Bringing Bicycle Onboard

cruisemover

I would think it is one of those things that can be arranged by prior arrangement. We were on a cruise that had a group of twelve motorcyclists. It was great in the morning to see them all go off down a ramp in the morning. There bikes were kept somewhere in storage. We also saw a tandem regularly leave the ship on a Caribbean cruise once, I think that was a RC cruise. Suggest you email Celebrity and take a copy with written agreement with you on boarding. Definitely not something I would risk taking a verbal response from a Celebrity agent for as most of them probably don’t know the answer and you definitely don’t want an argument at the port! 

Hope you get a response from someone with personal experience. As a by the way you may need to check your bike is covered in your insurance both for damage/theft and liability in the countries you are planning on visiting. Also there are ports (usually container ones) where you have to be bussed to the port exit so worth checking your itinerary thoroughly.

Sincere best wishes for a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisemover said:

Anybody have any experience bringing a bicycle onboard for use at ports? The prohibited items list on the Celebrity Cruises FAQs page does not include bicycles.

I actually have seen 2 bikes brought off a cruise ship during a port stop (foldable) on Royal this past December.  

• Like 1

I've taken my bike on one of the summit Bermuda cruises years ago.  We did have a suite and coordinated it with the concierge ahead.  I believe I had some customs paperwork I had to fill out to prove that I wasn't leaving the bike there or whatever.  They stored the bike with the crew bikes in the bowels of the ship somewhere.  I was given the card of someone in security to ring anytime i wanted them to bring the bike to the gangway for me.  It was wonderful.  Planning on doing it again for an Alaska cruise now that I live in Seattle.

I'm not sure how e-bikes will be handled.  Sometimes that is on the excluded list.  

To anyone curious about this option, if it works logistically for you, there's nothing like getting off in a port and exploring quickly on your own without being sucked into port logistics with thousands of people.  

• Like 3

I've seen crew take them off to ride. Personally, I find it easier to just rent a bike in every port, since I can find an electric bike usually and ride until my battery depletes--I've done this in Catalina, Mazatlan, Victoria, Cozumel, Copenhagen, Skagway, LA, Long Beach, and am planning it on Solstice next week in Santa Barbara, San Diego, and SF. I'm also probably the only person who always rides to and from Seattle ports on an app-based electric bike (or scooter, once), after I park my car in a nearby neighborhood, with a duffel bag strapped over my back. I find a bike is a much better way to explore than being on a bus tour or walking, since it opens up so much more and is definitely much more fun, and of course calorically compensates for a few of my visits to Scoops. I know that HAL and Princess refuse bikes, which is hypocritical since they allow every other sort of mobility device and I've seen crew taking their bikes off a ship. I know if I had a bike on an Edge-class ship I'd be sorely tempted to ride the undulating walking path.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the advice!

22 hours ago, chemmo said:

Suggest you email Celebrity and take a copy with written agreement with you on boarding. Definitely not something I would risk taking a verbal response from a Celebrity agent for as most of them probably don’t know the answer and you definitely don’t want an argument at the port! 

I had emailed cec@celebrity.com 3 weeks ago asking about bringing a bicycle onboard but have still not received any response. Is this the right email address for this type of question?

7 hours ago, needmorevacations said:

They stored the bike with the crew bikes in the bowels of the ship somewhere.  I was given the card of someone in security to ring anytime i wanted them to bring the bike to the gangway for me.

Did they offer to store your bike to save space in your room, or did they not want it inside your room? I would actually prefer to let them hold onto it since I will be in a lowly inside stateroom!

There are a few email addresses, the Captains Club one often responds fastest in our experience even, as in this case, it isn’t a Captain’s Club issue. 

Things are looking positive from the above responses. Hope you have a fantastic time!

9 hours ago, needmorevacations said:

I've taken my bike on one of the summit Bermuda cruises years ago.  We did have a suite and coordinated it with the concierge ahead.  I believe I had some customs paperwork I had to fill out to prove that I wasn't leaving the bike there or whatever.  They stored the bike with the crew bikes in the bowels of the ship somewhere.  I was given the card of someone in security to ring anytime i wanted them to bring the bike to the gangway for me.  It was wonderful.  Planning on doing it again for an Alaska cruise now that I live in Seattle.

I'm not sure how e-bikes will be handled.  Sometimes that is on the excluded list.  

To anyone curious about this option, if it works logistically for you, there's nothing like getting off in a port and exploring quickly on your own without being sucked into port logistics with thousands of people.  

Absolutely agree.  We rent bikes every cruise.  E bikes of course are my favorite because I have one at home.  Have rentals upcoming in Cozumel, Costa Maya, Nassau and Bimini.  Have rented in Rome, Spain, Naples, Grand Canaria, Skagway, Cozumel multiple times, St. Thomas, Grand Cayman and a few more.  

