more appropriate for this tread. 🐷 

Why are people afraid to walk a few steps?  By the looks of a lot of cruisers, might actually do them some good.    Seems there are always a ton of loungers available on the top deck.  There are even bar staff waiters if you don't want to walk 25 steps for your next drink.                                                        For those commenting about not needing a lounger if they are in the pool- if you aren't in the pool, why do you need a lounger next to it?      

How about seats in the bar?  If you're not pounding a drink every 10 minutes, should you be forced to vacate your seat?

• Like 1