Princess Cruises - Wine in Plastic Container

BuckeyeTraveler

On 4/4/2023 at 1:44 PM, BuckeyeTraveler said:

I realize that Princess allows passengers to bring 1 bottle of wine onboard at embarkation but I am wondering if they would allow wine that was transferred from a glass wine bottle into a plastic container for the wine.  I will be traveling with some friends who are concerned of carrying a bottle of wine in the carry-on luggage, due to the weight, and would like to put the wine into a plastic container, which weighs much less.  Any ideas if this would be allowed? Thanks.

Oops!

Edited by PacnGoNow

On 4/5/2023 at 5:20 PM, JimmyVWine said:

The question posed was about including the bottle in the carry-on luggage at the port. Not a plane.  For a discussion about wine on planes, you would have to go to Flight Critic, not Cruise Critic. 

Oops!  I read it as airline too! My bad!

I admit I was skeptical.  So I put an empty wine bottle on the kitchen scale.  It came in at a hair under 19 ounces.  I think it said 511 grams when I looked at metric. That is more significant than I thought. I don’t know the weight of the intended plastic container, but a plastic 1 liter water bottle would surely be no more than a few ounces.  So, weight savings is possibly a pound.  Depending on how much you struggle to lift and carry a bag, it could be meaningful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 4:32 PM, JimmyVWine said:

That's easy advice to take until you taste several wines blind and later learn that the one you really liked is $200 per bottle!!  

That would be me!

On 4/5/2023 at 7:20 PM, BuckeyeTraveler said:

I am sorry but my original post seems to have been misunderstood by several people. I am not concerned that the bottle will break.... I said that I will be traveling with some people who have difficulty with their carry-on luggage due to the weight of the luggage....without any bottle.  They would like to be able to bring a bottle of wine on board, which is allowed on Princess, in their carry-on, but the bottle adds excess weight, along with the wine.  If they  could bring the wine in a plastic container, the weight would not be as much.  All of this is mute because one of the first responders mentioned that the wine has to be sealed in the original container.  Thank you all for your responses, even those of you who found it necessary to be nasty in your response, but I think this has been answered.

Just weighed my suitcase with 2 bottles & 2 books ... none of which will come off ship. 31.7 lbs. 21 lbs w/o wine & books. So yeah it adds up. 

I'm using this picked up at Total Wine. Rather inexpensive and reusable

https://www.totalwine.com/accessories-more/gift-supplies/gift-bags/wine-skin-2pk/p/108190920

Edited by Ombud

On 4/5/2023 at 4:52 PM, SargassoPirate said:

I had a buddy in college who used to joke that the best wine was drunk from a brown paper bag behind the store where you bought it.

I can see it now, someone drinking it from a paper bag during the show. 😆