Live from the Eclipse, Apr 19 - May 21, Sydney to Honolulu to Vancouver B3B in an Aqua Cabin

Ken the cruiser

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I have a request for anyone currently on our Eclipse cruise from Honolulu to Vancouver AND you are reading this using the Celebrity Basic Internet service. Would you mind running the following internet speed test and posting the results to include what type of device you’re using and where you did the test from.

Will these people with basic wi-fi be able to read your request or is this like asking for a show of hands from "people that could not be here"?

Edited by mahdnc
  • Haha 1

Just now, mahdnc said:

Will these people with basic wi-fi be able to read your request or is this like asking for a show of hands for "people that could not be here"?

Probably not to your first point and probably yes to your second point, unless like my DW suggested their travel partner upgraded to premium while the other didn’t and curiosity caused the premier user who was reading my thread to ask the basic user to do the test. 😁

I have a request for anyone currently on our Eclipse cruise from Honolulu to Vancouver AND you are reading this using the Celebrity Basic Internet service. Would you mind running the following internet speed test and posting the results to include what type of device you’re using and where you did the test from. I went to the iLounge to see if I could get them to do the test using the Basic service and they couldn’t because they were on the corporate WiFi connection rather than the one we are using. She did say they don’t allow streaming on Basic, but I think it’s definitely more limited than that. Personally, I will be surprised if anyone onboard using the Basic service can even see this post. 

www.speedtest.net

For example, I’m using their premium service and got the following results on my iPhone in our cabin. 

IMG_6212.jpeg.3bb85470d6bb0e201bea50208b90a8d0.jpeg

This reason I’m curious is because I overheard a lady at breakfast this morning saying she hasn’t been able to access the internet for more than a minute or two the last 2-3 days. 🤔

I'm following along, my parents are on the Hawaii-Vancouver leg and have basic internet. They only seem to be able to iMessage and WhatsApp text from their phones at this point. They had me renew an ebook borrowed from the library that's on their iPad and the Libby app doesn't get access to the basic wifi.

• Thanks 2

Last night we had quite the wave action going to sleep which we always enjoy! It’s calmed down a bit today, but supposedly sometime this evening the seas are going to calm down considerably.

Here’s the view from our balcony right now around 1:45 pm.

IMG_1160.thumb.jpeg.67b7a8388a1e04930ae22f0f08acdaf2.jpeg

As you can see we’re about 1/2 the way there.

IMG_1163.thumb.jpeg.f901c0782123029fbd9b80271b422d66.jpeg

right about where the yellow stuff is. 😂

IMG_1162.thumb.jpeg.c7825a247c73d976d929c5fccc9debb4.jpeg

This morning after breakfast we headed off to the theater to watch another great presentation by Brent Nixon on the life and times of the Sea Otters! 

IMG_6213.thumb.jpeg.96457257002b527db94ff17bad575248.jpeg

with all of the animation that usually comes along with his presentations! 😁

IMG_6217.thumb.jpeg.b81ed40eec992b03bd1c6f479b74d174.jpeg

Then after lunch in the MDR we headed over to Celebrity Central to watch Nina’s presentation about deep diving whales and dolphins.

IMG_6218.thumb.jpeg.1f94e1a9ea2bed86416c73bb3e1ce7ae.jpeg

At 3:30 pm we’ll be heading back to the theater to watch Mary Amanda give an historical lecture about Victoria BC, which should be interesting as that will be our first stop once we get to Canada in 3 days.

• Like 6

While we were dining in Blu this evening, I glanced through the window and saw a black bird. I know what’s the big deal other than we’re seriously out in the middle of know where! 😂

IMG_6224.jpeg.79936f254a4c17c23dc0ba2ae67ad979.jpeg

This evening after dinner we went and saw the third production show on this leg of our cruise, Broadway Cabaret 

IMG_6229.thumb.jpeg.18624f31f914985454200610f198fa46.jpeg

and afterwards because we’re heading farther north the sun is setting a little later every evening. It was about 8 pm when I took this photo.

