Does the side of ship matter for Alaska Dawes Glacier balcony cabin?

poohbear8

I saw a discussion about balconies which side of the ship others suggested for certain cruises due to the views. Is the Alaska Dawes Glacier one of those cruises where it is better to be one side vs the other? I am looking at the Sept 15th leaving from Seattle. Also, when you see the deck floor plan, the front of the ship is at the top of the diagram, correct? So cabins on the left side of the diagram would be on the port side?

5 minutes ago, poohbear8 said:

I saw a discussion about balconies which side of the ship others suggested for certain cruises due to the views. Is the Alaska Dawes Glacier one of those cruises where it is better to be one side vs the other? I am looking at the Sept 15th leaving from Seattle. Also, when you see the deck floor plan, the front of the ship is at the top of the diagram, correct? So cabins on the left side of the diagram would be on the port side?

No difference as it is sort of a Fjord and thus you sail in and out.  We were usually on a higher deck as the weather was nice with better visibility.  We watched mostly on Millenium from the Sunset Bar aft. but the walking track above the pool is great too.

• Like 1

I've never found it makes a difference.   One side sees it entering and one sees it exiting.    At the Glacier the Captain usually rotates the shim 365 in one direction and then 365 in the opposite so all rooms have a view.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, poohbear8 said:

So, looking at this map, the right side is the front with the bridge, is that correct? 

Correct, the right side of the diagram shown is the front of the ship. You can also see the verandas at the aft of the ship at the very left of the diagram. 

• Like 1

When actually at the face of Dawes do not stay on your own balcony, but instead go to the Sky Lounge or one of the upper decks.  In good  weather the helipad may be opened.

When we were at Dawes in 2022 we did a Celebrity excursion in which we tendered onto a Major Marine vessel early in the morning and raced ahead of the Solstice. We were much closer to the face then the Solstice.  We did not follow the Solstice back to Juneau but took a different route diverting into Fords Terror.  We rejoined the Solstice just as it docked in Juneau.  Pricey but worth every penny.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

When actually at the face of Dawes do not stay on your own balcony, but instead go to the Sky Lounge or one of the upper decks.  In good  weather the helipad may be opened.

When we were at Dawes in 2022 we did a Celebrity excursion in which we tendered onto a Major Marine vessel early in the morning and raced ahead of the Solstice. We were much closer to the face then the Solstice.  We did not follow the Solstice back to Juneau but took a different route diverting into Fords Terror.  We rejoined the Solstice just as it docked in Juneau.  Pricey but worth every penny.

Most definitely do this!   I did it with another cruise line and it was amazing! 

Book it ASAP because it is a very popular excursion and it will sell out!

Edited by Tinknock50
  • Like 1