Outside of the Explorers Lounge “permanently closed”?

photopro2

On 3/30/2023 at 1:09 PM, Heidi13 said:

Based on the ship's position, you are experiencing 10 - 12 kts of trade winds, anywhere from E to NE. This can provide flat seas, especially when if you don't have any swell, which can also negatively impact the opening of the pool deckhead.

Therefore, based on the ship's speed of 18 kts, with wind fwd of the beam, you have about 20 kts of wind over the decks.

As I explained in my previous post, if it is flat calm, as you posted, it is impossible to have NO wind over the decks of a moving ship.

I completely agree. No way there is no wind on the decks of a moving ship.

As for the other things, maybe Viking is just not the cruise line for him and that’s fine. He has the right to express his opinions here. There are many good cruise lines out there. 

Edited by Omax4
  • Like 1

My friend has just returned from the TA on Viking Sea. Interestingly she said they had good weather on the crossing but the swimming pool roof would only open partially. The Captain apologised and said there was a fault in the mechanism.

They also had some engine trouble and consequently missed Funchal altogether 

He also apologised and said that they could have docked there but would only have had 4 hours ashore. He wanted to ensure they arrived promptly in Cadiz the next stop.  Apparently there was fog on arrival so they had to get special permission from the pilot to enter the port.

However despite significant airline problems on the outward journey my friends enjoyed their cruise 

Fantastic lectures and the entertainment much improved. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Omax4 said:

I completely agree. No way there is no wind on the decks of a moving ship.

As for the other things, maybe Viking is just not the cruise line for him and that’s fine. He has the right to express his opinions here. There are many good cruise lines out there. 

Having zero wind over the decks is possible, but the wind has to be from directly astern at the same speed as the ship. I experienced this a number of times.

However, when I checked the AIS earlier today, the ship was steaming 070 T at 17.3 kts. The true wind was from 070 at 11 kts, which is normal for the trade winds at these latitudes. Therefore, the wind over the deck was 28.3 kts, or 32 mph from dead ahead. The windy.com forecast showed similar wind info to what the AIS was broadcasting.

At present the wind has backed to NE at 054 T at 13 kts and the ship is steaming 068 at 17.5 kts. At an estimate, the present apparent wind is fine on the port bow at about 28 - 29 kts.

With the advent of AIS, those of us ashore have access to much of the same information, as those on the ship.

If anyone is interested, you can check the AIS info at Marine Traffic. Select the ship, then vessel details and scroll down. Note - Marine Traffic's free service only receives AIS signals from ground stations, so if ships are out of range, you can track the ship, but the details are not available.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2023 at 9:39 AM, jonthomas said:

We are on the TA on the Sky right now....

The roof over the pool has only been open 2 days, we have been on the ship for 8 days....and they only opened the roof because we have been going to guest relations and complaining....the weather warm, little to no wind...

Each time they cite safety conditions...the pool area is totally enclosed, no windows can open...without the open, roof it is incredibly hot, stifling, with chlorine vapor when they are cleaning...  that whole area is empty...and winter garden is empty too..except for tea time.....pretty valuable real-estate to have no one in it....

That and other issues, we will not be returning to Viking, this is a cruise to recoup covid credits from a March 2020 TA sailing. We have found Oceania to be our line of choice. 

On the Sky twice, Baltic and Med, No issues with the roof opening and closing. There was a sudden shower in the Baltic they closed the roof in minutes it got hot and stuffy and they opened the roof in increments No problems.

Just got off the Venus and had fresh OJ every day. Was on the Rivera last fall and our party ate in Jaques early in the cruise. 2 people ordered Lobster and when the waiter lifted the covering there was a horrible smell from one and the other was green. Waiter is still apologizing. They ran out of fresh fruit about 2/3rds of the way through and served canned mixed fruit. On Venus DW asked for fresh blue berries. Waiter told us that you can only keep blue berries fresh for about 6 days and they will be getting fresh berries in a few hours when we arrived in port. I believe O food procurement is now managed by NCL and other than specialty items there is no difference. Needs confirmation. Neither is perfect and we will sail on both again this year.

Last day on Viking star...roof was open...wonderful, now closed, no reason...found a small cool area where to read, aircond, nowhere outdoors to do that...

Area off infinity pool is the only other outdoor area to be able to do that....it is packed as a result and almost in full sun....

So glad it is our last day, the last time I said that,  we were on a celebrity ship...had we not found Oceania,  we would travel differently.