IMG_6232.thumb.jpeg.9ad80abde7efdd77648592cab603f53e.jpeg

Also, tonight there is another late night adults only comedy show featuring Mark Simmons.

IMG_6227.thumb.jpeg.dff265d46f2270383ee977b6194bbbb4.jpeg

As I’ve continually mentioned, there is no shortage of entertainment on this cruise. 😁

• Like 4

Wow! I just pulled up Auckland on windy.com and I’m sure glad we’re not going through “The Ditch” tonight! 😱

For those in New Zealand following my thread, please stay safe as that cyclone looking wind mass definitely does not look good!

IMG_1181.thumb.jpeg.4c9e55eef9bf08d00b19efc31fe8e32e.jpeg

• Like 2

Looks like it’s going to be smooth sailing the rest of the way to Victoria with a scheduled arrival day after tomorrow around 8 am. 

IMG_6237.thumb.jpeg.ebdf0ce7b0e86b3ab48693702a91ce77.jpeg

IMG_1185.thumb.jpeg.6467c30d1fe1dc20645a235cea70289c.jpeg

IMG_1187.thumb.jpeg.9b82f2f822d3914b3777423f62333822.jpeg

As far as entertainment today, we’re going to another Brent Nixon nature lecture about whales this morning, and then in the afternoon a matinee featuring a magician/comedian we saw the other night followed by a lecture by Mary Amanda about Vancouver.

The following speed test was taken around 10 am this morning out on our balcony with the door closed as it’s a little chilly again today which from what can tell is going to stay that way until we fly home from Vancouver on Sunday. Also, the speed test for the first time is pinging off of a server in Washington state. Prior to this it was pinging off of one in Los Angeles. I wonder if that has anything to do with the slower download speed and the fast upload speed? In any event I didn’t have any issues posting these pictures. 

IMG_1184.thumb.jpeg.18fe2562b0c873d6335c214bc8e32988.jpeg

Here’s another fun fact. When we arrived in New Zealand over 3 weeks ago, I wore a flannel shirt and it looks like I’ll be doing the same once we get to Victoria where it’s forecasted to be in the mid 60s. Brrrr! 😂

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Here’s another fun fact. When we arrived in New Zealand over 3 weeks ago, I wore a flannel shirt and it looks like I’ll be doing the same once we get to Victoria where it’s forecasted to be in the mid 60s. Brrrr! 😂

At  least you had the privilege of wearing shorts and t-shirts for more than half of that time! 

• Like 1

I can't believe this adventure is coming to an end in just a few days.

Again, thank you for the virtual tour.

Earlier, you talked about Africa. 

Can you please post the link 

Would love  to take that journey next :))

53 minutes ago, CGinMTL said:

I can't believe this adventure is coming to an end in just a few days.

Again, thank you for the virtual tour.

Earlier, you talked about Africa. 

Can you please post the link 

Would love  to take that journey next :))

Thanks and thanks for coming along for the ride! If you expand my below signature, you’ll see the link to my Africa Live From thread on the NCL Jade from last Nov/Dec. My next Live From thread will be in July on our Japan B2B on the Diamond Princess. I’ll post that link to the end of this cruise once I start it up in early July. 😁

• Like 4

This morning we listened to Brent Nixon’s lecture on eagles (not whales) which was fascinating as usual.

IMG_6238.thumb.jpeg.058b46cfa2b3587d8129a0f77746ccfe.jpeg

IMG_6240.thumb.jpeg.95675ec764934a469dc77fae0f3da887.jpeg

IMG_6246.thumb.jpeg.b6fc6da7a1c45ce2a3303bde214b5f36.jpeg

Then after lunch up in the OVC which for some reason along with the MDR was packed, we went to watch Bob Brizendine’s matinee performance, which was probably the reason why all of the dining areas were packed so early! 😂

IMG_6251.thumb.jpeg.0f7e4e2db88a37453723ca988cd6d66f.jpeg

IMG_6252.thumb.jpeg.7476950642a8c9a5694745ec00da88a1.jpeg

Then we’re heading back a few minutes after taking a break back in the cabin to listen to Mary Amanda’s talk about Vancouver. Then after dinner, the evening show tonight is Unique 3.

