Elite vs Suite vs Plus and Premier Perks

MHMarkL

We are Platinum and soon to be Elite and have sometimes booked Suites (partially to get credit for 2 cruises). Now that there are Plus and Premier packages, there seem to be a lot of overlapping perks like internet. Seems that if you are in a Suite or Elite, the packages become less worth the price? Also seems like if you are Elite, the Suites become less worth the price like mini-bar set ups, canapes, embarkation lounges and free laundry. What are the other overlapping perks? If you are Elite, do you still book suites?    

3 hours ago, MHMarkL said:

We are Platinum and soon to be Elite and have sometimes booked Suites (partially to get credit for 2 cruises). Now that there are Plus and Premier packages, there seem to be a lot of overlapping perks like internet. Seems that if you are in a Suite or Elite, the packages become less worth the price? Also seems like if you are Elite, the Suites become less worth the price like mini-bar set ups, canapes, embarkation lounges and free laundry. What are the other overlapping perks? If you are Elite, do you still book suites?    

I do..just got off one a week ago.  There are no internet perks for a suite.  You get it 50% off for being Elite.  Depending on the length of the cruise, sometimes I like 2 mini bar set ups.  Last one was 18 days so it was great.  Laundry is faster in a suite regardless of how many Elites are on board.  It can take up to 3 days if a lot of elites are on board, in a suite it's either same day or next day depending on what time your steward picks it up. Room service is faster.  You can order from the MDR and eat in your cabin or on your balcony for any meal the MDR is open.  I do the plus package also...if you're in a suite your daily gratuity is more so it's actually a benefit of the package since the package price is the same regardless of cabin.  I aso like my mid afternoon specialty coffee.  And maybe a wine while I dress for dinner.  To sum up...I'm elite, I love a suite and I always buy a package.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Real estate size is the major advantage. I also book mostly suites and some perks do not overlap like Reserve Class dining (not an elite perk) and breakfast at the specialty restaurant. On cruises of 6 nights or longer suites have an embarkation dinner at the specialty restaurant of their choice. The mini bar is double, one for the elite tier and another for the suite. Some ships have a concierge lounge. 

Princess suite perks are nothing to brag about. I like RCL's top tier perks better which are equivalent to Princess suite perks and then some.

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 1

All of the above plus the benefits of the concierge and lounge.  Any request or issues are resolved immediately by the concierge.

Our first cruise was on the original Love Boat.  Had an inside cabin.

Worked our way up to a balcony cabin.  Then, we started getting Mini Suites.

We started booking full suites last year.  Honestly, we loved every cabin we had, BUT not sure we would want to book anything other than a suite.

• Like 2

For me the only important Elite benefits that remain are laundry and tender service should there be a tender port. With plus fares the only use for the mini bar for me is to get the canned sodas that you can't get with the packages. The internet discount is only a benefit if you do not purchase the inclusive fares. Full suites receive lots of benefits now as well as in the past that were not related to loyalty status.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1

The concierge lounge is only on Royal class ships. We are elite and book suites. Most of our cruises are 14 days or more so the 2nd mini bar is helpful. We also get the plus package for grats, WiFi and the 8-12 drinks we each have every day. The room service deal is not so great since all courses come together and mostly lukewarm. I was in covid jail for 6 days last month and never had a good meal delivered. 

• Like 1