First time Alaskan Cruise on Ruby Princess. Any tips? Advice?

ninka26

My husband and I will be taking our first ever cruise on Ruby Princess (Inside Passage Glacier Bay) RT San Francisco leaving July 6th. We booked an aft balcony on the Caribe deck. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! I want this to be an extraordinary cruise experience for my hubby!  

• Like 2

For specific questions about the Ruby, I would post here.  For questions about Alaska, I would suggest posting your questions on the Alaska board as you will most likely get more answers. 

I do agree with voljeep that you should dress in layers.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  I hope you have a great cruise.

The Ruby is a nice ship.  My wife and I were on it many years ago for a spectacular Caribbean cruise.  At the time the Ruby was the newest ship in the fleet, not so much anymore, but still a beautiful ship.  I really like the Grand Class ships, I think you'll have a great time.

I highly recommend this YouTube channel.  https://www.youtube.com/@CruiseTipsTV

It is a really nice family and their video content about cruising is great.  They also have some refreshed videos about packing for Alaska.

You have a lot of sea days ahead of you.  But July is full on summer and if you are lucky the weather on the west coast especially while at sea will be pleasant.  That far north, basically starting at the bay area and going up past Oregon and Washington, well, the Pacific isn't exactly warm, but you should be able to use the pools.  Unfortunately, the Ruby doesn't have any indoor pools, so if the day is cool, you'll find the pools lightly used, but the hot tubs will probably be pretty full.  Plenty of pools and hot tubs on board and most folks spread out quite a bit, so you should be able to find a place to relax easily.

The aft balconies on the Grand Class ships are the best.  I don't like the aft balconies on the newer Royal class ships because they are not well covered by the deck above you.  You'll have overhang from the deck above you, so your balcony will be fully covered all of the time.  Aside from any cold, you'll be very well protected from rain, and likely from wind.  We had a Caribe suite balcony on a cruise a few years ago and thought it was great.  There was a large structural member that took up some of the balcony, but we were still fully covered and protected from most weather.

I'm not sure I can give you anything else that is specific for your cruise, and the video covers packing for Alaska very well.

• Like 1

Oh, don't forget to look up your cruise in the Roll Calls area of Cruise Critic.  That is where you will meet others on your cruise and you might be able to get ideas or plan activities with others.

14 minutes ago, jeromep said:

The Ruby is a nice ship.  My wife and I were on it many years ago for a spectacular Caribbean cruise.  At the time the Ruby was the newest ship in the fleet, not so much anymore, but still a beautiful ship.  I really like the Grand Class ships, I think you'll have a great time.

It is a really nice family and their video content about cruising is great.  They also have some refreshed videos about packing for Alaska.

You have a lot of sea days ahead of you.  But July is full on summer and if you are lucky the weather on the west coast especially while at sea will be pleasant.  That far north, basically starting at the bay area and going up past Oregon and Washington, well, the Pacific isn't exactly warm, but you should be able to use the pools.  Unfortunately, the Ruby doesn't have any indoor pools, so if the day is cool, you'll find the pools lightly used, but the hot tubs will probably be pretty full.  Plenty of pools and hot tubs on board and most folks spread out quite a bit, so you should be able to find a place to relax easily.

The aft balconies on the Grand Class ships are the best.  I don't like the aft balconies on the newer Royal class ships because they are not well covered by the deck above you.  You'll have overhang from the deck above you, so your balcony will be fully covered all of the time.  Aside from any cold, you'll be very well protected from rain, and likely from wind.  We had a Caribe suite balcony on a cruise a few years ago and thought it was great.  There was a large structural member that took up some of the balcony, but we were still fully covered and protected from most weather.

I'm not sure I can give you anything else that is specific for your cruise, and the video covers packing for Alaska very well.

Thank you! Really looking forward to this cruise. Hoping for many more to come.

3 hours ago, ninka26 said:

My husband and I will be taking our first ever cruise on Ruby Princess (Inside Passage Glacier Bay) RT San Francisco leaving July 6th. We booked an aft balcony on the Caribe deck. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! I want this to be an extraordinary cruise experience for my hubby!  

We will be on the Ruby Princess May 27-June 6; stay tuned.    Caribe Deck Aft Balcony.  

STAY TUNED!

Hello and welcome! Great choice for your first ever cruise and I hope you have a blast!