IMG_6250.thumb.jpeg.ae5fd0d6e49f86b0931fdd1d47d21ead.jpeg

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 4

While we were watching the evening show, Unique3, the Captain announced over the loud speaker that due to a medical emergency, we are making a course correction and heading to Astoria, Oregon where someone will be transferred to a hospital there. The trip should take about 15 hours. If the time estimate is correct, the transfer should happen around 10:30 am tomorrow morning. Unsure if it will be a medivac via helicopter or by some other means.

However, the Captain also noted we should still arrive on time at 8 am in Victoria on Saturday. Here’s our current location and the link to keep track of our progress for those interested. They’ve made the slight course course correction and we’re heading for that blue dot which represents Astoria, which is at the entrance to the Columbia River.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9404314

IMG_1214.thumb.jpeg.1ee4ebd192bd2f230d5f4068468ae5dd.jpeg

• Like 4

So much for clear weather. It’s about 10 am this morning, foggy and 56 degrees. But the seas are calm! 😂

IMG_1215.thumb.jpeg.ff36ab013473f0eb07269c4bff2f2840.jpeg

The Captain says we should arrive at the mouth of the Colombia River around 12:30 pm where the helicopter medivac will take place.

IMG_1216.thumb.jpeg.7ede688050ff5984479e620ba3d84a18.jpeg

• Like 3

This morning we watched the last Brent Nixon lecture about Orcas

IMG_6260.thumb.jpeg.9ed8c099ce6ed9254f71441da85a3b89.jpeg

IMG_6261.thumb.jpeg.68717e72316e8cd21972eaf0013a942b.jpeg

Then after lunch in the MDR, we were off to Celebrity Central to watch Nina’s last whale lecture.

IMG_6263.thumb.jpeg.e78caaf31397d425e0e1fc5690a904ee.jpeg

During her presentation, the Captain came over the loud speaker around 1:20 pm and said the medivac by helicopter with the help of the US Coast Guard was successful and we’re once again headed towards Victoria.

IMG_1222.thumb.jpeg.f615fc57e817276bb8afda95d849a2af.jpeg

Headed back to the cabin until we go see Mary Amanda’s last talk called Last Song of the Titanic, and noticed it’s still foggy outside.

IMG_6264.thumb.jpeg.c849300a581b6cb9a8cf7d39546498cb.jpeg

As far as the internet speeds go, the upload speed is a little weak today but workable.

IMG_1224.jpeg.ab58ffdc8ee7b4aadd0502cf3fdbc20f.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks to the recent @OnTheJourney thread about Blu, it got us thinking about the canapés we used to get in the afternoons when we had previously booked an Aqua cabin, most recently on the Summit back in August and on the Constellation the previous December. Not anymore. When I called Guest Services to confirm this, they said only concierge cabins (besides the suites) get them. She also suggested we check out the website to see what the current perks are for booking an Aqua cabin.

So I did and guess what, there are no more “daily delectable delights”, but there was a “Welcome bottle of sparkling wine (upon request)”. If I remember correctly, which sometimes isn’t always the case 😂, we used to get this automatically delivered to our cabin on the first day when we boarded the ship. Unfortunately, I didn’t remember this until yesterday when I checked the website, so we missed out on 3 bottles of the free bubbly, as we’re on a B2B2B. 😱

Oh well, hopefully I’ll remember this on our next Celebrity cruise in an Aqua cabin in July 2024. But if you’re curious about the actual perks of either Aqua or Concierge cabins, here’s what is currently on the website.

IMG_1225.thumb.jpeg.10f6b7bb0f2b19ba595225fa6d229b4b.jpeg

Then I checked out Concierge just to verify they still get the Daily Delectable Delights, and they do, plus the bottle of bubbly (but only if they remember or even know to request it). 😂

IMG_1226.thumb.jpeg.6f7303799cc1924fae5275718e4585ad.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks to the recent @OnTheJourney thread about Blu, it got us thinking about the canapés we used to get in the afternoons when we had previously booked an Aqua cabin, most recently on the Summit back in August and on the Constellation the previous December. Not anymore. When I called Guest Services to confirm this, they said only concierge cabins (besides the suites) get them. She also suggested we check out the website to see what the current perks are for booking an Aqua cabin.

