Port disembarkation

Jonestown

We’re leaving for a 10 day on the Sky in June, and I’d really like to book some excursions through private companies rather than NCL for several reasons. How long does it typically take to disembark each morning?  What is the process for that?  If we dock at 8am and schedule an excursion for 9am do we have enough time?  I understand the port might dictate this, but I’m not asking about tender ports. TIA!

1 hour ago, Jonestown said:

And then how long to get everyone off?  Is there a certain queue we need to be in or request?

If the ship tenders — it stays away from land and passengers get in smaller boats and ride those to shore — then yes, you will need to pay attention to the ship’s instructions for tendering.  Generally, passengers in suites and those at the higher ranks of the loyalty program get to go first.  You may be told to get a tender ticket in advance and then they call those tickets by number when they are ready for you to get in a tender boat to go to shore.  Sometimes you may find a lengthy or very lengthy line during the tender process.  Tender times vary with the weather and the size of the tender boats. 

Your cruise confirmation should tell you which ports are tender ports. 

If the ship docks at the pier, you can pretty much get off as soon as the set up the ramp to the dock and they get clearance from the shore personnel.  This usually takes less than 20-30 minutes.  You can usually watch them setting up from a deck where there is an overlook.  I watch and then start down when they seem done setting up.  Most of the time, by the time I get there, they are letting people off.  Or just wait a few minutes and they will announce that you can now proceed to the lower deck and disembark.  When docked, there is usually no wait or a minimal wait to get off the ship. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising

2 hours ago, Jonestown said:

We’re leaving for a 10 day on the Sky in June, and I’d really like to book some excursions through private companies rather than NCL for several reasons. How long does it typically take to disembark each morning?  What is the process for that?  If we dock at 8am and schedule an excursion for 9am do we have enough time?  I understand the port might dictate this, but I’m not asking about tender ports. TIA!

9 am is fine. 

Bottom Line: The tour companies know the ship's schedule. They would not [should not] book you on an excursion which you can't make. That being said, 2000 of your new friends will all be wanting to get off of the ship around the same time. And if they are using facial recognition on the gangway, it will be a little slower. So, you and your party need to be in line at the gangway, ready to go and not still dabbling sunscreen on in your stateroom 15 minutes before your tour time. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

First time on a Norwegian ship and was wanting to know how strict they are with embarking and disembarking times? On their website they say we need to allow two hours before disembarking or embarking in ports due to security reasons. I do not want to waste 4 hours at each port if unnecessary, as I want to be shoreside for every last minute.

We are travelling on the Gem in late May from Trieste to Athens.

Thanks in advance

3 hours ago, Lbrygal said:

Hi,

First time on a Norwegian ship and was wanting to know how strict they are with embarking and disembarking times? On their website they say we need to allow two hours before disembarking or embarking in ports due to security reasons. I do not want to waste 4 hours at each port if unnecessary, as I want to be shoreside for every last minute.

Thanks in advance

The "two hour rule" is only for embarkation day (the very first day of your cruise). In all other ports on your cruise itinerary it is "all aboard" 30 minutes before the scheduled sailing time. And yes, they are strict with the 30 min. rule.

In tender ports they always announce when the last tender will go back to the ship, it is often about 60 min. before the scheduled sailing time. Usually there is a long waiting line for the tenders when it gets close to sailing time.

3 hours ago, Lbrygal said:

Hi,

Thanks in advance

One day NCL will correct that confusing statement on the website. You are one of many to be confused by it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lbrygal said:

Hi,

Thanks in advance

Hello!  Are you a librarian?  I am.