Some miscellaneous tips I have for the ship itself:

- Walk all around the ship and explore everything on your first day/night. Take advantage of the fact that others are probably tired or waiting to do it on their first sea day. You'll find your favorite nooks much faster than everyone else.

- Bring motion sickness remedies if you haven't already. The Pacific can be unpredictable and rough as you head straight out from San Francisco and all the way up north.

- You can bring less clothes than you think you will need as there will be a laundromat on every cabin deck ($3/wash load and $3/dry load). You can also hand wash some delicates in the sink/shower and then let it hang dry -- you can buy some magnetic hooks on Amazon to hang dry somewhere specific or just hang it in the large walk-in closet.

- Quiet spots that people don't really seem to discover or at least not really until midway through the cruise: Adagio Bar on the aft of deck 16 and the Skywalkers Nightclub on the aft of deck 18. Fabulous spaces to just relax and unwind during the day when you're out at sea but don't want to be cooped up anywhere else. The whole aft area on Ruby Princess, with the varied outdoor seating, might just be my favorite part of the ship in general.

- You can access the deck that's on top of the bridge by walking all the way to the front of deck 15 and then going through those exit doors. Fantastic panoramic views. If you are eager to be out there during primetime (AKA glacier cruising), then you'll need to plan ahead to beat the crowd.

- You can also find a good spot for scenic viewing from the front of deck 8. You get there by going out to the promenade on deck 7 and then walking to the front of the ship, and then take the stairs towards the ship's bow. If you want to be perched there, though, you'll also need to plan ahead.

- All dining rooms serve the same menu so you don't have to stick to the one you know if a different one is more convenient for you to reach.

- If the buffet seems busy at breakfast, head aft and there will be another nook open. Many people seem to ignore this aft area's food stations and seating.

- All cabins are equipped with motion sensor lights under the nightstands and in the closet. If you don't like them, you can ask your room steward for assistance with the closet light and also just put a rolled beach towel against the sensor on the nightstand.

- Speaking of towels, if you anticipate needing them, grab some on the first day for your convenience and then just stow them in your cabin. You'll never be asked to check them out or be liable for any fines if any go unreturned; it'll just make your life a bit easier.

- Same with blankets; Princess offers red-and-black checkered blankets at night when they show the movies at night on the pool deck. Grab some on the first night and then you'll be guaranteed to have blankets to use early in the mornings when you're on your balcony or out and about on the open decks for scenic cruising.

- Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for assistance and let someone know if you've appreciated their assistance via their comment cards. A little goes a long way to help the crew gain "brownie points" (for a lack of a better term) when it comes to career advancement.

If you have something specific, please ask away. There's probably too many things to actually discuss here lol.

Edited by snoozecrooze
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, ninka26 said:

We will be on this cruise as well!  This will be our 2nd Alaska cruise out of San Francisco, but our very first trip with a balcony.  One of the best things anyone ever told me before our first cruise is the great thing about cruising is you can do as little or as much as you want.  I like to try all the things. Crafts?  Sure!  Exercise class?  Why not!  Fruit carving demonstration, towel folding, bingo, naturalist talk?  Sign me up!  My husband wants to get his coffee, sit with his book and look at the ocean. We're both happy!  

One of the dining rooms will be open on embarkation day and we find having a nice relaxed lunch is a great way to start the trip.  They will try to steer you to the buffet, but you can ask which dining room is open.  Be sure to be out on deck for sail away.  Sailing under the Golden Gate bridge is amazing!  

The walls of your cabin are magnetic, so bring some magnetic clips to hang anything you need.  There aren't alot of outlets in the cabin, so a power strip is handy.  Make sure it does not have a surge protector.  Some people bring some sort of a door decoration to make their cabin door stand out from the hall way.  

On the day we cruised the glaciers in 2018, they had the most amazing pizza slices available.  It was a white pizza and they only served it that day.  We were on the Grand and I'm hoping the Ruby serves it as well!!

Are you planning any excursions?  I hope you have an awesome trip!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snoozecrooze said:

Hello and welcome! Great choice for your first ever cruise and I hope you have a blast!

Some miscellaneous tips I have for the ship itself:

- Walk all around the ship and explore everything on your first day/night. Take advantage of the fact that others are probably tired or waiting to do it on their first sea day. You'll find your favorite nooks much faster than everyone else.

- Bring motion sickness remedies if you haven't already. The Pacific can be unpredictable and rough as you head straight out from San Francisco and all the way up north.