So I did and guess what, there are no more “daily delectable delights”, but there was a “Welcome bottle of sparkling wine (upon request)”. If I remember correctly, which sometimes isn’t always the case 😂, we used to get this automatically delivered to our cabin on the first day when we boarded the ship. Unfortunately, I didn’t remember this until yesterday when I checked the website, so we missed out on 3 bottles of the free bubbly, as we’re on a B2B2B. 😱

Oh well, hopefully I’ll remember this on our next Celebrity cruise in an Aqua cabin in July 2024. But if you’re curious about the actual perks of either Aqua or Concierge cabins, here’s what is currently on the website.

Then I checked out Concierge just to verify they still get the Daily Delectable Delights, and they do, plus the bottle of bubbly (but only if they remember or even know to request it). 😂

Actually, you picked up on something I noticed a bit ago (couple months now...) that 'upon request' you get the welcome treatment. Truth be told, I had to chuckle a bit at having to request a 'welcome' bottle...

And you bring up another chuckle...Aqua doesn't get the daily delectable but Concierge does...??

Doesn't one pay more for Aqua? I'm sure there is something I'm missing...lol.

Anyhow, thanks for your absolutely great live thread. It gives me great reassurance of my cruise next year!!  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Actually, you picked up on something I noticed a bit ago (couple months now...) that 'upon request' you get the welcome treatment. Truth be told, I had to chuckle a bit at having to request a 'welcome' bottle...

And you bring up another chuckle...Aqua doesn't get the daily delectable but Concierge does...??

Doesn't one pay more for Aqua? I'm sure there is something I'm missing...lol.

Anyhow, thanks for your absolutely great live thread. It gives me great reassurance of my cruise next year!!  

I like the laundry service that is listed as a Concierge Class service.

Somehow AquaClass seems to exclusively get "plentiful storage space".

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I like the laundry service that is listed as a Concierge Class service.

Somehow AquaClass seems to exclusively get "plentiful storage space".

'Plentiful storage space'  to stash my dirty clothes!! Brillant!

🤣🤣🤪

• Haha 4

I've always pondered on what is the point of Concierge? Not sure this answers the question but at least they get some nibbles that you don't in Aqua. Meanwhile ...... there us Blu!

3 hours ago, Redking said:

I've always pondered on what is the point of Concierge? Not sure this answers the question but at least they get some nibbles that you don't in Aqua. Meanwhile ...... there us Blu!

When we started cruising with Celebrity back in 2012 to include getting 180 CC points for a 10-day Galapagos cruise (another story), we started booking aft-facing concierge cabins for the 5 CC points per day rather than 3 for a regular balcony, for the embarkation lunch which comes in handy on B2B cruises on transition day, the free bottle of wine, and the daily afternoon canapés. Separately, they’re not that great. But if you add them together it made the cruise just a little more enjoyable, especially if the upgrade cost from a regular balcony wasn’t that much more. 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This evening while dining in Blu, the sky was overcast but still had a unique look to it.

IMG_6266.thumb.jpeg.8e145196565881870bc66f3bdc039532.jpeg

Then we had dessert at Cafe Al Bacio on the way to see the evening production show Amade.

IMG_6265.thumb.jpeg.ed65b6cc99d23276f9e06545d809b5e6.jpeg

IMG_6268.thumb.jpeg.6fc85794776ec744d57779528e0c5ffd.jpeg

IMG_6273.thumb.jpeg.43f103b5beaf22682218b99e1c3d8f8b.jpeg

Then after the This or That Game Show and Pub Quiz, we headed back to the cabin to get ready for our fun day tomorrow visiting with family in Victoria, to include going to have tea and walking around the town looking at all that we can see! 😁

IMG_1164.thumb.jpeg.e66ba407f5564e91cdd6134897b35cff.jpeg

• Like 2