Scotch and Cognac on Silversea

Peter Lanky

Despite much searching on Google and various forums, I cannot find an answer to my question. I have not cruised with Silversea before, and in fact my next trip on 3rd May from Tokyo is only my second cruise, so call me 'inexperienced'. I am interested to find out which brands of Scotch and Cognac are offered in the bars and available for stocking ones personal in cabin minibar. For example, is a range of aged Scotch's offered or just a brand? Is XO Cognac included or any of the other premium versions of a particular Cognac.

The same also applies to wines, but as wine will mainly be drank when dining, I can ask for advice at the time seeing as wine is a very personal thing, but any tips on wine would sill be welcome.

The Scotch range, if memory serves me  correctly is pretty much  bog standard, sub £30 from a supermarket.

The prices they were  charging for the 'premium' brands were expensive.

My two favourites .. at home ... retail around £65 a bottle ... there are SS equivalents of a similar price range,  but no way would I pay $15 per 30ml .That works out at a phenomenal price.

We drink J & B and it is supplied in cabin. You can have your TA request what ever you want. If they have it it will be there. Don’t know much about the upscale stuff.

XO is now upscale.

Edited by zqtchas

I would be quite happy with Glenlivet if that is an indication of the range of Scotch's available, suggesting that at least popular malts are available. I want to use the opportunity to try some new ones if I can.

I suspected that XO was a little ambitious, but I guess Remy VSOP is on the menu so that will keep me quite content.

2 hours ago, Peter Lanky said:

I would be quite happy with Glenlivet if that is an indication of the range of Scotch's available, suggesting that at least popular malts are available. I want to use the opportunity to try some new ones if I can.

Bring your dineros if you want to try anything beyond an entry level offering, i.e. Glenlivet 12 or 15.  The 18, 21, or 25 will cost you, if they have it.

4 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Glenlivet is now selling a lower priced variant that has NO age statement and is a significant (IMO) downgrade from the previous entry level Glenlivet 12.

Yikes!  Good to know.  Hopefully Royal doesn’t force SS to downgrade.

1 minute ago, Stumblefoot said:

Yikes!  Good to know.  Hopefully Royal doesn’t force SS to downgrade.

Look at the label.  If you see "Founder's Reserve" (making it sound like a better variant), that's the newer non-age-statement version.  If you see a big 12 or 15 or 18 in the center of the label, those have age-qualified booze inside.

• Like 2

And FWIW, Macallan has also moved into the "no age statement" realm.  Their Quest variant is one you will find on many cruiselines, with no age statement.

Simple rule - if you don't recognize the label, ask the barman to see the bottle.

Caveat emptor.

10 hours ago, imcpa said:

IMO Bowmore is the best offered.

Personally I dislike most of the "Island' whisky varieties, much preferring Speyside or Highland   .....  neat and at room temperature and then allow them to breathe. My current favourites being North British and Compass Box 'Hedonism  .. both essentially Grain whisky.

I went to a distillery tasting some time ago and someone asked for ice ..... not a popular request to a distiller. 🙂

3 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Personally I dislike most of the "Island' whisky varieties, much preferring Speyside or Highland   .....  neat and at room temperature and then allow them to breathe. My current favourites being North British and Compass Box 'Hedonism  .. both essentially Grain whisky.

I went to a distillery tasting some time ago and someone asked for ice ..... not a popular request to a distiller. 🙂

On my last cruise (Azamara) I was at least asked if I wanted ice in Famous Grouse which was the best on offer, which I kindly declined, but often in hotels I need to warn them in advance. It's a habit thing I think, rather like dousing food with salt or ketchup even before tasting it.

As for regions, I'm happy with Highland or Islay brands, though I always have space for a Talisker.