- You can bring less clothes than you think you will need as there will be a laundromat on every cabin deck ($3/wash load and $3/dry load). You can also hand wash some delicates in the sink/shower and then let it hang dry -- you can buy some magnetic hooks on Amazon to hang dry somewhere specific or just hang it in the large walk-in closet.

- Quiet spots that people don't really seem to discover or at least not really until midway through the cruise: Adagio Bar on the aft of deck 16 and the Skywalkers Nightclub on the aft of deck 18. Fabulous spaces to just relax and unwind during the day when you're out at sea but don't want to be cooped up anywhere else. The whole aft area on Ruby Princess, with the varied outdoor seating, might just be my favorite part of the ship in general.

- You can access the deck that's on top of the bridge by walking all the way to the front of deck 15 and then going through those exit doors. Fantastic panoramic views. If you are eager to be out there during primetime (AKA glacier cruising), then you'll need to plan ahead to beat the crowd.

- You can also find a good spot for scenic viewing from the front of deck 8. You get there by going out to the promenade on deck 7 and then walking to the front of the ship, and then take the stairs towards the ship's bow. If you want to be perched there, though, you'll also need to plan ahead.

- All dining rooms serve the same menu so you don't have to stick to the one you know if a different one is more convenient for you to reach.

- If the buffet seems busy at breakfast, head aft and there will be another nook open. Many people seem to ignore this aft area's food stations and seating.

- All cabins are equipped with motion sensor lights under the nightstands and in the closet. If you don't like them, you can ask your room steward for assistance with the closet light and also just put a rolled beach towel against the sensor on the nightstand.

- Speaking of towels, if you anticipate needing them, grab some on the first day for your convenience and then just stow them in your cabin. You'll never be asked to check them out or be liable for any fines if any go unreturned; it'll just make your life a bit easier.

- Same with blankets; Princess offers red-and-black checkered blankets at night when they show the movies at night on the pool deck. Grab some on the first night and then you'll be guaranteed to have blankets to use early in the mornings when you're on your balcony or out and about on the open decks for scenic cruising.

- Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for assistance and let someone know if you've appreciated their assistance via their comment cards. A little goes a long way to help the crew gain "brownie points" (for a lack of a better term) when it comes to career advancement.

If you have something specific, please ask away. There's probably too many things to actually discuss here lol.

Thanks for these tips.  This will be our first time on the Ruby.  I never would have thought about getting a couple of blankets to use on the balcony.

5 hours ago, ninka26 said:

Get to Pier 27, around 10:30 and check-in (don't worry about your check-in time, no one else does.)  You'll be able to board after the ADA and Elite/Platinum and suites groups board.  Take your carry-on to your cabin (which will most likely be ready.)  Then head to the Da Vinci dining room on the 6th floor, for a relaxing lunch (the crew will inevitably try to steer you to the buffet and tell you that the dining rooms are closed; it's a fib.)  Da Vinci is open everyday for breakfast and lunch (albeit only for 1.5-2 hours.)  If you plan on dining at the same time every day, in the same dining room, speak to the restaurant manager or his assistant (they're in the Princess blue blazers,)  they can usually arrange something for you.  You'll probably have the same waiter and assistant waiter, so you're pleased with their efforts don't hesitate to show your appreciation in addition to the daily gratuity charge.

• Like 1

so excited for you! you have lots of good advice already & I will try not to repeat:

