Current Transatlantic/Repositioning Conditions...

miXterOB

36 minutes ago, padgman1 said:

Fortunately, Silhouette doesn't leave until April 20th...

Are you on that sailing, padgman1?

I ask because we have a fairly active thread covering that cruise here.

I mention it, as I don't see your name in the thread, in case it may be of interest.

Best,

Canuker.

18 hours ago, Canuker said:

Are you on that sailing, padgman1?

I ask because we have a fairly active thread covering that cruise here.

I mention it, as I don't see your name in the thread, in case it may be of interest.

Best,

Canuker.

I am. I have looked on that thread, my wife enrolled us on the Facebook page for this cruise as well. I can be identified by either the Indiana University or Chelsea FC paraphernalia I will have on at times. 2 weeks away !!!

19 hours ago, Nado44 said:

Edge leaves on 17 April from FLL to BCN. Fingers crossed.

Am baffled about the concerns for weather on a TA.  For the main leg from the US to Europe the captain can vary their course a couple hundred miles either north or south to avoid most rough weather.  The roughest weather I have seen on a cruise ship was in the Caribbean near Jamaica- not Antarctica or Norway or the Atlantic.

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2023 at 6:27 PM, miXterOB said:

The Portugal port will be Madeira/Funchal which I will now gather info on but please...if you have experienced it...chime in please

it's an island so possibly considered a piece of the Azores but doesn't seem like it to me....just sits in front of the the egress of the Mediterranean....Gibraltar is due east

Just been to Funchal and weather was lovely, it’s a great place for a walk around.Flowers everywhere 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bnurick said:

Considering the 4/20 Silhouette transatlantic from Miami to Europe. Is this typically a rough seas route?  Thank you!

Miami to Europe 🤣

you know Europe is a big place , are you going to Southampton?, Lisbon, ? Barcelona? Laharve? Amsterdam? Rome?
it is like me saying I going to the USA but which port  New York , Baltimore, Port Canaveral! Miami , FLL or Tampa 

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Miami to Europe 🤣

you know Europe is a big place , are you going to Southampton?, Lisbon, ? Barcelona? Laharve? Amsterdam? Rome?
it is like me saying I going to the USA but which port  New York , Baltimore, Port Canaveral! Miami , FLL or Tampa 

Well frick me!  I should have provided more detail than the date of sailing and ship, eh. Miami, Bermuda then Ireland.  Or as shown in the attached route line… 😂😆🤣

IMG_0792.jpeg

Edited by bnurick

2 hours ago, bnurick said:

Well frick me!  I should have provided more detail than the date of sailing and ship, eh. Miami, Bermuda then Ireland.  Or as shown in the attached route line… 😂😆🤣

IMG_0792.jpeg

Makes a big difference! 😁

no point telling about what I am expecting  going to Barcelona 🤣

you should also be asking the question will the ship be UK time when you are in Le Havre ? 
There is a lot custom checks on that TA ! 
Last year on the Apex it was a bit of a ***** show at Portland ,  as we had to stand around waiting for custom office to get on the ship and check everyone’s passport 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Am baffled about the concerns for weather on a TA.  For the main leg from the US to Europe the captain can vary their course a couple hundred miles either north or south to avoid most rough weather.  The roughest weather I have seen on a cruise ship was in the Caribbean near Jamaica- not Antarctica or Norway or the Atlantic.

Was on the inaugural Nov 2014 Quantum eastbound TA from Southampton to NY.  Rough weather most of the way even with a detour to avoid the worst of a storm. Not a cruise I'd want to repeat.

Southern crossings are *usually* more tranquil than the northern ones.  But not always.

Last year's April 2022 Apex eastbound TA from FLL to AMS was lovely. Calm seas and sunny skies were the norm. One day of rain in Dorset, UK. And maybe one day of mildly choppy seas.

The recent October 2022 Apex westbound TA from FCO to FLL was also lovely. Zero inclement weather.

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I use this site for long term North Atlantic Wave Model -   They show a live 8 day forecast -

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=natla_height

Current furthest out is April 13 and look like a big storm hitting Ireland and probably Bay of Biscay.

2023-04-05_15-01-22.thumb.jpg.78c2f37aa48486472e57a6f9fde8bc97.jpg

Thanks for the link 

16 minutes ago, Nado44 said:

Southern crossings are *usually* more tranquil than the northern ones.  But not always.

Last year's April 2022 Apex eastbound TA from FLL to AMS was lovely. Calm seas and sunny skies were the norm. One day of rain in Dorset, UK. And maybe one day of mildly choppy seas.

I think the roughest night was the first out of FLL  

Just now, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Thanks for the link 

I've been using that site for about 10 years and find it very reliable.   They also have

The South Atlantic  http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=satla_height

North Pacific   http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=npac_height

South Pacific   http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=spac_height

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, padgman1 said:

I am. I have looked on that thread, my wife enrolled us on the Facebook page for this cruise as well. I can be identified by either the Indiana University or Chelsea FC paraphernalia I will have on at times. 2 weeks away !!!

Well, since you are a bona fide CC member who will be on that sailing, thread or not, you & your good lady wife are vwery welcome to join us at our sailaway party. as we leave Miami: 4:00 pm at the Sunset Bar (deck 15, aft). We'll be wearing Mardi Gras beads.

Best,

Canuker