Transferring cruise reservation to a big box TA - any issues encountered?

GenericBob

Has anyone encountered any problems after transferring their cruise reservation to a big box TA due to the transfer process?

Does anyone know what information does and does not get transferred when moving a cruise reservation to a big box TA?

ie:

1. Cabin assignments?

2. Airport transfers to and from the ship previously booked?
3. On board credits?
4. Excursion/dining reservations?
5. Are linked reservations transferred as linked?
6. Is any prior communication about the reservation on file transferred?

Ok. 

#1-remains the same

#2-IDK

#3-Absolutely plus a shop card from the BBTA

#4-made via Celeb website and not a concern of BBTA

#5-linked via Celeb website and app and not a concern of BBTA

#6-IDK

FWIW, we have had excellent service from the BBTA even though we do not have an assigned agent.

I think at least 14 of our Celeb cruises have been initially booked with the BBTA or transferred to them.

On 4/1/2023 at 5:59 PM, TMLAalum said:

Ok. 

#1-remains the same

#2-IDK

#3-Absolutely plus a shop card from the BBTA

#4-made via Celeb website and not a concern of BBTA

#5-linked via Celeb website and app and not a concern of BBTA

#6-IDK

FWIW, we have had excellent service from the BBTA even though we do not have an assigned agent.

I think at least 14 of our Celeb cruises have been initially booked with the BBTA or transferred to them.

We stopped making onboard reservations, then switching such to BBTA (which was never a problem by the way) because DH and I can discuss dates etc in the quiet of our home, use our computers to do research and then I contact BBTA.  Have not found that an onboard reservation got us a better deal.  BBTA has worked hard for us and covered everything including reductions in costs for B2B cruises.  (Our last 10+ cruises have been booked directly with BBTA.).  I do want to mention how special BBTA was in April 2022. I was having a tough time getting X to agree with my numbers for the125% covid cancellations (a lot of money was on the table and we were several thousand  dollars apart.). BBTA and I were on the phone for 8 hours (yes you read that correctly) with X, and we ended up $125 apart, which I can live with!  And that cash card is a blessing!!

$500 cash card "apology" from the BBTA came to us at the end of last month's cruise. Originally it was for $165, but we were sent an email from them after we'd made final payment indicating our cruise would be cancelled if we didn't pay a greater amount based on list price for the cruise. That invoice included the greater shop card amount. 

A phone call resolved the issue and the BBTA sent a corrected, paid-in-full invoice except for the amount of the shop card which was $335 larger! I think that was their way of making up for their mistake!

I'm also in Canada and transfer all our cruises to our big box TA.  I used to book directly with the BBTA, but I have found - particularly with Celebrity - that the price can be cheaper on their site than on the BBTA.  For our next cruise, for example, we received a significant "resident discount" for our four day cruise out of Southampton.  The BBTA was showing a higher price for the same category.

I have found recently that even though I follow the BBTA instructions - I complete and submit the correct form to the cruise line, and I then fill in the BBTA's Google form to transfer the cruise - something seems to always get dropped. The cruise line usually processes the transfer quite quickly, but I then have to nag the BBTA to add the booking to my account.  But it's worth it for that shop card. 

On 4/1/2023 at 4:25 PM, GenericBob said:

Has anyone encountered any problems after transferring their cruise reservation to a big box TA due to the transfer process?

Does anyone know what information does and does not get transferred when moving a cruise reservation to a big box TA?

ie:

1. Cabin assignments?

2. Airport transfers to and from the ship previously booked?
3. On board credits?
4. Excursion/dining reservations?
5. Are linked reservations transferred as linked?
6. Is any prior communication about the reservation on file transferred?

One potential issue is how did you book your current reservation.   Unless you specifically request it, you new reservation will be linked and sent to the TA that made your current reservation.  If it gets sent to a different TA than the BBTA, they will have to release the reservation before it can be sent to another TA or the BBTA.  You need to be very clear to the person making the onboard reservation.  I also never fill out any forms to transfer the reservation, I just call the TA with the new reservation number and they can usually complete the transfer while I am on the phone.   As far as special or group rates are concerned, you need to talk with the BBTA after you get home and have them check to see if there are any special rates for the cabin category that you booked.  if there is then they can move you to that rate.  In the past I have often found reduced rates on the refundable booking that I book with the BBTA.  So perhaps you want to book a refundable rate onboard and then investigate the rates when you get home and switch to the best rate for you when you get home.   

As enticing as the BBTA gift cards appear, they may not always reflect the best deal for you.   Sometimes the larger TA's have group rates for your particular cruise combined with other OBC incentives from those TAs is cheaper than the final price from the BBTA.  The best approach is to shop around before your cruise, check prices before you leave looking for any group rates.  Then you can book the cruise on-board and don't attach the reservation to any TA.  When you get home you can make the call to transfer the reservation to the best TA.  Purchasing a cruise isn't any different than purchasing anything else, you need to shop around if you want the best deal.

@SeaCBear

I concur with your experience re: transferring. Confirmation from Celebrity that they received my request to move my booking arrived instantaneously last Thursday but nothing yet from u no who.

Annoyingly, the BBTA website does not show the cruise only fare, which is what we book these days. 

I just did this and was told by the BBTA agent that after X transferred over my reservation, it was best to call BBTA after the transfer was confirmed as they have to do an additional step to pull the reservation in. We booked directly with X instead of BBTA because the rooms we wanted that showed as available on X's website weren't showing up on BBTA's website. Also, we are traveling with our kids, and did not want to pay the extra $ for the beverage package that is automatically included in BBTA's price.  So we were able to book cruise only for kids, and then transfer over to BBTA to get the shop card.  Also wanted to add that we have been very happy with service provided by BBTA - they were able to reprice the cruise for us when it dropped with no issue, plus they have agents availabe 7 days/week.

Edited by Lemonlee
  • Like 1