• if possible, fly in at least the evening before so you don't have problems with delayed flights etc. (you can go to the west coast departures board for recommendations on places to stay etc.)
  • bring some extra patience for embarkation, there can be hassles & delays but you will get on the ship & be on vacation soon
  • sailaway under the GoldenGate Bridge is gorgeous & might be one time you want to leave your aft balcony view
  • SF is rarely warm in the summer (growing up in the area, we could tell tourists because they were freezing in shorts & t's thinking they would be in CA & it would be hot)...even for embarkation layers will be important...they do (or did a few years ago sell nice AK jackets in the ports so if packing is a problem, you could get something & then just pay for extra luggage or ship home)
  • don't stress if you can't get all the medallion app pre boarding stuff done it will be ok
  • definitely follow the advice to tour the ship the first day...see the different venues get your head around the layout (many ships still have carpet that has different color accents on the port & starboard sides of the cabin hallways, so figure out what color you want to get to your room so you don't end up in a hall on the opposite side searching for your room)
  • we take door magnets just to make it easier to spot our rooms in a long row of matching doors
  • also try all the different included food venues early in the cruise so you don't discover your favorite on the last day & feel you missed out...main dining rooms (all have the same dinner menus, but only one will be open for breakfast & lunch on sea days), buffet, poolside burger grill, pizza & softserve, international cafe...afternoon tea is fun at least once & pub lunch will probably be offered once...most room service (which can come to you almost everywhere) is included too (use the app to order)...if you want something you don't see, ask if it is available
  • the crew on Princess ships are wonderful...your room steward can help with any room issues...ice, ac not working different pillows........
  • relax & enjoy, meet people or stay to yourselves, try new activities or just hang on your balcony...one of the great joys of cruising is you can make it what you want it to be
  • the enrichment talks by the local experts & naturalists are well worth your time...recently most have been posted on the TV after so you can catch them if you miss the presentation...we even had a totem carver in the Piazza on our Alaska cruise
  • binoculars for whales & other wildlife 
  • the other day you might (or might not, your choice) want to be away from your balcony is if you are cruising one of the glacier inlets so you can go from side to side
  • don't stress about doing/seeing everything, you won't enjoy what you do & maybe plan to return
  • the book they sell onboard  (Alaska Companion) is very good..you can order used copies ahead but usually without the map.

I will stop for now...have fun planning & cruising & remembering

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2023 at 3:16 PM, Italy52 said:

For specific questions about the Ruby, I would post here.  For questions about Alaska, I would suggest posting your questions on the Alaska board as you will most likely get more answers. 

I do agree with voljeep that you should dress in layers.

Thank you, I'll check out the Alaska board.

On 3/29/2023 at 7:13 PM, sharichka said:

We will be on this cruise as well!  This will be our 2nd Alaska cruise out of San Francisco, but our very first trip with a balcony.  One of the best things anyone ever told me before our first cruise is the great thing about cruising is you can do as little or as much as you want.  I like to try all the things. Crafts?  Sure!  Exercise class?  Why not!  Fruit carving demonstration, towel folding, bingo, naturalist talk?  Sign me up!  My husband wants to get his coffee, sit with his book and look at the ocean. We're both happy!  

One of the dining rooms will be open on embarkation day and we find having a nice relaxed lunch is a great way to start the trip.  They will try to steer you to the buffet, but you can ask which dining room is open.  Be sure to be out on deck for sail away.  Sailing under the Golden Gate bridge is amazing!  

The walls of your cabin are magnetic, so bring some magnetic clips to hang anything you need.  There aren't alot of outlets in the cabin, so a power strip is handy.  Make sure it does not have a surge protector.  Some people bring some sort of a door decoration to make their cabin door stand out from the hall way.  

On the day we cruised the glaciers in 2018, they had the most amazing pizza slices available.  It was a white pizza and they only served it that day.  We were on the Grand and I'm hoping the Ruby serves it as well!!

Are you planning any excursions?  I hope you have an awesome trip!!

Thank you!

We have cruised Alaska five times (4 with Princess).

You booked our favorite place... a Caribe Deck Aft Cabin!!! You have an excellent beginning.

And.......... You will have Skywalker's on the Sky deck. Many passengers use this area for a quiet reading/ game area and viewing area. During Glacier days, it is a great place to be because you can go outside for viewing and when too cold, take a quick duck back in to warm up a bit, without sacrificing any views. And of course, your aft cabin will give you fantastic panorama views without getting wet.

Even though there is no loveseat in C752 or C753, we book one of those. The balconies are huge!

Do research on the Alaska Board and join your Roll Call. There may be a Meet & Greet organized which you may want to attend.It is typically on the first sea day.

Pack layers, appropriate shoes, boots, water repellent jackets, hats and a bathing suit. It was 78 degrees one time when we pulled out of Ketchikan, just beautiful!

All of our shore excursions are typically through a private company. Once on a while we will book through Princess, depending on the circumstances.

Room service has worked well for us (2022) and it is mostly delivered in a very timely manner- it is usually two glasses of wine and takes about 10 minutes.