5 hours ago, cruisemover said:

I had emailed cec@celebrity.com 3 weeks ago asking about bringing a bicycle onboard but have still not received any response. Is this the right email address for this type of question?

A travel agent can take care of this rather quickly. They have dedicated representatives and dedicated phone reps to call. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2023 at 12:38 AM, chemmo said:

There are a few email addresses, the Captains Club one often responds fastest in our experience even, as in this case, it isn’t a Captain’s Club issue.

I sent an email to CelebrityEngagementCenter@celebrity.com a week ago but still no response.

On 3/29/2023 at 5:20 AM, CruisingWalter said:

A travel agent can take care of this rather quickly. They have dedicated representatives and dedicated phone reps to call. 

I asked my travel agency and the agent claims a Celebrity representative said bicycles are not allowed.

I wonder if they may be conflating using a bicycle onboard and bringing a bicycle onboard. Celebrity's conduct policy reads in part:

"Roller blades, roller skates, skateboards, surfboards, bicycles, and similar items may not be utilized onboard. Scooters are not permitted onboard except when used as a mobility aid."

It says bicycles cannot be utilized onboard but does not prohibit it onboard like scooters.

What could happen if I brought my bicycle to the embarkation terminal? Could they not allow it onto the ship at all? Could I leave it at the terminal to be picked up after the cruise?

Edited by cruisemover

3 hours ago, cruisemover said:

I sent an email to CelebrityEngagementCenter@celebrity.com a week ago but still no response.

I asked my travel agency and the agent claims a Celebrity representative said bicycles are not allowed.

I wonder if they may be conflating using a bicycle onboard and bringing a bicycle onboard. Celebrity's conduct policy reads in part:

"Roller blades, roller skates, skateboards, surfboards, bicycles, and similar items may not be utilized onboard. Scooters are not permitted onboard except when used as a mobility aid."

It says bicycles cannot be utilized onboard but does not prohibit it onboard like scooters.

What could happen if I brought my bicycle to the embarkation terminal? Could they not allow it onto the ship at all? Could I leave it at the terminal to be picked up after the cruise?

Try twitter or FB messager to get an answer 

4 hours ago, cruisemover said:

I guess I would ask myself if the risk of my personal bike being left at the port is worth more than the cost of renting a bike at a port. 

• 1 month later...

Turns out Celebrity had no problems with the bicycle. Seems like the port employees have never seen a bicycle in their lives though.

The ship's security officer came out to the security area and basically warned me that he would throw me and the bicycle overboard if I used it on the ship and then welcomed me aboard. Wheeled it through the metal detector without ever going through the X-ray scanner.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

59 minutes ago, cruisemover said:

Turns out Celebrity had no problems with the bicycle. Seems like the port employees have never seen a bicycle in their lives though.

The ship's security officer came out to the security area and basically warned me that he would throw me and the bicycle overboard if I used it on the ship and then welcomed me aboard. Wheeled it through the metal detector without ever going through the X-ray scanner.

It is so nice when someone asks a question on the board and then comes back to relate their experiences to help others in the future.

Hope you had a great cruise and some wonderful rides!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisemover said:

Thank you!!  We were debating buying foldable bikes since bike rentals are increasing in price especially in Alaska.  If you don't mind, do you have a picture of your bike to share?  Is it foldable?

6 hours ago, cruisemover said:

Thanks for the update.  Did you keep the bike in your stateroom or was it kept in the hold? And was it an e-bike or a regular bike? I have a Jupiter foldable e-bike and not sure if the battery would be allowed or not.

Thanks again.

6 hours ago, chemmo said:

It is so nice when someone asks a question on the board and then comes back to relate their experiences to help others in the future.

Hope you had a great cruise and some wonderful rides!

I am glad that everything worked out.  Thanks for getting back to us and closing the loop.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 3:48 AM, chemmo said:

I would think it is one of those things that can be arranged by prior arrangement. We were on a cruise that had a group of twelve motorcyclists. It was great in the morning to see them all go off down a ramp in the morning. There bikes were kept somewhere in storage.

I'd think the gasoline etc would be a risk with the motorcycles stored onboard. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

47 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

They must manage it somehow.  During our Jan 2019 Reflection cruise, there were a bunch of passengers that brought their motorcycles with them.

image.thumb.jpeg.934d5a1bd8b250b9ac754e558c3d7b47.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e7d6110e5ff1262638fa16f06a3c3b2d.jpeg

Reflection docked at Barbados,  Jan 8 2019

Edited by mahdnc

46 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I assume they must have done a risk assessment of some sort. We dined one night in Tuscan when the bikers had booked a large table. What a lovely, polite and interesting group.