Boston traffic?

spleenstomper

We received an email from HAL a week or so ago talking about Boston construction affecting traffic and it could get bad getting to the airport upon debarking. They suggest you use their services for airport transfers. 

We are going to hang out a few days post cruise. 

Locals, is this a large issue? Thanks. 

Welcome to our world!🤪 I live 50 miles outside the city. Most people that I know when they go into the city for visiting or entertainment(museums, sports, theater, concerts etc...)reasons will park just outside the city and use the public transportation services(Bus, Train, Subway)and if I was a tourist visiting inside the city I would too. 

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2023/01/12/boston-traffic-fourth-worst-in-world-commute-time/

• Like 1

This info may be helpful to you as it gives weekly updates of the tunnel reconstruction.  It also includes a link to the MBTA Trip Planner with information about public transportation in Boston. When is your cruise?

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/sumner-tunnel-restoration-traffic-and-construction-updates

Edited by marys350
  • Like 1

In all honesty, I would just plan to add a little more time to your airport trips. Between the port and airport is such a quick shot I can't imagine it being too much of an issue. From the Fanueil Hall area, another option is to take the Blue line from the aquarium (across from Marriot Long Wharf) or State Street (Old State House by the Hyatt) to the airport. From there, there is a shuttle that will pick you up and take you to the terminal.

• Like 2

I live in Cambridge. The traffic is definitely worse when the tunnel is closed - but not you can't get from A to B bad. I would say it added twenty minutes to the trip from the airport home (all basically between the airport and the Seaport). 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, marys350 said:

This info may be helpful to you as it gives weekly updates of the tunnel reconstruction.  It also includes a link to the MBTA Trip Planner with information about public transportation in Boston. When is your cruise?

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/sumner-tunnel-restoration-traffic-and-construction-updates

End in Boston on May 8

10 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

End in Boston on May 8

You should be fine since May 8th is a Monday and the tunnel will only be closed on weekends in May. The tunnel is scheduled to be closed 7 days per week during the summer, from July 5 - August 31, 2023.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/sumner-tunnel-restoration-project-details-and-closure-schedule

Edited by marys350
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 12:16 PM, spleenstomper said:

We received an email from HAL a week or so ago talking about Boston construction affecting traffic and it could get bad getting to the airport upon debarking. They suggest you use their services for airport transfers. 

We are going to hang out a few days post cruise. 

Locals, is this a large issue? Thanks. 

How are their services going to be any quicker?  They use the same tunnels a taxi or uber or private vehicle would take.

There are weekend closures of the Sumner Tunnel that goes from the airport to Downtown.  There are no closures of the Ted Williams Tunnel that goes from the airport to the area nearer to the Cruise Terminal, but that tunnel is taking on the extra traffic from the Sumner.

There are no weekday closures or issues beyond normal Boston traffic

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Two tunnel systems, one major bridge and a few back ways to get to the airport. The oldest tunnels are the Callahan & Sumner, only the Sumner will be closed, the other one will be two-way traffic if needed. You should be fine.

My flight from Boston to ATL was changed from 11:00 AM to 10:05 (arriving from Canada on Celebrity) on Wed. Aug. 30.  Should I change to the noon flight or will we make it in time?

3 hours ago, Lindypc said:

My flight from Boston to ATL was changed from 11:00 AM to 10:05 (arriving from Canada on Celebrity) on Wed. Aug. 30.  Should I change to the noon flight or will we make it in time?

Not sure when you are arriving, but I would definitely consider changing it - you'll be dealing with rush hour traffic, etc. It's not far from the cruiseport, but in traffic it can take 40 minutes or more.

16 hours ago, Lindypc said:

I'd pick the noon flight.