We typically purchase the Princess Plus package because after doing the math, it is worth it and we do not worry about getting a large surprise at the end of the cruise. Crew gratuities, WiFi, morning coffee, later in the day wine, fresh squeezed OJ, etc.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2023 at 8:21 PM, travelin.sisters said:

so excited for you! you have lots of good advice already & I will try not to repeat:

• if possible, fly in at least the evening before so you don't have problems with delayed flights etc. (you can go to the west coast departures board for recommendations on places to stay etc.)
  • bring some extra patience for embarkation, there can be hassles & delays but you will get on the ship & be on vacation soon
  • sailaway under the GoldenGate Bridge is gorgeous & might be one time you want to leave your aft balcony view
  • SF is rarely warm in the summer (growing up in the area, we could tell tourists because they were freezing in shorts & t's thinking they would be in CA & it would be hot)...even for embarkation layers will be important...they do (or did a few years ago sell nice AK jackets in the ports so if packing is a problem, you could get something & then just pay for extra luggage or ship home)
  • don't stress if you can't get all the medallion app pre boarding stuff done it will be ok
  • definitely follow the advice to tour the ship the first day...see the different venues get your head around the layout (many ships still have carpet that has different color accents on the port & starboard sides of the cabin hallways, so figure out what color you want to get to your room so you don't end up in a hall on the opposite side searching for your room)
  • we take door magnets just to make it easier to spot our rooms in a long row of matching doors
  • also try all the different included food venues early in the cruise so you don't discover your favorite on the last day & feel you missed out...main dining rooms (all have the same dinner menus, but only one will be open for breakfast & lunch on sea days), buffet, poolside burger grill, pizza & softserve, international cafe...afternoon tea is fun at least once & pub lunch will probably be offered once...most room service (which can come to you almost everywhere) is included too (use the app to order)...if you want something you don't see, ask if it is available
  • the crew on Princess ships are wonderful...your room steward can help with any room issues...ice, ac not working different pillows........
  • relax & enjoy, meet people or stay to yourselves, try new activities or just hang on your balcony...one of the great joys of cruising is you can make it what you want it to be
  • the enrichment talks by the local experts & naturalists are well worth your time...recently most have been posted on the TV after so you can catch them if you miss the presentation...we even had a totem carver in the Piazza on our Alaska cruise
  • binoculars for whales & other wildlife 
  • the other day you might (or might not, your choice) want to be away from your balcony is if you are cruising one of the glacier inlets so you can go from side to side
  • don't stress about doing/seeing everything, you won't enjoy what you do & maybe plan to return
  • the book they sell onboard  (Alaska Companion) is very good..you can order used copies ahead but usually without the map.

I will stop for now...have fun planning & cruising & remembering

Wonderful tips...please don't feel the need to stop 😄 I'm such a planner and truly appreciate all the info I can gather!

On 3/29/2023 at 7:15 PM, sharichka said:

Thanks for these tips.  This will be our first time on the Ruby.  I never would have thought about getting a couple of blankets to use on the balcony.

ask your room steward for extra blankets - those other blankets are for people watching MUTS

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 1:09 PM, jeromep said:

The Ruby Princess is a Crown class ship not a Grand class ship.

Embarkation day one of the main dining rooms will be open for lunch. It is usually a really good lunch.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

So many good tips here already. I wanted to add - we carried small binoculars with us everywhere while on the ship in the daytime. You never know when suddenly there will be something to see!

It was a few years ago for us - but there was amazing scenery to observe one morning (glaciers, mountains nearby with bear, eagles, etc) and we got up at the crack of dawn to go out on the deck. I'm not a morning person but it was SO worth it! Very few people bothered getting up that early and it felt like we had it mostly to ourselves. But bundle UP - it's very, very cold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Make sure you get a picture going under the Golden Gate Bridge.   It's usually windy and cold and in what seems like a flash you are under it and then you aren't.   Have your camera ready, I took this with my iPhone.....seriously, an "aim and shoot" picture.

F97AEA45-0709-4B40-8932-FFED132839A3.jpeg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Napagirl said:

So many good tips here already. I wanted to add - we carried small binoculars with us everywhere while on the ship in the daytime. You never know when suddenly there will be something to see!

It was a few years ago for us - but there was amazing scenery to observe one morning (glaciers, mountains nearby with bear, eagles, etc) and we got up at the crack of dawn to go out on the deck. I'm not a morning person but it was SO worth it! Very few people bothered getting up that early and it felt like we had it mostly to ourselves. But bundle UP - it's very, very cold.

Thank you! 

• Like 1