Downloading the Celebrity App on a burner phone?

chuckroast1

I am one of those weirdos that still carries a flip phone, mainly because I'm cheap and my wife has a i-phone anyway. On previous cruises I've used the Celebrity App on my tablet but that's not a thing anymore as others have noted. 

So, here's my big idea. What keeps me from going to Target and buying a $30 tracphone (or similar) as long as it has a recent version of Android? I wouldn't even bother to activate it with a Carrier, just use it on WIFI here at home and on the ship. Maybe I would have to remove the SIM card.

I don't see why this wouldn't work but I'm checking to see if anyone has tried themselves. 

Thanks in advance. 

Do your wife or kids have an old cellphone/smartphone they could give you?  You do not need cell service to download the app, using Wi-Fi.  I could use my old iPhone SE (1st gen) if I did t have a newer one.  EM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chuckroast1 said:

On previous cruises I've used the Celebrity App on my tablet but that's not a thing anymore as others have noted. 

On any tablet?  Or yours is just too old to support the current version of the app?  I just opened the Celebrity app on my iPad without any issues.

Yeah - just ask around - friends, neighbors, etc - someone will have a one generation old phone to give you for free.  Don't even bother to buy a new one if you really don't want one - don't waste the $30 on something you'll just throw away.  If you can use it on wifi, it should work.

Not being able to use the app doesn't mean the tablet is old or not up to date.. The current Celebrity app is not compatible with my 6 month old up to date Chrome  tablet according to google play but RCL and other cruise company  apps are available. It does work on my 4 year old Android phone which I just checked so it's not necessarily an android thing.

2 hours ago, helby said:

Not being able to use the app doesn't mean the tablet is old or not up to date.. The current Celebrity app is not compatible with my 6 month old up to date Chrome  tablet according to google play but RCL and other cruise company  apps are available. It does work on my 4 year old Android phone which I just checked so it's not necessarily an android thing.

Sorry, tablets, not Android is really what I should have said.  It doesn't work on tablets (not Apple based).  But, also, yes there are work arounds to get the app to work on tablets that have been successful for some people, so in some cases, it does work on non- Apple tablets.  Celebrity seems to have stopped supporting it though.

Edited by ehall

13 hours ago, chuckroast1 said:

I am one of those weirdos that still carries a flip phone, mainly because I'm cheap and my wife has a i-phone anyway. On previous cruises I've used the Celebrity App on my tablet but that's not a thing anymore as others have noted. 

The Celebrity app still works on my iPad.  It does not work on Android tablets from what I have heard. 

You could always borrow your wife’s iPhone and use the app on that. 

Edited by DaKahuna

Using someone elses phone may work as will using your wifes.  It may be time though to invest in an android or IPhone.  I give you credit though for hanging on.  I could not survive in my job with a flip phone nor could my husband.  Can't read charts or results.  Not a criticism.  Everyone is different.  Good luck.