How do you get prescriptions and mail on World Cruises?

Woofbite

As a single who keeps planning longer cruises I'm encountering problems with prescriptions and mail delivery even on shorter trips.

Timing doesn't always work out and I really don't have anyone I can trust to forward things so they will 

always arrive where/when needed.  The post office only holds mail 30 days and I hate to change addresses each cruise for all the stuff I receive.  Prescriptions are an even bigger problem.  Although CVS Caremark has vacation exceptions, it is a real hassle, requires approvals from two or three different departments and then there is a concern if the stuff will arrive before departure.

I'm sure someone on here has faced the problem and found a solution.  I'd appreciate knowing it.

One way I handle Rx for long trips is to bypass my insurance plan and use Goodrx. My primary Dr writes me a scrip for at least 90 days and check out Goodrx to see which local pharmacy has the best price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Prescriptions you can ask your pharmacist for an override and they will contact your insurance to lengthen your medications long enough to cover your absence.
Mail either forward to a willing friend or neighbor or there are services that will hold your mail and even E-mail you of what you have received. The latter has a fee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Depending on where you are traveling, you can often get many US prescriptions over the counter at very low prices in many parts of the world. Brand names or generics.

That is also one back-up option if this meets your own comfort level. Considering today many of our US medicines come from foreign manufacturers anyway.  

Malta was one of the most comprehensive located  right at the port, with full English language support.  I had a real romp one very long cruise looking for a particular brand of contact lens cleaner -heavy and bulky to pack sufficient fluid supplies.

Checked every port and was close to the end of the cruise in Malaysia and ready to give up. But I thought what the heck, and there it was finally.  Bausch and Lomb.  I lived in Europe a number of years, so using "foreign" purchased drugs are not a big problem for me. They like to be healthy too. 

• Like 1

On one long cruise going throughout the Indian Ocean, I picked up an eye infection.

DH is a retired ophthalmologist so he went into a local pharmacy in Mauritius Island,  and found they were willing to sell him a particular brand of RX medicated eyedrops, just  showing his US physician ID card.

That was a nice surprise. But the biggest surprise, that he never got over was how little the RX eye drops cost in Mauritius, compared to what US patients had to pay.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, secfan1 said:

One way I handle Rx for long trips is to bypass my insurance plan and use Goodrx. My primary Dr writes me a scrip for at least 90 days and check out Goodrx to see which local pharmacy has the best price.

We found Amazon to be less expensive than Good RX. Wonderful, fast customer service.

I have no idea about perscriptions  for Americans - but yes the rest of the world is cheaper! 

However for mail - its an annoyance for sure. Our mail only holds for 6 weeks -you're supposed to be able to extend but they stuff up. And couriers still deliver. We have an agreement with a nieghbour she keeps an eye on ours and we on hers - we usually aren't away at  the same time. 

I believe there are  virtual mail services too in the US - they will open anything you ask them to and  scan it and email it to you. 

Almost nothing that I receive in the mail is important anymore - all bills etc I get via email. 

Edited by lissie
  • Like 1

On one RX HealthWarehouse.com was cheaper by paying cash and not going through Insurance. The doctor then wrote a 180 refill. So, it pays to check, also we have asked for a paper RX and filled wherever we are. It is very easy as long as you are not trying to pain meds (narcotics), even then we ahve been able to go to local Dr. and request narcotics and been able to get a 30 day supply.